This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When do/should paternal rights start?

13»

Comments

• edited October 2009
    When the hell did people start feeling the NEED to modify the font so much? You can make a point with out it.
    And uh... why exactly does that bother you so much? You can also make a point along with it, and you can emphasize the tone of voice you want your post to be read in, thus enhancing communication. Wow!
    Dey is sho' nuff de Debbil. Now pass dem crawdads. AAAIIIEEEEEEEEE!

Tu es si jolie, ma cher.
    You must record yourself talking Cajun for us, if you already haven't. :)
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited October 2009
    I'm late in coming to this thread, but I have to emphasize Emily's previous point:
    What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who's genetic material it is. Just because it has 50 percent your DNA in it, that does not matter. I would argue that you do not own your DNA once it is outside your being and in someone else's.
    Indeed.
    Also, if a father was to be given paternal rights at conception, then his additional right to take off and abandon his partner and child immediately after conception should be completely stripped from him.
    I also have to agree with this, and I think that paternal rights at conception should not be the default. Guardianship of the child should be at the mother's discretion unless some kind of agreement has been made. It's probably reasonable to say that marriage implicitly constitutes such an agreement, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Actually, it's reckless endangerment, at least in New York.
    I stand corrected.

What aboutendagering the welfare of a child?Can you hit someone for both?
    As my Crim Law professor would say, what do YOU think? Sure, you can be charged with multiple crimes. The critical question is if the elements are met. I'd bet you would have to show evidence that there was a specific child whose welfare was endangered for that one.
  • edited October 2009
    As my Crim Law professor would say, what do YOU think?Su
    I think you can, but I don't quite remember. In any event, I'd very much like to, as I think we should be completely merciless to the anti-vaccine crowd. If they've refused to get a child vaccinated for anything other than a verifiable medical reason, I'd say they should be charged with both reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Did...did you not see my answer? I cannot imagine that someone with your observational skills would have missed it. :P
  • Did...did you not see my answer? I cannot imagine that someone with your observational skills would have missed it. :P
    I saw your answer after I posted. I was like, "WTF are those white letters in what I quoted?"
  • edited October 2009
    HJ: If you and I weren't married to others, I would run away with you.
    Cher, Joe's épouse, she no unnerstan' Joe.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on