This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Catholic Church attempts to extort Washington D.C.

edited November 2009 in News
Well, I guess some people really have a big problem with the Constitution and that pesky first amendment:
The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.
I am fucking disgusted.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    We discussed this in the fail thread. It was pointed out that the DC council would be sad to see the church leave their partnership, but aren't going to be held hostage by them.

EDIT: Also, as much I don't want to stick up for the Catholic church, they're within their rights to do this. If they want to be stick in the muds about this, let them be.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I see it as pretty clear cut.:
    Church: Follow our religious doctrine or we're not going to help your city.
    D.C.: There are other people who will do public works without extortion. If you don't want our public money, than leave.
  • As I've said before, it's absolutely possible to be within your rights and be a raging asshole at the same time. :P
  • As I've said before, it's absolutely possible to be within your rights and be a raging asshole at the same time. :P
    So true, this is why we should never give religious organizations federal money.
  • Eff. If I was in the DC Diocese, I'd leave the church...Hell, I'm halfway across the country and I'm still considering it because of this. Bishops, I am fucking disappoint.
  • PIcture
    Oh fuck you America. Fuck you.
  • VOTE
    YES
    ON BREAKFAST

1 Water + 1 Oats
    = Porridge
  • VOTE
    YES
    ON BULLSHIT

1 Bull + 1 Shit
    = our forte
  • VOTE
    YES
    ON SUSHI

1 fish + 1 rice
    = delicicous
  • VOTE
    YES
    ON MEMES

1 joke + 9,001 repetitions
    = hilarious
  • My parents, virulent homophobes though they may be, did a spit-take when they heard about this. My only reaction:

• VOTE
    YES
    ON LOLCATS

1 joke + 1 or more cats
    = hilarious and cute.
  • VOTE
    YES
    ON FACEPALM

1 face + 1 palm
    = picard
  • VOTE
    YES
    ON GOALPOSTS

1 tractor + 1 goalpost
    = moving them.
  • edited November 2009
    VOTE
    YES
    ON KILARNEY

1 man + 1 mindset
    = Hurr durr

EDIT: Okay, I'm done with this meme.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2009
    VOTE
    YES
    ON SCOTT

1 set of curtains + 1 set of teacups
    = Scott gets a show on HGTV
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • = Scott gets a show on HGTV
    To be fair, I would totally watch that show.
  • To be fair, I would totally watch that show.
    I probably would, too. I tuned in for Scott Scott Robot...
  • I probably would, too. I tuned in for Scott Scott Robot...
    Oh yeah? I tuned in to Scott's Unemployment feed.

It's official, then.

VOTE
    YES
    ON SCOTT

1 Scott + 1 Webcam
    = Camwhore. But not really, of course.
  • Putting the term camwhore on Scott gives me very unpleasant thoughts.
  • Okay, everybody stop. This aint 4chan. There's 4chan for 4chan. This is the Front Row Crew Forum: Ivory Tower of The Internet. There is a serious discussion to be had here and, at the very least, we should explore it before we do all this crap.
  • Okay, everybody stop. This aint 4chan. There's 4chan for 4chan. This is the Front Row Crew Forum: Ivory Tower of The Internet. There is a serious discussion to be had here and, at the very least, we should explore it before we do all this crap.
  • Okay, everybody serious. This is the Front Row Crew Forum: Ivory Tower of The Internet. There's Front Row Crew Forum: Ivory Tower of The Internet for Front Row Crew Forum: Ivory Tower of The Internet. This ain't 4chan. There is explore it to be had here and, at the very least, we should a serious discussion before we do all this crap.
  • Wow, there's an echo in this thread.
  • Hmm...Interesting...Let's test this!
    I believe that there may be some higher form of power beyond our understanding!

;)
    No there isn't, DC has handled the situation completely logically and on their own.

ON WITH THE SHITCOCKERY!
  • As a Catholic I am very dissapointed, but then again I dissagree with many things that they think. I am mostly Catholic because of the "Tradition".
  • As a Catholic I am very dissapointed, but then again I dissagree with many things that they think. I am mostly Catholic because of the "Tradition".
    That is kind of a crummy reason to align yourself with a particular ideology.