This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Teenagers doing the wrong thing

OzOz
edited November 2009 in Everything Else
Over the past few weeks, I have started noticing that my fellow classmates have a troubling lack of morals, or are just misguided. A few examples would probably help clear up what I mean, so here they go. One of my friends who I have been friends with for about three years started asking me about programming languages, and which one was the best. After explaining to him that the best one depends one what you are doing, I got curious and asked him what he was planning on doing. His answer completely shocked me. He answered, "To make a computer virus." After he said that, I asked him why he wold want to make a computer virus, and he told me it was for protection. He wanted to make a virus that, "Would destroy the hard drive of anybody trying to 'hack' his computer." This was slightly disturbing to me, partly because I never expected him to say/think of something like that, but also because his moral compass seems well aligned. Granted, he doesn't have a large amount of computer knowledge (he told me the week before to use Linux instead of Ubuntu), but you don't need to have a lot of computer knowledge to know that making a virus that destroys hard drives is a bad idea.

Another example is somebody in my Chemistry class I just met the other day (well, it obviously wasn't the first time I met him, but it was the first time I had an extended conversation with him). I started talking to him, and it turned out that he was into computers and stuff, and so I thought I'd scope him out as a potential friend. While we were talking, I started drawing on a sheet of paper we had been given earlier that day. It was a sheet with an e-mail address on it, where you could send submissions to our schools yearbook. He saw this, and said that I should go to 4chan and post it so the yearbook staff would be flooded with photos from 4chan. That pretty much killed any hope of a potential friendship between he and I, but he continued to talk about his various computer adventures. They included using a method of creating an anonymous link on our school computers, and using it to try do download viruses onto our schools system. Now, I had actually known about how to do this, and had made a link on one school computer detailing how to make links. The difference in what we had done with the knowledge made me almost jump with joy when the bell rang and I could stop talking to this kid.

Yet another example of teenagers having a lack of an idea of how to be good and moral (or even polite) is this. Yesterday, me and my best friend went to see Where the Wild Things Are (Good movie, actually). When we were watching the movie, the row in front of us (which was filled with 8-9th graders) took out there cellphones about 5 minutes into the movie and started texting. The entire row did this, not just one person. They kept this up the ENTIRE movie, with only one person bothering to turn down their brightness.

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't know if this is an isolated trend, or if it is widespread. Are the teenagers of today all like this, and I've missed something, or are these people just abnormalities? If this is normal, have teenagers always been so clueless (I'm assuming their/our behavior is out of ignorance, not malice {except for the person in my second example})?

Sorry for the rant. :-)

Comments

• You realize how much like Holden Caufield you sound right about now, yes?
  • Yeah, but he doesn't want kids to stay ignorant, he just wants them to keep the hacker ethic.
  • They are, and I hate it.
  • Unfortunately, yes, most teenagers I meet are just jerks. Seeing as how I am a teenager, this kind of sucks.
    I think teens have always been this way.
  • Wait a second. Your right.

THEY'RE ALL JUST PUNK KIDS!
  • edited November 2009
    Over the past few weeks, I have started noticing that my fellow classmates have a troubling lack of morals, or are just misguided. A few examples would probably help clear up what I mean, so here they go. One of my friends who I have been friends with for about three years started asking me about programming languages, and which one was the best. After explaining to him that the best one depends one what you are doing, I got curious and asked him what he was planning on doing. His answer completely shocked me. He answered, "To make a computer virus." After he said that, I asked him why he wold want to make a computer virus, and he told me it was for protection. He wanted to make a virus that, "Would destroy the hard drive of anybody trying to 'hack' his computer." This was slightly disturbing to me, partly because I never expected him to say/think of something like that, but also because his moral compass seems well aligned. Granted, he doesn't have a large amount of computer knowledge (he told me the week before to use Linux instead of Ubuntu), but you don't need to have a lot of computer knowledge to know that making a virus that destroys hard drives is a bad idea.
    I see nothing wrong with this. Learning to write a computer virus is a educational endeavor. How he uses that knowledge should determine what you think of him. I've written a few just to learn how they work and a result I got very interested in learning about computers. Back in middle school and highschool we always messed up the computers in our free time. We figured out how to bypass the security and run mirc and install games on flash drives and play laggy network games. Probably, shouldn't have done that but, we learned a lot doing instead of just sticking to the boring lessen plan.

As for the other paragraph that's a person you should avoid. As Axel said there always have been angsty teens doing this kind of stuff.

Oh and.. GET OFF MY LAWN YOU TROLLOPS!
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Two words: Anecdotal evidence.
  • edited November 2009
    We figured out how to bypass the security and run mirc and install games on flash drives and play laggy network games. Probably, should not have done that but we learned a lot doing instead of just sticking to the boring lessen plan.
    Same here. In fact, we told the IT guys about it, and they congratulated us and noted that "they [knew] nothing about it" if anyone asked.

EDIT: Also, I taught myself to build model rockets after having played with Estes rockets for most of my childhood and learning about redox reactions in HS chem. I melted a hole an inch deep in my driveway with rocket candy and later built the most terrific smoke device the block had ever seen with almost a kilo of leftover propellant. Dumb teenage shenanigans? Yeah, but I'll be damned if I didn't learn something from all that work!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I felt so old when I started saying I don't like teenagers and they annoy me. A little newsflash though, I see 20 somethings act the same way. Hell, I see people older than me act like teens. Lamers.
  • edited November 2009
    Saw them daily at college and complaining in class; because they were late or missed a assignment(being lazy). Switched to night classes because of it and that helped me avoid them.
    Same here. In fact, we told the IT guys about it, and they congratulated us and noted that "they [knew] nothing about it" if anyone asked.

EDIT: Also, I taught myself to build model rockets after having played with Estes rockets for most of my childhood and learning about redox reactions in HS chem. I melted a hole an inch deep in my driveway with rocket candy and later built the most terrific smoke device the block had ever seen with almost a kilo of leftover propellant. Dumb teenage shenanigans? Yeah, but I'll be damned if I didn't learn something from all that work!
    One of the dumbest things I remember a friend doing is setting his driveway on fire. Thought it would be a great idea to dumb a line of gas to a pile of fireworks. Singed his hair off his arms and had to explain the black streak on the driveway and road to his parents. :p
    Post edited by Alan on
  • I felt so old when I started saying I don't like teenagers and they annoy me. A little newsflash though, I see 20 somethings act the same way. Hell, I see people older than me act like teens. Lamers.
    I felt bad saying that and I'm 15. I've still got a ways until I'm not surrounded by this mess.

• I see nothing wrong with this. Learning to write a computer virus is a educational endeavor. How he uses that knowledge should determine what you think of him. I've written a few just to learn how they work and a result I got very interested in learning about computers. Back in middle school and highschool we always messed up the computers in our free time. We figured out how to bypass the security and run mirc and install games on flash drives and play laggy network games. Probably, shouldn't have done that but, we learned a lot doing instead of just sticking to the boring lessen plan.
    Good point.
  • edited November 2009
    Actually, I kind of cracked up reading this post. The idea of the yearbook submissions being filled by 4chan is not evil, persay, but more the kind of prankery that goofy kids engage in. We would go around changing all the windows 98 start up screen images to weird things (Such as a screen saying "Please wait while your computer SHUTS YOU DOWN." My signature hacker pic was a creepy pic of lain saying "welcome to the wired!") We constantly hacked the computer lab computers so we could use them for things other than their intended purpose, but nothing ever truly damaging, just perplexing to the old lady TA's.

I totally agree with Alan. I had a very similar High School experience, and it taught me a lot. Nobody got hurt, everyone had a good laugh, and we learned our way around windows.

They are immature, and as such, lack adult morals. But are they truly bad? Your curious friend who wants to write a virus is misguided, but if he actually learned about programming than maybe he would mature a little bit and use that knowledge for good. I'll tell you another thing: My nerdy computer friend who taught us all the windows hacks and came up with most of our pranks? He now works for banks doing computer security: All that hacking helped him learn how to keep hackers out. His dream is to work for the government and he takes his job very seriously. Who knows? After they tired themselves out being asshats, maybe they will become like him.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I remember when I used to make threads like this.
  • Teenagers making bad decisions, having little understanding or foresight into the consequences of their actions, and have little-to-no empathy with those who may be hurt or damaged by their actions? Really? Why I never?!
  • I say again, Punk Kids.
  • edited November 2009
    Teenagers making bad decisions, having little understanding or foresight into the consequences of their actions, and have little-to-no empathy with those who may be hurt or damaged by their actions?
    Aren't all teenagers smart young people whose talent and intelligence inevitable wane as they age into stupid old people? Aren't these the people that Scott said should run the country in the "Internet Ruins" episode?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • In general i've always found that most teenagers tend to be idiots lacking in moral standards, common sense, and manners. Even when i was a teenager, i am 20 now, i still found this to be true. Actually i think its getting worse with new generations. In my opinion, there are a lot of factors that cause to this and you cant just blame one. such as home life, family and friends, the moral of your family and friends, where you live, what you watch, etc. etc. i could go on for ever, and please understand that these factors effect each person differently and effect them in different degrees.

example: i watched the Simpsons when i was a kid but i haven't seen it in a long time. when the other day i saw it on tv i said to my bro, sonic-kun, "how the hell did we survive our childhood watching stuff like this?" noting the amount of violence of the show.

"we are a product of our environment."
  • This is just who teenagers are. Always have been, always will be. If you're not the one being a stupid teenager, you're the one complaining about how stupid all the other teenagers are. I'm 30 now, and for a while, my old-man instincts were kicking in hard, and I constantly had to remind myself that that's just what teenagers do, and I probably would've done the same thing at their age. Now, it's pretty much automatic, and I can kinda sit back and enjoy the show.

This is why I try not to pick on some of the younger forum members about things that are just typical immaturity. They're gonna figure it out pretty soon anyway.
    Actually i think its getting worse with new generations.
    I really don't think so. I do, however, think that every generation thinks this. :) But really, if that were the case, we never would've made it out of the trees.
  • edited November 2009
    Actually i think its getting worse with new generations.
    I really don't think so. I do, however, think that every generation thinks this. :) But really, if that were the case, we never would've made it out of the trees.
    I am with you on that. We didn't live through the older generations, so we see it all in sepia tone with the harsh edges blurred.
    Whenever I hear people start in on "the good old days", I point out that until fairly recently those "good old days" included a culture that allowed and encouraged spousal abuse, racism, and sexism and didn't include many of the modern conveniences that allow a middle class to live with enough leisure to have time to sit and reminisce.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It depends what you consider the wrong thing, I suppose. I recall, as a teenager, it seemed like a good idea to blow up a stump on a mate's property with AnPho, and to pack a heap in so we wouldn't have to clean up.

It really, really wasn't.
  • Whenever I hear people start in on "the good old days", I point out that until fairly recently those "good old days" included a culture that allowed and encouraged spousal abuse, racism, and sexism and didn't include many of the modern conveniences that allow a middle class to live with enough leisure to have time to sit and reminisce.
    All very true. I guess in some ways they were the good old days if you were a white dude. If you were anyone else, it kinda sucked.

I remember years ago, a friend of mine pointed out something like "I'm 23, and I've already traveled farther and lived a life of greater luxury than most kings in history."
  • Whenever I hear people start in on "the good old days", I point out that until fairly recently those "good old days" included a culture that allowed and encouraged spousal abuse, racism, and sexism and didn't include many of the modern conveniences that allow a middle class to live with enough leisure to have time to sit and reminisce.
    All very true. I guess in some ways theywerethe good old days if you were a white dude. If you were anyone else, it kinda sucked.
    I remember years ago, a friend of mine pointed out something like "I'm 23, and I've already traveled farther and lived a life of greater luxury than most kings in history."
    It is a marvel that we have what we have...
    As for it being so great to be a white dude, it may not have been so great if you cared about women and people of other races... or personal hygiene.
  • As for it being so great to be a white dude, it may not have been so great if you cared about women and people of other races...
    Yeah, but if you were a white dude in the good old days, you probably didn't. :/
  • As for it being so great to be a white dude, it may not have been so great if you cared about women and people of other races...
    Yeah, but if you were a white dude in the good old days, you probably didn't. :/
    I dunno... there were an awful lot of white people working toward abolition, civil rights, etc.
  • "I'm 23, and I've already traveled farther and lived a life of greater luxury than most kings in history."
    We have hot running water. That in and of itself already puts us in more luxury than most kings in history.

As for the "good old days," whenever that phrase comes up, I always go back to grandpa Bjarne and great-uncle Edwin and their very sage advice. They always reminded me that the "good old days" were a load of crap, that the good days were right now, and that we should worry about making sure that the next generation's days will be even better than ours.
    I dunno... there were an awful lot of white people working toward abolition, civil rights, etc.
    Sure, but as a proportion, it would've been a relatively small one. Hence "probably" is correct. In fact, it might be closer to "almost certainly".
  • Sure, but as a proportion, it would've been a relatively small one. Hence "probably" is correct. In fact, it might be closer to "almost certainly".
    True enough.
    It would suck to live before indoor plumbing, though it did make for interesting stories like the one below:
    My Great Grandfather was the principal at the school in Joliet, IL. He had an outhouse that a bunch of punk-kids would nock over every Halloween. One Halloween he moved the outhouse a few feet back and only shallowly covered the waste hole. When the punk-kids went to knock it over in the dark, they fell into the wast hole. My Great Grandfather was waiting for them with some clean clothes, wash buckets, and a grin when they crawled out.
  • Isn't it sad that if someone did that now-a-days they would possibly get sued for making children fall in a hole full of poop?