This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Teenagers doing the wrong thing

2»

Comments

• Sure, but as a proportion, it would've been a relatively small one. Hence "probably" is correct. In fact, it might be closer to "almost certainly".
    True enough.
    That's how I meant it. Clearly, there were a lot of white men (by numbers, though not by proportion) who did the right thing.
    It would suck to live before indoor plumbing, though it did make for interesting stories like the one below:
    True, but they didn't know it like we know it, so they probably didn't miss it that much. I always wonder what people are going to be saying in the future. "It would suck to live before teleportation." "It would suck to live before they cured death." Even now, there's a bit of "It would suck to live before the internet" going on. I'm not sure how I managed.
  • He had an outhouse that a bunch of punk-kids would nock over every Halloween.
    No joke. I actually did this. Indoor plumbing was available, but people still had outhouses, even thought they weren't often used. It was hilarious.

Still-existing outhouses were also mostly a function of the place I was growing up as a kid, not the time that I was growing up as a kid.
  • When I think about the "good old days," I mostly think about customer service and the trust people had in strangers. It seems that those two things have dwindled into near obsolescence nowadays (except the former if you're very rich).

People are more obsessed with rules-for-rules'-sake, at least in universities, organizations, and large corporations. They don't trust their employees or students. You can't use cheques, because so many people try to forge them and scam people. It may have been like that before, but it seems on the forefront of everyone's mind now. Fear, loathing, etc.
  • He had an outhouse that a bunch of punk-kids would nock over every Halloween.
    No joke. I actually did this. Indoor plumbing was available, but people still had outhouses, even thought they weren't often used. It was hilarious.
    Wow... you ARE old.
  • edited November 2009
    He had an outhouse that a bunch of punk-kids would nock over every Halloween.
    Wow... you ARE old.
    Not really. Like I said, it was more a function of where I grew up. It was very, very, painfully rural. Most people didn't have "city water". An outhouse could be useful if your pond or your cistern went dry.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Wow... you ARE old.
    You are only as old as you feel, as the old adage says.
  • I agree with the original poster that teenagers, but also a lot of adults just seem to be total stupid dickheads these days. Let me offer a couple of examples. One day earlier this year my brother complained to me about the security devices in a store, I don't remember which one, around the Xbox Live cards because he wanted to steal one...and he was seeking a job around this time period and he knows that I work in a Best Buy.
    Speaking of Best Buy, I've also had more than a few people ask me if the mp3 player I'm selling them will work with music downloaded off Limewire. I've never been sure if I should reprimand them somehow or not.
  • I've also had more than a few people ask me if the mp3 player I'm selling them will work with music downloaded off Limewire. I've never been sure if I should reprimand them somehow or not
    Absolutely. It's 2009. No one should still be using Limewire.
  • I've also had more than a few people ask me if the mp3 player I'm selling them will work with music downloaded off Limewire. I've never been sure if I should reprimand them somehow or not
    Absolutely. It's 2009. No one should still be using Limewire.
    This.
  • When exactly did Limewire die in terms of usefulness?
    Uhhh 2000, maybe?
    Uhhh 2000, maybe?
    To be fair, though, it's still awesome for getting malware and fake files.
  • What would you use now if you were just after a single song, from a purely academic perspective, of course?
  • What would you use now if you were just after a single song, from a purely academic perspective, of course?
    Google, and if that fails, torrent using a client that lets you specify which files you want to download (unless you can find a torrent of the song, but thats unlikely unless it's a popular single or remix).
    Youtube, and a way of converting flv files to mp3 (of which there are many).