This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HELP!!!!

2»

Comments

• BE WARNED THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE T.V. SHOW "SUPERNATURAL". IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE ENTIRE SERIES THEN YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ THIS....just putting a warning to be nice.
    Usually we just color spoilers white, but I guess this works too.
    edited November 2009
    1) [N]o I do not put that many exclamation point in my writing I just figured that this is a more relaxed atmosphere[,] so I figured things like that are allowed.
    I fail to see how a relaxed atmosphere means you can just act like a 12 year old. We have rules here pertaining to proper spelling and grammar and not being annoying. While I'm not a moderator, personally I find non-ironic and constant use of multiple punctuation marks (be they exclamation marks, question marks, ellipses, etc.) very annoying. They add nothing to the post.
    2) More often than not when someone says your writing a rip off or parodies of something it is considered an insult. [I]f you did not mean it that way that’s fine[,] and even though I was a bit upset about that I would like to point out that I deliberately made Issac an incubus because vampires are way overdone and I did not want people to think of it as [a] Twilight knock off.
    This is exactly why I used the words 'rip off'. I had, evidently correctly, assumed that you chose to use an incubus because "L-O-L, VAMPIRES = TWILIGHT!" and that you disliked Twilight. I wished for you to realize that using green instead of red to paint your apple isn't going to hide anything. Personally I would say it makes it even more obvious.
    3) I did not like Twilight at all. I only watched it for Dr. Cullen and because my neighbor wanted a movie night with me.
    Nice to know, but it's unnecessary information, but it does confirm suspicions. I didn't ask or imply that you liked Twilight, on the contrary, as I said, I expected you to dislike it.
    4) Incubi/succubi are nothing like vampires - that alone annoys me. If you don't know anything about the species’ please don't compare them. I did extensive research on both.
    Dear, excuse me but you look really stupid here. I never compared vampires to incubi or succubi. I feel appalled that you are so quickly to insinuate that I know nothing about either species and that you read such claims from my words. Preposterous and irrelevant. I compared your outline to that of Twilight. A girl and a supernatural boy in a romance, just like in Twilight, just like in Lois & Clarke (although the main aspect of that series was to see Superman defeat bad guys). Though, if you throw far you could say that vampires are exactly like incubi. 'Drinking their blood', yeah right.
    5) W[OAH-OH-AH-AAA-HA-AH], I would seriously reconsider your choice of word because it seems that it’s not just a few people who found your post a bit on the harsh side. I am sure you did not mean it that way though because I imagine that even if you’re not a writer you can understand true writers consider their works like their children and easily take offense. [T]his is something I am working on not doing so much because I find most people don't mean for me to take it personally as I am sure you did not.
    "True writers"? Good writers will take critique at heart and not take offence at it.
    6) I apologize for being a redundant poster. I am still getting use to the forum and I simply scanned the arts pages for anything related. I must have missed that thread and I apologize for that.
    I know you are new, that's exactly the reason why I took the time to tell you there is already a thread for NaNoWriMo and that you should use the search function as to most quickly find it, it's also not in the Art category. It's quite cute that you think that an initiative of a bunch of people from a website is art.
    7) I don’t know about anyone else but swearing in and of itself make it seem like your upset. [S]o I would do it in posts unless you actually are upset. [P]lus it's not exactly polite.
    Dear Velvet, please. Don't go with the "He said a bad word!" kind of immaturity. Here's a related wallpaper, it's quite true if you ask me. A little something on the side, I once on these forums used the user name "A Forum Asshole".
    [Y]ou're using this chance to yell at people and make yourself look smarter.
    I wish I was that smart. I only intended to make a point of showing to BlackVelvet that trying to steer away from associations with Twilight when she is only changing the supernatural species in the plot outline is going to fail. She will have to accept said association, ignore it like any decent writer and just write her own story.
    Post edited by ... on
  • especially with this Twilight rip-off.
    That's too harsh, even for you.
    Ouch, indeed it was...
  • As harsh as Nine was, he's not off the mark. My sister's writing is abominable at times and I have tried to correct her. I apologize for her naivete and low internet experience, but that is part of the reason I brought her here; in the hopes that some of our collective wisdom and good habits will rub off on her (as they did me). I think if you were to compare my first post here to my more recent ones, You'll see what I mean.

At any rate, You could still be nicer, Nine. She's just a newbie.
  • edited November 2009
    At any rate, You could still be nicer, Nine. She's just a newbie.
    And also, She's trying pretty hard, which is more than you can say for a hell of a lot of people.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm amazed you're going for it. Honestly you're already better than Nine, having decided to take on the 50,000 word challenge half way through the month ;). Best of luck to you.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Yeah, I'm amazed you're going for it. Honestly you're already better than Nine, having decided to take on the 50,000 word challenge half way through the month ;). Best of luck to you.
    Better than me, too, making excuses and justifications for not doing it, when in fact, I just didn't do it this time.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm amazed you're going for it. Honestly you're already better than Nine, having decided to take on the 50,000 word challenge half way through the month ;). Best of luck to you.
    I agree with your comment about Victoria being better than Nine because (it's been said before and it shall be said again) if anyone creates media of any kind, (be it written word, a film, music, etc) and gives it away to the world for free with no skin off their back, they're already better than most people who do not engage in this kind of activity. I believe everyone should at least be involved in a creative endeavor of any kind because not only is it fun to do if you have the right mindset, but it will also help you grow and strengthen some talents that need sharpening or help you discover hidden talents you never knew you had. For example, everyone knows I talk about movies all the time, well it should come as no surprise when I say that I have directed a few movies that required no budget at all, but even with those conditions I learned very valuable organization and planning skills through trial and error.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • if anyone creates media of any kind, (be it written word, a film, music, etc) and gives it away to the world for free with no skin off their back, they're already better than most people who do not engage in this kind of activity.
    I really disagree with this. You're setting up this hierarchy of person quality based on something that's actually pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. If we are going to judge people's quality by their works, then certainly a person who donates time and money to charitable causes is "better" than a person who posts their fan-fiction or their webcomic on the internet for free, right? Aside from which, most people who produce content are not at a skill-level where they have a realistic chance of making money with their content, so their giving it away for free is hardly an altruistic act.

As for whether Black Velvet is "better" than Nine, that's none of my business. I don't know if Nine writes, but there's something to be said for anyone who does rather than just talks about doing.
  • [Look upon my penis, ye forumites, and don't care.]
    D'awwwwwww, ITT: Fuck art for the sake of art, it's art for the sake of "LOL LOOK AT MY PENIS, ME GIVING AWAY MY 'ART' ONLY MAKES IT HARDER" claims, and baseless accusations that are complete falsehoods. Black Velvet, meet Yupa. He's a hyperactive, overenthusiastic turd-ball who fails his listen/read checks at every corner and then blames others.
    I don't know if Nine writes, but there's something to be said for anyone who does rather than just talks about doing.
    I've dabbled in writing before, I stopped when I moved on to different things. Participating in NaNoWriMo is in my "Might do this someday" pipeline, but I had decided not to do it this year.
  • really disagree with this. You're setting up this hierarchy of person quality based on something that's actually pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. If we are going to judge people's quality by their works, then certainly a person who donates time and money to charitable causes is "better" than a person who posts their fan-fiction or their webcomic on the internet for free, right? Aside from which, most people who produce content are not at a skill-level where they have a realistic chance of making money with their content, so their giving it away for free is hardly an altruistic act.
    Well, Matt saying that one bunch of people are better than another is nothing new, and I'd say that that kind of phrase should generally be taken with a pinch of salt, especially from him.
  • see thatÂ’s why I chose an incubus, there are so many different types of myths, if you dig deep enough, involving them. the most common type is what you have suggested where they are on a mission to father a demonic child and essential destroy human. then there are a few that note them as the less evil version of succubi. Issac hasnÂ’t done anything yet really and I donÂ’t intend to include a sex scene...because IÂ’m horrible at it. I'm leaning toward the less evil side of incubi. perhaps even making his clan outcasts because they are less evil and only wish to survive vs. father a child and destroy the human race...I mean doing that would destroy their food source and thatÂ’s kind of counterproductive.
    So what exactly is he doing that makes him an incubus? If he is not raping women at night, is he just seducing them? He makes woman order a cookie with their coffee, cause that would be awesome. Anyway if it is a love story, then you should make them go on an adventure together. Like they go on some quest and Angel ends up being a real angel and saves Issac from the life of an incubus. Also, Issac needs to listen to the band Incubus. Have you ever seen the Incubus movie with William Shatner?
  • D'awwwwwww, ITT: Fuck art for the sake of art, it's art for the sake of "LOL LOOK AT MY PENIS, ME GIVING AWAY MY 'ART' ONLY MAKES IT HARDER" claims, and baseless accusations that are complete falsehoods.
    I wouldn't go that far. Making art just because you enjoy making it, and then giving it away for free is totally cool with me. The problem comes when you get a smug sense of superiority over people who don't do the same. Regardless of that, my original point was more of a sort-of-facetious bit of encouragement to the effect of "Forget the haters, you're trying to write 50,000 words in 15 days! Holy shit!"
  • D'awwwwwww, ITT: Fuck art for the sake of art, it's art for the sake of "LOL LOOK AT MY PENIS, ME GIVING AWAY MY 'ART' ONLY MAKES IT HARDER" claims, and baseless accusations that are complete falsehoods.
    I wouldn't go that far. Making art just because you enjoy making it, and then giving it away for free is totally cool with me. The problem comes when you get a smug sense of superiority over people who don't do the same. Regardless of that, my original point was more of a sort-of-facetious bit of encouragement to the effect of "Forget the haters, you're trying to write 50,000 words in 15 days! Holy shit!"
    In my opinion, art is one of those things that being a little extra joy to the world. someone puts their soul into something (a story, painting, or composition) that is either put out there so that others may experience something from it. whether is be a smile, a conversation, an emotion, etc. Art is meant to effect you because it, in someway, effected the creator and it doesn't have to effect the view the same way it effected the creator.

Nine, I'm getting the feeling that your not exactly the artsy type. Or perhaps you haven't found one that effects you in a extraordinary way. Of course, most men are less artistic and more logical due to brain chemistry too. Just an observation.
    I totally agree. I hate people like that who think they're better for something as stupid as that. Its a person choice and one person has no idea whats happening in another persons head, or heart, that makes them choose to share or not share their work. I have a brilliant friend of mine who writes poetry but is very shy so she doesn't share unless she's forced to. I discovered this in a writing class we had together. Personally, i want my work to bring joy to people and take them on a journey that the confines of our current world wont allow us. (i say current because it depends on what you believe in , or what you believe humans are truly capable of.) My point is you just don't know what drives a person to do something like that and, in my opinion, have no right to judge a person based off of something so trivial. doing so only make you look more like an ass.
    I'm actually a bit behind but i intend to catch up today.
  • Black Velvet is "better" than Nine
    It's an apples and oranges comparison, For example, Nine isn't made with Guinness and Champagne.
  • Throw some Getter Rays in there.
  • The problem comes when you get a smug sense of superiority over people who don't do the same.
    That's why I said that in reply to Yupa's failing.
    Regardless of that, my original point was more of a sort-of-facetious bit of encouragement to the effect of "Forget the haters, you're trying to write 50,000 words in 15 days! Holy shit!"
    You thought this was not obvious? I never replied to you. You enabled Yupa to be an idiot again, and to him I replied. Though on a sidenote, where the fuck do you keep making up that half a month figure? I must've missed BlackVelvet saying that.
    Nine, I'm getting the feeling that your not exactly the artsy type. Or perhaps you haven't found one that effects you in a extraordinary way. Of course, most men are less artistic and more logical due to brain chemistry too. Just an observation.
    An observation from what? I've not given my opinion on art.
  • edited November 2009
    Though on a sidenote, where the fuck do you keep making up that half a month figure? I must've missed BlackVelvet saying that.
    Sorry, we talked about her starting it about halfway through the month in a Skype conversation. I could've sworn I mentioned that.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • A boy and a supernatural boy in a romance
    Half of all yaoi comics?
  • It's great that you're so enthusiastic about art and writing.
    Just from the synopsis, it sounds cliche. To be honest, a lot of its elements remind me of Twilight. There isn't a spark that differentiates it yet. When you write, see if you can combine your cliches to make something new within that girl+supernatural boy romance genre.
    Since this is for national writing month, you have to do it quickly, and don't have that much time to think and craft. Asking for suggestions is kind of pointless. You should do this, let things ramble into their own life, and learn from it. The more you write, the more you'll realize why xyz does or doesn't work. And as you go, it might transform into something more original from your cliche base idea. After that, then ask for suggestions. Ask for constructive criticism, and be ready to take it. You'll learn a lot that way.
  • Half of all yaoi comics?
    No, just the wrong word.