This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I especially loved the line where he mentions his tribal tattoos "speak for the dead", but yes, Ben Kingsley was enjoyable.
  • Ever with my finger on the pulse of pop culture, both in general and in the scope of the podcast/forum, I watched Take the X Train last night. What the Secular Christ did I just watch, and why do I want to watch it again tonight?

Welcome to the unpredictable world of Rintaro. If you want to watch more of his stuff (and I strongly encourage that you do so) and you talk to people who have also seen them, don't expect to agree with them on what you like or dislike. Rintaro is one of the most divisive directors out there and, in my experience, no one can agree which movies are his best or which ones are his worst. If you liked X Train, try his Galaxy Express movies, Metropolis, or The Dagger of Kamui next.

• GeoGeo
    edited December 2013
    I saw Blue is the Warmest Color on Tuesday. I felt so strongly about it, I felt compelled to write a blog post about it.

http://geosmediamansion.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/blue-warmest/
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I saw the Madoka movie 3 last night.

In terms of continuity of the show and animation, it was amazing. In terms of using western and eastern religions as a base for magical girl mythos making, it was awesome. The ending made the whole audience scream WTF we need more now. We even got post credits.

It's a great movie, but I have mixed feelings because of the outcome.
  • I found out what's in the box.

I already kind of knew, but only that it was a *blank*, not that particular *blank*, and all that entailed. Very pleased.
  • Starfox said:

I found out what's in the box.

I already kind of knew, but only that it was a *blank*, not that particular *blank*, and all that entailed. Very pleased.

I thought John Doe explained (or at least implied) what was in the box. I always assumed it was
    Brad Pitt's wife's head and/or the fetus of their baby
    Granted, I am assuming you are talking about Se7en.
  • Just finished "Europa Report" based on Adam Savage discussing it on his podcast.(Beware of spoilers on that episode).
  • HOLY FUCK. MUCH EXCITE
  • Andrew said:

HOLY FUCK. MUCH EXCITE

Wow, that unexpectedly did cause excite.
  • Watched The World's End over the weekend for movie night. The theme was "We're Getting the Band Back Together". It was paired with Blues Brothers, another movie I haven't seen.

Blues Brothers was great. A lot of awesome songs.

The World's End. I didn't remember anything about it except for bar hopping. Was not expecting what happened. Turned out better than I had expected.
  • edited December 2013
    Oblivion: better than I expected.
    Rochelle said:

Was not expecting what happened. Turned out better than I had expected.

Sort of in the same mold as Hot Fuzz? That was another one that I felt was somewhat different than advertised, and I like that. At least when it's done well.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Yes. Pretty much like Hot Fuzz and just as entertaining.

I also saw Oblivion. It was alright. I watched with no expectations. It had good special effects. But like most sci-fi movies, I always feel that it could be better as a series vs. movie. That's only because I want to know more of the universe and what happens down the road. Good to see Jaimie Lannister in more work.
  • Also, World's End even has some surprisingly good critical meat to chew on when you really think about it. Great article about alcoholism and other themes in the film here.

• Looks Hyperionic. Dude's crazy, but I like me some Tom Cruise sci-fi.
  • I would watch that, but not on opening weekend. I do like Emily Blunt.

I also caught this trailer. It looks to be bad with storyline and acting, but I want to know more of that universe.

• Starfox said:

Looks Hyperionic. Dude's crazy, but I like me some Tom Cruise sci-fi.

Searched a bit and found out it based on the light novel All You Need Is Kill. I may give that read now.
  • I would see it except... Tom Cruise...
  • Love Tom Cruise the actor, hate Tom Cruise the person.
  • If you had Tom Cruise's troubles, you might be Tom Cruise crazy too.
  • Andrew said:

Love Tom Cruise the actor, hate Tom Cruise the person.

Seconded.

• I want to see "Jupiter Ascending" eventually.

The Watchowski's brothers have really struggled since "Speed Racer".

I'm one of the die hards who did buy into the 2nd and 3rd films because of the hype and the universe they built although when I reach for a science fiction / action movie to pick when I have nothing new on hand I default to "The Matrix".

I enjoyed "V for Vendetta" and thought it was a good representation of the Alan Moore and David Lloyd graphic novel. Although most of the public did not think it was all that great.

"Cloud Atlas" was on the brink of being something completely next level but became convoluted to the point where it carried an excess variety of themes, resulting in a somewhat shallow story plus acting varied dramatically based on which actor was on screen.

They are also apparently doing a TV show with J. Michael Straczynski about telepaths - Sense8 (sounds a bit like X-men but hopefully it's something fresh).

"Jupiter Ascending" is a maybe.
  • sK0pe said:

They are also apparently doing a TV show with J. Michael Straczynski about telepaths - Sense8 (sounds a bit like X-men but hopefully it's something fresh).

Interesting... JMS already did a lot of stuff involving telepaths in Babylon 5, so I'm naturally inclined to think more along those lines.
  • Maybe JMS will be able to explore the Telepath Wars in a slightly different setting?
  • zehaeva said:

Maybe JMS will be able to explore the Telepath Wars in a slightly different setting?

That would be kinda cool. Some of the B5 novels do go into the Telepath Wars (I think one of them is even called "The Telepath Trilogy"), but it's unfortunate that we never saw them play out on screen in one form or another.
  • Just got back from seeing the second Hobbit movie. I have to say that I am quite happy with Jackson's modifications to the story.
  • I thought it was kinda bad. The writing actually stuck out to me. The movie ended on 4 consecutive one-liners!
  • So I just watched Flight, why was the cocaine the hero of the story?
  • Never snort your Heroes.
  • After seeing the second Hobbit movie I left feeling I didn't see the Hobbit as much as I saw a LoTR prequel with Bilbo as a supporting character.
  • On a plane the main screens started showing Now You See Me, so I plugged in my headphones to watch it. It's a very, very dumb movie. It's like someone took The Prestige and Inception, removed any intelligence, then employed some of the same actors to make it feel even MORE like those movies.

However, even with how dumb and predictable it was, I can't say I didn't enjoy it for what it was. I wouldn't recommend anyone go out of their way to watch it, but if it's on during a flight?

On my next flight I watched Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. It's really, really funny. If you don't know the character, some of the jokes might not land, but don't worry, there are sooo many jokes it still has more left over per ten minutes than many comedies have in their entire running times. It also avoids the main trap of movie versions of TV shows in that the setting is still the same local radio station. There isn't any trip to Vegas or road trip or anything stupid, just radio personalities interacting with higher stakes than usual.