This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Lots of kung-fu, naked women, conspiracies, and eye-bulging. It starts off pretty surreal, but I did not at all anticipate how bizarre and over the top it would get. Very good movie.
    You forgot Kung Fu treachery.

I watched Groundhog Day and Scrooged, back to back.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    What movie should I see next? I'm sort of at a loss and am unsure as to what movie I should see next. It doesn't matter to me whether it's in the home market or in theaters.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I watched A Hard Day's Night yesterday. I skipped all the songs and just watched the parts with Paul's grandfather. Which is basically every part except for the parts with the songs.
  • What movie should I see next? I'm sort of at a loss and am unsure as to what movie I should see next. It doesn't matter to me whether it's in the home market or in theaters.
    A few I think you'd enjoy are The Brothers Bloom, Primer, Stalker, and Punch Drunk Love.
  • I watched A Hard Day's Night yesterday. I skipped all the songs and just watched the parts with Paul's grandfather. Which is basically every part except for the parts with the songs.
    Still worth it. Paul's grandfather is hilarious.
  • What movie should I see next? I'm sort of at a loss and am unsure as to what movie I should see next. It doesn't matter to me whether it's in the home market or in theaters.
    What are your favorite movies?
    Instead of making a list of specific movies, I'll just list some genres. I particularly like sci-fi, fantasy, horror, thriller, and biopics.
    Have you seen Streets of Fire yet?
  • Aside from watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos, which isn't a movie, the only thing I've managed to watch lately that wasn't a repeat viewing of something was Super Size Me. Yeah, LTTP on this one, but it was still interesting to watch. Nothing has really changed, though fast food chains are trying a little harder to offer "healthier" options, though those are questionable at best. Sitting on my table at home though is Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, which I'm really excited for.
  • I saw Sherlock Holmes last night, it was pretty good but I fell asleep through a little bit of the middle. Jet lag is a bitch.
  • Super Size Me
    That entire movie was an hour and a half of every nutritionist(and related specialties), and anyone with any clue about eating beyond "I put dese things dere in my mouf herp derp derp" facepalming so hard, they had a palmprint on the inside of the back of their skull. Seriously, it's just Jackass for Health nuts.
  • edited January 2010
    Super Size Me
    That entire movie was an hour and a half of every nutritionist(and related specialties), and anyone with any clue about eating beyond "I put dese things dere in my mouf herp derp derp" facepalming so hard, they had a palmprint on the inside of the back of their skull. Seriously, it's just Jackass for Health nuts.
    What I've seen of his TV show is quite good, though. Especially "Atheist Among Christians" and "Minuteman Among Illegal Immigrants".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2010
    I watched A Hard Day's Night yesterday. I skipped all the songs and just watched the parts with Paul's grandfather. Which is basically every part except for the parts with the songs.
    Just those? Cause some of the parts with just The Beatles joking around are great. If you do watch one song though, watch the "Can't Buy Me Love" scene.

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited January 2010
    What I've seen of his TV show is quite good, though. Especially "Atheist Among Christians" and "Minuteman Among Illegal Immigrants".
    Never had a chance to see his show, so I can't say, but Super size me just makes me RAAAAAGE. He did it in the stupidest possible fashion - He's gorging, forcing himself to not just eat but severely overeat, went straight off an all vegan diet to the experiment, etc. If any more proof is needed that the experiment was conducted poorly, A bloke from Texas did the experiment for 90 days, didn't change his lifestyle beyond that(as an average American), minimized his exercise, supersized every time when asked, and as a modification, He only had diet sodas, however, I also didn't eat any of the healthy options, just burgers, fries, and chicken. At the end of 90 days, he weighed 150 pounds, had a 31 inch waist, and his cholesterol was a steady 161 - and didn't experience a single one of the symptoms Spurlock suffered.. The difference is, he started out at 204 pounds, 33 inch waist, and cholesterol of 171.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2010
    A bloke from Texas did the experiment for90 days, didn't change his lifestyle beyond that(as an average American), minimized his exercise, supersized every time when asked, and as a modification, He only had diet sodas, however, I also didn't eat any of the healthy options, just burgers, fries, and chicken. At the end of 90 days, he weighed 150 pounds, had a 31 inch waist, and his cholesterol was a steady 161 - and didn't experience a single one of the symptoms Spurlock suffered.. The difference is, he started out at 204 pounds, 33 inch waist, and cholesterol of 171.
    To lose 54 pounds of fat in 90 days would require a caloric deficit of 2100 calories per day. I'm not sure what the necessary caloric deficit would be when losing muscle (which he obviously lost a hell of a lot of if he lost 54 pounds but only 2 inches on his waist), but it would still be huge. Do you have any references on this? Because I'm really tempted to call bullshit. This sounds literally impossible.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited January 2010
    A bloke from Texas did the experiment for90 days, didn't change his lifestyle beyond that(as an average American), minimized his exercise, supersized every time when asked, and as a modification, He only had diet sodas, however, I also didn't eat any of the healthy options, just burgers, fries, and chicken. At the end of 90 days, he weighed 150 pounds, had a 31 inch waist, and his cholesterol was a steady 161 - and didn't experience a single one of the symptoms Spurlock suffered.. The difference is, he started out at 204 pounds, 33 inch waist, and cholesterol of 171.
    To lose 54 pounds of fat in 90 days would require a caloric deficit of2100 calories per day. I'm not sure what the necessary caloric deficit would be when losing muscle (which he obviously lost a hell of a lot of if he lost 54 pounds but only 2 inches on his waist), but it would still be huge. Do you have any references on this? Because I'm really tempted to call bullshit. This sounds literally impossible.
    That's because I mis-remembered the numbers, and dropped the ball on the exercise(mixing it up with another, similar experiment that didn't involve maccas specifically) - his cholesterol started at 204, not his weight. Also, the guy's website is horrifically broken, but I did manage to hunt down his lab work and measurements, and full details over the course of the experiment.

Edit - Also, dropping weight is also something that varies from person to person - I dropped from 209 pounds to 147 pounds approx (as someone who is 6'4" and started in peak condition - yes, I know it's not fat) in roughly two months. It's not something I tend to talk about(Not being an entertaining story, nor a pleasant one), but it certainly happened. No emotional plea, I don't give a shit about it anymore(and it's not really a story worth telling, it's not interesting), I'm just saying, it's quite possible.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • To lose 54 pounds of fat in 90 days would require a caloric deficit of 2100 calories per day. I'm not sure what the necessary caloric deficit would be when losing muscle (which he obviously lost a hell of a lot of if he lost 54 pounds but only 2 inches on his waist), but it would still be huge. Do you have any references on this? Because I'm really tempted to call bullshit. This sounds literally impossible.
    I'd wager that it's possible. I lost 40lbs in 90 days. Then again, I lost six fucking inches off my waist, so yeah.

Miraculous things are possible after calculating Basal Metabolic Rate.
    Instead of making a list of specific movies, I'll just list some genres. I particularly like sci-fi, fantasy, horror, thriller, and biopics.
    Why would you do that? Don't you want recommendations of things you might like instead of vague shots in the dark?
  • Why would you do that? Don't you want recommendations of things you might like instead of vague shots in the dark?
    I think the idea is that he has very broad taste in movies. From what I've heard from him, Geofino can appreciate pretty much any film if it's thoughtful and well-made. I bet (correct me if I'm wrong, Geo) the only hard recommendation would be something crappy but enjoyable.
  • edited January 2010
    This weekend, the wife and I watched Burn After Reading, which has some glaring faults and a few of solid gold performances (surprise: J.K. Simmons, George Clooney, and Brad Pitt). It's a black comedy, alright, and it's hardly necessary to tell you it's by the Coens. Ultimately, though, the plot was fairly pointless, except to stress that people are big, greedy, stupid shits. As usual, the Coens create these weird, oddly asocial characters that are not believable except as cartoons. There are some pacing issues, but they pay off, especially when Pitt bites the bullet right in the head. I did not see that coming. The problem is that there's no clear protagonist that we can like, nobody we can identify as a decent human being to root for, who makes good decisions that make sense, that you and I would make faced with the same situations. They're all bizarro-land characters with bizarro-land agendas. And, as Simmons' character says at the very end, nothing really happens, and it's not clear what could have been done to avoid any of the mess that did happen, or who was responsible.

If you like Fargo, watch Fargo again instead. If you like The Big Lebowski, watch The Big Lebowski again instead.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • That entire movie was an hour and a half of every nutritionist(and related specialties), and anyone with any clue about eating beyond "I put dese things dere in my mouf herp derp derp" facepalming so hard, they had a palmprint on the inside of the back of their skull. Seriously, it's just Jackass for Health nuts.
    There is no doubt that the whole experiment was silly, and I will also admit that even the doctors he went to didn't seem to have a clue as to why he was gaining weight and cholesterol. If anything, the movie is really a social commentary on how oblivious most people are when it comes to their eating habits. Of course nutritionists are going to be yelling at him that he's an idiot, since that was his intent.

Also, I'm not surprised that the guy who did it for 90 days lost weight for one reason. He chose to not drink sugar sodas. Though if he had wanted really good results, he would've just stuck to water and not eaten the fries, but it's still a good step in the right direction.
  • Fast food isn't completely devoid of nutritional value, it's mostly the fries and soda that gets you.
  • Sherlock Holmes is full of banter, investigations, and punching dudes.
  • Why would you do that? Don't you want recommendations of things you might like instead of vague shots in the dark?
    I think the idea is that he has very broad taste in movies. From what I've heard from him, Geofino can appreciate pretty much any film if it's thoughtful and well-made. I bet (correct me if I'm wrong, Geo) the only hard recommendation would be something crappy but enjoyable.
    You've read me like a book GUNTER. As for your assumption, you're not to far off ;)
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    This movie does not have a wide-release, but I'm mega-excited for The Lovely Bones and will see it opening day/night.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Watched the movie "Stage Beauty" (Another girlfriend-based recommendation)

That was fun. Billy Crudup is so good.
  • "Stage Beauty" is a really lovely film. It si somewhat factually based and addresses some interesting questions about gender roles that are still quite relevant.
  • I just saw Avatar, it was pretty awful. The story wasn't interesting until the last 40 minutes or so and just dragged on and on. The action set pieces were pretty good and the art design and the world itself were amazing, but that wasn't nearly enough to save the movie. Also, the Na'vi could have been done using prosthetics and make-up and they would have looked so much better.
  • I just saw Avatar, it was pretty awful. The story wasn't interesting until the last 40 minutes or so and just dragged on and on. The action set pieces were pretty good and the art design and the world itself were amazing, but that wasn't nearly enough to save the movie. Also, the Na'vi could have been done using prosthetics and make-up and they would have looked so much better.
    While I can see where you would not like the plot there is no way that Na'vi would have looked as good in prosthetics...
  • While I can see where you would not like the plot there is no way that Na'vi would have looked as good in prosthetics...
    I thought they looked like cartoon characters compared to everything else. If they did them like they did the faun in Pan's Labyrinth and only used CG for the action scenes, they would have looked so much better.