This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I have figured out the next movie I want to see already. A friend of mine reccomended it to me and as soon as I read the synopsis (as in brief summary of the plot), I knew that I must see this film. It just sounds too good to be bad. The film in question is Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The film in question is Akira Kurosawa'sIkiru.
    (T_T) So sad~!
  • edited January 2010
    Whip it! Good movie, bad directing saved by a great cast and an awesome soundtrack.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • The film in question is Akira Kurosawa'sIkiru.
    (T_T) So sad~!
    It really does sound like it, but I haven't seen many sad movies, so I think this will be an enriching experience.
  • I finished watching Primer a few minutes ago. Low-budget indie flick, won the big prize at Sundance in 2004. Made me feel like making my own movie right now. Although it's billed as SF, the movie is really built around the dynamic between Aaron and Abe. These guys were both non-professional actors when this was filmed, which definitely helped their performances seem more realistic. Carruth (Aaron) is working on a new SF film and Rian Johnson, who directed the wonderful Brick, says the script for it is "mindblowing."
  • Robocop I, II & III
  • Primer is the shit. I need to watch that movie again, because while I enjoyed it the first time, I'm still not entirely sure what happened.
  • Primer is the shit. I need to watch that movie again, because while I enjoyed it the first time, I'm still not entirely sure what happened.
    You're not supposed to understand it, it's great because it's an enigma.
  • You're not supposed to understand it, it's greatbecauseit's an enigma.
    Well yeah, but I think a lot of enjoyment could come from dissecting it with multiple viewings.
  • Just finished A Serious Man. It's right up there with Lebowski and Barton Fink. In my mind, Joel and Ethan Coen are the best film makers working today.
  • In my mind, Joel and Ethan Coen are the best film makers working today.
    Probably. No Country For Old Men was up there with The Seventh Seal, as far as I'm concerned.
  • I watched 9 last night. I had heard nothing about the film except that Tim Burton worked on it, which was the reason I decided to watch it. I would like to say that I liked it, but I can't. I don't now who the movie is aimed at, it felt to rushed, and the story was too thin. Disappointed, I went to Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB to see if there was any explanation of why 9 was a bad movie. After about a minute, I found that it was based of off a 10 minute animation. Suddenly, I understood why the story was thin, why it felt so rushed, and why it was overall a bad movie. The director, who directed the movie and the animation, had written the movie to be a little video, not a full blown movie. It jumped around a lot because that's generally what 10 minute productions do, to get things in. It explained the length (or lack thereof) of the movie. Sadly though, I still can't figure out which age group this movie supposed to interest. It's definitely not a kids movie, and it's too simple for an adult movie. So, overall, while I like the idea of the movie, it was a poorly done movie. That being said, I loved the voice acting and the animation.
  • Seeing Daybreakers was a good decision. It was basically the live-action American equivalent of Fist of the North Star. And by that I mean they used every excuse they could to make people explode into bloody messes.
  • I had heard nothing about the film except that Tim Burton worked on it
    He produced it. Doesn't mean he had much input.

I saw Funny People last night. The stand-up bits were really funny, and I was eerily reminded of myself and my friends in some of the scenes with all the comedian friends talking at parties, etc. It also helped reaffirm my comedic leanings. All told, a pretty good movie. Not Apatow's best, but it spoke to me on a personal level.
  • Seeing Daybreakers was a good decision. It was basically the live-action American equivalent of Fist of the North Star. And by that I mean they used every excuse they could to make people explode into bloody messes.
    It was enjoyable. I like how they didn't sparkle. However, like most movies, it would have been cooler to see this as a series rather than a movie, imo.
  • However, like most movies, it would have been cooler to see this as a series rather than a movie, imo.
    Really? Why? I think Inland Empire is the only film I've ever thought this about.
  • I think the Daybreakers premise was a solid premise, but considering how much I laughed I don't think I would have had it any other way.

Although, I could have done without the random bats.
  • Really? Why? I think Inland Empire is the only film I've ever thought this about.
    I honestly just like mini series. It gives more story and development. I would have liked to see (SPOILERS AHEAD)
    ~How and if the cure got to everyone else.
    ~More character development of the humans and vampires. I like watching characters develop and evolve.
    ~I would like to have seen more about what happened when the outbreak occurred. How did more people turn into vampires so fast, that the government couldn't control it.

Just my thoughts. I'm always curious to know more about how and why of movie plots.
  • Adam and I saw Terry Gilliam's latest film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus in the theatre on Saturday. It was a really enchanting film. If you enjoyed Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, then I highly recommend that you see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
    For those that may or may not be interested, this is also Heath Ledger's last film. As he died during the making, three actors (Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Collin Farrel) stepped in to play his character. The device Gilliam utilized to make this actor switching work actually enhances the film and, had I not known about the unfortunate circumstances in advance, I would never have questioned the device as it works seamlessly in the film.
    If you can catch it at the theatre, then I highly recommend seeing it there unless you have a very nice home theatre set up. The visuals are simply fantastic (though, unlike Avatar, they are not the sole reason for watching the film) and the score is worth hearing in a decent quality.
  • I had heard nothing about the film except that Tim Burton worked on it
    He produced it. Doesn't mean he had much input.

I saw Funny People last night. The stand-up bits were really funny, and I was eerily reminded of myself and my friends in some of the scenes with all the comedian friends talking at parties, etc. It also helped reaffirm my comedic leanings. All told, a pretty good movie. Not Apatow's best, but it spoke to me on a personal level.
    That's how I EXACTLY felt watching that movie. Someone else! :D

I saw The Prestige on Friday. It was kind of cool, but really, REALLY bizzare. Christain Bale and Hugh Jackman were really good in their parts and I really enjoyed Michael Caine's role as the mentor/shopkeeper. However at the end, my mind just went kind of blank from the number of twists and treachery.

And I also have two films with me at the moment. 500 Days of Summer or Drag Me To Hell. Which to watch first...
  • And I also have two films with me at the moment. 500 Days of Summer or Drag Me To Hell. Which to watch first...
    Both of them are hilarious, but Drag Me To Hell has a talking goat.
  • edited January 2010
    I thought The Prestige was dead boring. I think I have a problem with a lot of period films.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • On Saturday I saw "Up in the Air", a mature comedy that does not require boobs or scatological jokes to get it's humor across. George Clooney gives a wonderful performance and near the end of the movie when you think things are going to end a certain way, the director pulls the rug out from under you (in a good way). I highly recommend it.
  • On Saturday I saw "Up in the Air", a mature comedy that does not require boobs or scatological jokes to get it's humor across. George Clooney gives a wonderful performance and near the end of the movie when you think things are going to end a certain way, the director pulls the rug out from under you (in a good way). I highly recommend it.
    We saw it with my folks and all of us really enjoyed it.
  • Man, I feel like watching A Serious Man again right now. If any of you want to see it...
  • Comedy that does not require boobs or scatological jokes to get it's humor across.
    When will the movie studios just quit it with that crap? Better yet, when will people stop eating that crap up?
  • Watched Dancer in the Dark. It was an emotionally draining experience, maybe even more depressing than Dogville, because at least with Dogville you get that huge cathartic release at the end. Lars von Trier has a way of affecting me on an emotional level like no other director.
  • When will the movie studios just quit it with that crap? Better yet, when will people stop eating that crap up?
    You kind answered your first question with your second question.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    When will the movie studios just quit it with that crap? Better yet, when will people stop eating that crap up?
    You kind answered your first question with your second question.
    Does anyone ever think there will be a change in comedy movies that will just jettison all the shitty humor?
    Post edited by Geo on