This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Pragmatic Rationalist Party

Comments

• Fully support the open and transparent government plank of the platform. All meetings of elected officials should be open and recorded.
    I believe that if a government is forced to be open and transparent it would remove allot of inefficiency. It is perhaps they best way to fight against corruption in a government. If The Pragmatic Rationalist Party somehow set in place laws that increased government transparency many other problems would solve themselves following.

Also, is there a praticle alternative method to passing bills that would prevent dicks from slipping in amendments into incredibly large documents to get laws passed under the radar? I find this to be incredibly disingenuous.
  • Expand the train systems to make them more viable means of commuting/transport for more people.
    Make the trains run on time.
  • Make the trains run on time.
    Say what you will about his politics, but Hitler did keep those trains running on time.
    It would bring new meaning to the term "time machine".
    Say what you will about his politics, but Hitler did keep those trains running on time.
    I thought it was Mussolini, not Hitler?
  • I thought it was Mussolini, not Hitler?
    It was Mussolini, but it's just an old saying with no truth to it. The reality is that the trains were terrible. They kept using the trains for military purposes, and trying to ride them was a nightmare.
  • I thought it was Mussolini, not Hitler?
    My grandmother, actually, is still a big fan of Il Duce. She thinks he was the best politician Italy has ever had, and (compared to the others) I might have to agree. Sure he joined the wrong side in the war, but he made Italy a unified country more than any other person (That whole "bringing back the glory of Rome" stuff kinda worked). Her father, coincidently, was an officer in his army, while her uncle was a communist rebel. There is a story where the rebel gets captured, and the fascist brother saves him. Of course.

Transportation
    Education
    Medicine
    Economics
    Foreign Policy
    Utilities (quality of life issues)

How do we address these?
  • I should note that high level goals are the focus, not implementation details. Don't say "we should repeal/amend X law." Say "we should strive for Y result." Don't tell me how you want to do something, tell mewhatyou want to do. We have to debate the high-level goals before we even consider the realities of achieving them. What is the intended result of our policy and legislation? What are we truly striving for? Whatshouldwe truly be striving for?
    I think we should, at the very least, aim to have science and art be more emphasized in schools. Science for critical and diagnostic thinking, art for creativity.
  • edited December 2009
    With Hitler, The issue wasn't really the trains being on time, but more where the trains were going...
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2009
    @Rym

What is your opinion on "The Voting Rights Act" and moreover the requirement of basic literacy/numeracy of the standard voter. While in the 1960 the act provided the African American population protection from disenfranchisement, would a repealing of the act put more onus on state educators to provide a better education?

Also, for a while I have been thinking of getting into local politics. When this movement gets off the ground would you be interested in encouraging chapters of this party in other nations?
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Actually, the Hitler train thing was a joke made by my High School speech and debate teacher. I just like using it for the reactions I get from people.
  • Yes but I am disqualified based on living in a more awesome country ;-).
    We would actually be barred from even accepting donations from you in many cases. ^_~.
    Well, can I at least join the organized crime syndicate that Scott'll be putting up?
  • Yes but I am disqualified based on living in a more awesome country ;-).
    We would actually be barred from even accepting donations from you in many cases. ^_~.
    Well, can I at least join the organized crime syndicate that Scott'll be putting up?
    Will there be flying fingers?
  • My problem with this poll is that you haven't specified what is needed to be "able" to attend. If it's gonna cost money to get in, then that's a factor.

Here's my suggestion for a goal:
    Get people to stop saying "make X happen" and instead get people to say "seriously research the possibility and potential means of getting X to happen, and then if it's feasible, make it happen."

I suppose that could be summed up by saying I want better education in science and critical thinking.
  • Education is far and away one of the most important things we need to fix.

I also agree with Nuri, I could probably do a quick plane ticket, but not if it costs to get in.
  • I doubt we would charge admission. By able, I simply mean being financially secure enough to travel to New York City and stay in a hotel for a weekend if you so desired.
  • Now that we have sufficiently defined our terms, I can make an informed vote in the poll. Thanks. ;P
  • I doubt we would charge admission. By able, I simply mean being financially secure enough to travel to New York City and stay in a hotel for a weekend if you so desired.
    I'm in.
  • While at a birthday party this weekend I was talking to some elderly folks. One of them was going back to school and she was talking to the youngin' who was in school. She could not believe how college had changed from when she went many years ago.

Her chief complaint? The professors wanted the students to simply memorize and recite back everything being told to them. They did not want to hear any questions or discuss the topic at hand. Is it really this bad in college?
  • Is it really this bad in college?
    Depends on the college and also the teacher. I had lots of teachers that encouraged questions at any time.
  • Depends on the college and also the teacher. I had lots of teachers that encouraged questions at any time.
    Same here. All my classes were the exact opposite of what you described. There was a lot of discussion, and even when you weren't talking about the material in class, you had to write about it in a analytical manner that was far different than simple regurgitation. However, I have heard from a friend who attended some community college classes that often the lecture was simply a slide-show that you had to take notes from, more like high school.
  • edited December 2009
    It depends on the field you are studying and the level of the class. If you are taking European History 101, they probably have a crapload of material to get through and it's not going to be designed for in-depth analysis. On the other hand, if you are being trained for a profession or career field, and you are taking higher-level classes, that is generally where the advanced learnin' happens. You have to get the base knowledge before you can start the good analysis.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • There's a relevant xkcd for everything. It's like a parallel to rule 34.
    Not quite yet. But there is a relevant Simpsons for everything. We are also rapidly approaching the point at which there will be relevant Dilberts and South Parks for everything.
    Not quite yet.
    You forget rule 35.
  • If an Internet Rule is not recognized by Scott Rubin, is it still a Rule of the Internet?
  • edited December 2009
    There's a relevant xkcd for everything. It's like a parallel to rule 34.
    Not quite yet. But there is a relevant Simpsons for everything. We are also rapidly approaching the point at which there will be relevant Dilberts and South Parks for everything.
    I just realized that Scott Rubin exists... [brain implodes]
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • It's like a parallel to rule 34.
    Rule 34a?
  • I also want to point out that there are lots and lots of Simpsons, South Park, and Dilbert comics. XKCD I think has almost 700 strips.

Yet meanwhile, Perry Bible Fellowship owns them all. There are very very few strips, relative, but many of them are relevant very frequently.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm not sure if I'd call Rym posting that one PBF strip every time someone uses the word "bear" in any context to be "frequently relevant".
    Post edited by Sail on