This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Pragmatic Rationalist Party

123457»

Comments

• At least, today, I don't find anything I wrote back then objectionable. It's still a solid basis for legislation and policy.
  • Rym said:

Well, I DID form it back then. The problem was that I would have had to quit my job to manage all the legal bullshit of making it a state party capable of fielding donations. That was the specific thing that made me give up.

This is why we can't have nice things... Because Rym is a quitter...
  • HMTKSteve said:

Rym said:

Well, I DID form it back then. The problem was that I would have had to quit my job to manage all the legal bullshit of making it a state party capable of fielding donations. That was the specific thing that made me give up.

This is why we can't have nice things... Because Rym is a quitter...
    Or apparently isn't in this case.
  • He should just hand it off to another young idealist who is less disillusioned. Maybe they can go settle one of those apparently abundant empty places on the planet with abundant resources and turn it into a Pragmatic Rationalist paradise.
  • Or we could just play Democracy 3 and watch pragmatic rationalism crumble against popular opinion.
  • I still like the idea of creating a nerd commune with some of those free houses in Detroit. Just gotta fight off the local bears that have reclaimed the land.
  • I still like the idea of creating a nerd commune with some of those free houses in Detroit. Just gotta fight off the local bears that have reclaimed the land.

Same story in San Francisco.

• Churba said:

I still like the idea of creating a nerd commune with some of those free houses in Detroit. Just gotta fight off the local bears that have reclaimed the land.

Different kind of bears.
  • Greg said:

Churba said:

I still like the idea of creating a nerd commune with some of those free houses in Detroit. Just gotta fight off the local bears that have reclaimed the land.

Different kind of bears.
  • Real talk though. Forming a party is the worst way to get anything in the US.

You have to join the Democrats, caucus with the left wing of the party on a local/state level, and mobilize an organized faction.
  • yeaaaaap that or bull-moose.
  • Cremlian said:

yeaaaaap that or bull-moose.

You only bull-moose if you want to sabotage your own side...

So I guess we could form a far right wing party. Could you do that with a straight face long enough to make it happen?
  • Isn't Trump basically a one man Bull-Moose at this point?
  • Major party candidates can't Bull-Moose. It goes against the definition.
  • Rym said:

I guess we could form a far right wing party. Could you do that with a straight face long enough to make it happen?

It would be hard to be more crazy than Trump.
  • I'm thinking in the next 4 to 8 years we'll have a stand up comedian who runs for office. Be it either AL Franken or another comedian who focueses on Politics and it will be all thanks to Donald Trump. (Hopefully it's Jon Stewart :-p )
  • Cremlian said:

I'm thinking in the next 4 to 8 years we'll have a stand up comedian who runs for office. Be it either AL Franken or another comedian who focueses on Politics and it will be all thanks to Donald Trump. (Hopefully it's Jon Stewart :-p )

I think you mean thanks to Ronald Reagan, the actor who became president.
  • Who will be America's Jon Gnarr?
  • Cremlian said:

I'm thinking in the next 4 to 8 years we'll have a stand up comedian who runs for office. Be it either AL Franken or another comedian who focueses on Politics and it will be all thanks to Donald Trump. (Hopefully it's Jon Stewart :-p )

Sucks Man of the Year could have covered that shit 12 years ago, but it turned out to be a pretty awful techno-political thriller rather than amazing comedy satire.