This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Plans and goals for 2010

edited January 2010 in Everything Else
I can't see another thread about this, so here it is.

What are your plans and goals for 2010? What do you want to do and make and accomplish? Post your goals here, and updates throughout the year, and remind people of their plans too, and then at the end of the year we can all tick off fails and wins.

The list I posted on my blog is a bit long, so I'll edit it down to post here later.

Comments

• Hmm...
    -Learn how to program Java sometime before I go off to college so that I have a better background for my major.
    -Pass all four of my AP exams, hopefully with at least a 4 if not a 5 on each of them.
    -Get into college. Stupid RIT letter, hasn't come yet...
    -Actually not fail at Nanowrimo when the time comes, or maybe actually write something on my own.
    -Get a job.
    -Move out of my parent's house when I go to college. Money may be an obstacle in this, but I would really prefer it to the alternative.
  • Graduate from the institute and get a jerb.
  • - Improve as an artist.
    - Finish my current comics project, then get more and better comics work.
    - Quit my day job.
    - I'm starting back up in Judo again this week, so I want to be consistent with that for the whole year.
    - Get back in the kind of shape I was in five years ago.
  • Quit my day job..
    Any particular reason as to why? Or would you rather talk about it?
  • Any particular reason as to why? Or would you rather talk about it?
    See the the preceding goal. :)
  • -Lose 30 pounds and keep it off
    -Get promoted or get serious about finding another job
    -Enter my beers into various homebrew competitions and (hopefully) win
  • -Get my radio station up and running before 01/20.
    -Get straight A's (for the first time in 3 years)
    -Move out
    -Keep being awesome
    -Find a girlfriend
    -Get my own FRC (group of cool/awesome friends)
    -Buy an AE86 or any small RWD car (maybe a miata or something, I like pop-up headlights).
  • - Go to back to school (Starting Jan. 25th!)
    - Get straight A's
    - Podcast and do webcomics more consistently.
    - Become awesome or more awesome.
    - Get more gothloli outfits
    - Throw away my doubts and fears
    - Ro! Ro! FIGHT THE POWER!
    - Build more mecha models. ( I really enjoy it! )
    - Make more friends and have more parties!
  • - Read 50 books.
    - Go to the gym 3 times a week, instead of the current 2 times per week.
    - Move to either Sydney or Melbourne and get a rocking jerb.
    - Start writing constantly, in blog, novel or diary form. Gotta sharpen them skills.
  • -Find better-fitting jeans.
    -Get a girlfriend.
    -Try to get off my lazy ass and do things.
    -Acquire my own laptop.
    -Attend more social events.
    -Go to my first concert, perhaps at PAX East.
    -Do not fail at the upcoming science fair.
    -Finally see all those movies I've been meaning to see.
  • I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father.
  • I will not fail as a father.
    Yours is the parenthood that will pierce the heavens!
    Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the me that's growing in my wife's uterus.
    Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the me that's growing in my wife's uterus.
    We evolve beyond the person we were a minute before! Little by little we advance further with each month! That's the way a fetus works!
  • -Learn how to program Java sometime before I go off to college so that I have a better background for my major.
    What major? Most computing majors have switched to Python for the introductory sequence. You'll need Java eventually, but Python will be more immediately useful.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm considering applying for an unpaid writing job. If I don't get it, which is very possible considering I don't have much of a resume, I'd like to find some other outlet for writing.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • -Learn how to program Java sometime before I go off to college so that I have a better background for my major.
    What major? Most computing majors have switched to Python for the introductory sequence. You'll need Java eventually, but Python will be more immediately useful.
    U of I is teaching Java in CompSci 102 still, per my roommate. Java is worth learning, but Python is so easy you could learn it in tandem from a book.
    Trust me, it's way easier than you'd think. There are like four appendages for picking them up and usually only one end gets dirty at a time. Also it's pretty much impossible to shove food in the wrong opening.
    Trust me, it's way easier than you'd think. There are like four appendages for picking them up and usually only one end gets dirty at a time. Also it's pretty much impossible to shove food in the wrong opening.
  • edited January 2010
    ...wut.
    Scientology or rather Tom Cruise
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
    I'm planning on Game Design, with IT as my backup. Python, eh? I'll have to consider that. I think the counselor told me that the CS classes start with Java, apparently. This is at RIT, mind you, so I'm assuming someone on the forums knows what's going down there.
  • I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father. I will not fail as a father...
    I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away.
  • edited January 2010
    - Get a new hard drive and get some proper gaming on.
    - Get help for my depression.
    - Grow my social circle.
    - Clear space in my room for a chair so I can read.
    - Space Lion

I doubt I'll be able to go back to college in time but, it'd be nice if I could.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2010
    -Get a new Computer
    -Become a true student of my college, James Madison University
    -Become a better chef
    -Fully understand what type of career and education that I want
    -Eat Healthier
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited January 2010
    -Being healthier to lose weight and to continue not having to to be on diabetic medication.
    -Find a way, financially, to get to PAX East without it hurting my savings.
    -Learn to knit
    -Getter a better position at the VA before our department is moved to Vegas.
    -Continue learning how to utilize my sewing machine for all of its capabilities.
    -Don't get anymore cats
    -Don't die
    -Accept that I'm turning 30 this year. -_-
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • - <= 175 Pounds
    - Read 64 Books (annual goal: best year so far was 2009 with 54)
    - Prioritize Alme family's diet enhealthification
    - Climb an actual Rock (the gym's fine in the cold, but I want to try climbing without multi-colored holds)
    - Sleep a few nights outdoors, out of sight of any building
    - Return to doing some work in computational physics

And, oh yeah:

- Fail to freak out over turning 40 (that one is actually pretty easy)
  • I'm planning on Game Design, with IT as my backup. Python, eh? I'll have to consider that. I think the counselor told me that the CS classes start with Java, apparently. This is at RIT, mind you, so I'm assuming someone on the forums knows what's going down there.
    Game design and IT are among the few here at RIT that are still doing the classic Java Computer Science sequence. I'd recommend you focus on object oriented stuff and recursion.
    U of I is teaching Java in CompSci 102 still, per my roommate. Java is worth learning, but Python is so easy you could learn it in tandem from a book.
    I should have clarified - I was talking specifically about RIT's introductory sequence.
  • edited January 2010
    1) Buy my first car (current car is a hand-me-down from parents)
    2) Fill out my wardrobe
    3) Replace my old tower computer with a laptop
    4) Learn how to play guitar
    5) Get better at playing drums
    6) Use both (4) and (5) with my band to perform my first ever live show
    7) Fulfill my only resolution (to be more determined, more productive, and more efficient, less lazy)
    8) Finish my second novel, then maybe start rewrites for both
    9) Start and complete my second game
    10) Complete NaNoWriMo again
    11) Get a girlfriend (though I honestly wonder if it would be worth it considering every thing else)
    12) Start building my own social circles without relying on others
    13) End the year with less things in my backlog than I'm starting with
    14) Achieve my year and a half long goal of attaining a six-pack
    15) Add more variety to my cooking
    16) And of course, continue to improve on what I've accomplished in the last couple years already

EDIT:
    17) Change my diet to be more paleolithic (just to see if it really works; my friend swears by it after switching a few months ago)
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • My one goal so far: Global Game Jam 2009. I want to hook up with a good team and get a working product this time!
    Also, getting in better shape wouldn't hurt either, so I have been going to the gym after work everyday so far this year (which was only just today...)
    Maybe I'll also get engaged, but we'll see about that.. depends on how well other things go.