This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Black and White

edited January 2010 in Video Games
It's starting out sometime this year in Japan for the DS. What kinds of small improvements do you think Nintendo is going to add?

As for new Pokemon, come on Flying-Eeveelution!

Comments

• Serebii says that it's going to be a new game series which can mean another spin off like ranger or mystery dungeon. Breeding and training Pokemon are the most glaring issues that needs to be addressed in the main series of games. I would recommend waiting for the third version of the gen V games if you have had your fill of Pokemans.
  • I'm just going to get my shiny Pichu from GameStop tomorrow and then wait patiently for HeartGold/SoulSilver.
  • I want them to get rid of hidden stats and values, and to stop having training and breeding methods which require the application of some bizarre sort of pokecalculus to obtain the desired results.

Even having to obtain an analyzer that revealed all numeric data on my pokemans would be just fine.
  • I hope the text and battle animations are faster and instantly skippable. Also, I learned my less. I'm not going to get the game when the first two colors come out. I'm going to wait for the third color to come out later.
  • I'm just going to get my shiny Pichu from GameStop tomorrow and then wait patiently for HeartGold/SoulSilver.
    Whut? What is this?
  • It's the "Pikachu colored Pichu" that enables you to catch the "notch ear Pichu" in HGSS. :|
  • Yeah, if you go to GameStop starting tomorrow you can get a shiny Pichu on Diamond, Pearl, and/or Platinum. Then when HG/SS comes out, you can trade it over to unlock an event that gets you a spiky-eared Pichu. Spiky-eared Pichu is probably completely useless in the long-run- it can't evolve because of time travel or something- but it's adorable.
  • edited January 2010
    Haha, I had no idea we were getting this event tomorrow. I thought it would be a while still. What a terrible lapse in geekiness for me. Thanks for letting me know!

As for a new pokemon, I'm still waiting on an actual wolf pokemon. Poochyena and Mightyena insist on having "yena" in their names in order to be hyenas, and everything else is a dog. Come on Nintendo.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • @loltsundere
    Houndoure/Houndoom? I always thought they were wolves.
  • I didn't know about this either and I preordered Soul Silver. I wonder if I know where my Diamond cart is...
  • Houndoure/Houndoom? I always thought they were wolves.
    Nah, it's just a doberman, from HELL.
  • I only see complaints about training and breeding, and none about HM slaving. They should purge those from the games and replace them with key items like the goggles from R/S/E and the bike/shoes. Seriously, FLASH? How about a FLASHLIGHT. Oh, defog, you so useless. Fine-grained flying would also be great.**

As for the region, they should pick a more volcanic area this time. The ash-covered path was great (poor Spinda, almost nobody loves you), and it would allow them to introduce a bunch of new fire types (grass/fire jackolantern please). I mean, D/P only had 2 available before E4, one being the starter. Supposedly the area above Johto/Kanto could fit this description, which they could then connect to those two as they did with (H)G/(S)S. Go forward another 3 years and show us what the heck is up with team rocket.

Since we've just had the highly religious Sinnoh, NO MORE LEGENDARIES, PLEASE. Just have a single trio and make people actually search for them as in R/B instead of throwing them on the main path.*

I echo Scott's complaint about speeding up battles. But I also would like to see more battle animations, so just add an extra option in the settings for "Crazy fast battling".*

There will probably not be a new eeveelution, but if they do, it'll likely be a pair that are not of the following types: Normal, fighting, flying, dragon, steel, ghost. Poison and/or ground I'd guess.

Get bro Pinsir back alongside Scyther as in first gen with a metal coat evolution. In the same way, awesome evolutions for Farfetch'd, Mawile, Dunsparce & similar. This will probably NEVER, EVER happen because they will just instead give us baby forms for, say, Carnivine, Lapras and Kangaskhan.*

Also, male counterpart for Kangaskhan? Or do we really have to go with the fan theory that Cubone is a baby Kangaskhan with the latter's skull on? In that case, also just freaking switch the sprites for Butterfree and Venomoth.*****(ad infinitum)

* likely not going to happen, ever. More stars = more unlikely.
  • Okay, I do have something I want: Farfetch'd evolution. Farfetch'd is one of my favorite Pokemon in terms of design, but I can barely use it at all because its stats are just so terrible and it's just another unremarkable Normal/Flying.
    Also, male counterpart for Kangaskhan? Or do we really have to go with the fan theory that Cubone is a baby Kangaskhan with the latter's skull on? In that case, also just freaking switch the sprites for Butterfree and Venomoth.*****(ad infinitum)
    I love those theories. The Cubone one I don't resign to so much, but Butterfree/Venomoth is just too bizarre.
    Though I feel the Japanese Red/Green sprites illustrate their similarities the best:
    imageimage
  • Yeah, if you go to GameStop starting tomorrow you can get a shiny Pichu on Diamond, Pearl, and/or Platinum.
    Or you could just get one of those Action Replays, or something similar, and just put all the shiny pokemans on your game that you want.
  • Or you could just get one of those Action Replays, or something similar, and just put all the shiny pokemans on your game that you want.
    Silence, infidel.
  • Or you could just get one of those Action Replays, or something similar, and just put all the shiny pokemans on your game that you want.
    Silence, infidel.
    Well, if you put it that way, then sure!
  • There is a whole lot I would like to see from a new Pokemon game, and I could probably go on for some time about the subject, but I think I can sum it up rather quickly: I'd like a genuinely new installment.

Playing Pearl, I had the distinct impression I'd done it all before. What I was playing was really just a shinier, newer version of the game I'd played so many years ago when I first picked up the series - Red. There are minor changes, but ultimately it's the same game with a new paint job. Hell, they haven't even really bothered with a new plot since the days of Red, instead choosing to endlessly recycle the same one from those days.

While I don't mind seeing the core gameplay remain at least somewhat intact, I would like to see new vistas, new challenges, new goals and a new story. I'm tired of the old ones.
  • I agree on speeding up battles and in game text.

HM slaves, yeah those things are very annoying. It sucks having to keep one or two Pokemon on the team just for HMs. The worst is when you have to either ruin a goof flying type Pokemon OR have some scrub on the team just to learn Fly (useful) and Defog (used about once each game).

As for AR, why even play the game at all if you are going to hack your way through it?
  • Yeah, they definitely need to do something about the HMs. I think one interesting way to fix the problem is to give every single pokemon ability a use outside of battle. Why do I need CUT when I have dragon rage? That's clearly capable of cutting. Why do I need strength when I have rock smash?

If they did this, they could make all sorts of interesting puzzles on the map. For example, they could make it so that some rare Pokemon learns some ability at level 80. Then you have to use that ability in one specific spot, and open up something crazy awesome.
  • While I don't mind seeing the core gameplay remain at least somewhat intact, I would like to see new vistas, new challenges, new goals and a new story. I'm tired of the old ones.
    That's why I think G/S are the best in the series, because when you return to the Kanto region you begin to see it in a completely different light. It was a great way to take everything you knew about the story and the region and flip it on it's head. I felt similarly about the way D/P was presented. I think a lot could be said for trying to make a game that centers around a different role that exists in the Pokemon universe rather than the very played-out role of "Trainer/Aspiring Pokemon Master".
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah, they definitely need to do something about the HMs. I think one interesting way to fix the problem is to give every single pokemon ability a use outside of battle. Why do I need CUT when I have dragon rage? That's clearly capable of cutting. Why do I need strength when I have rock smash?

If they did this, they could make all sorts of interesting puzzles on the map. For example, they could make it so that some rare Pokemon learns some ability at level 80. Then you have to use that ability in one specific spot, and open up something crazy awesome.
    Monkey Island, Pokemon-style?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Or they could make it like one of the recent Mega-Man games. You would actually play as the Pokemon and it would be real-time action. You would be put on a battlefield and fight the other pokeman who has it's set of moves and you would have your moves and you could use them and lose them and learn new ones just like in all the other games, it could be exactly the same game, just different ways of battle.
  • Defog (used about once each game)
    It's only in D/P/P, and using it means you spend a moveslot for nothing. It's not required at all to get through the game. Flash is the same, used once, not mandatory, but navigating a black cave is slightly harder than navigating a slightly foggy field.
    Playing Pearl, I had the distinct impression I'd done it all before.
    That's because you have. You start in a small town, get a pokemon from a professor, go out to gather 8 badges to battle the local E4 and to fill your pokedex, along the way you come across a shady group/cult and stop them from stealing pokemon/destroying the world/destroying the universe, you also have a rival. You can add a bunch of details that remain consistent. Plot isn't really something you'll find with the pokemon franchise.
    but Butterfree/Venomoth is just too bizarre.
    Compare the abilities, height, weight of the two with the other stages. It makes it even worse.
    You would actually play as the Pokemon
    It's called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Applying it to the main game just sounds retarded. Are you seriously willing to spend time in the PC Box? Are you?
    Why do I need CUT when I have dragon rage? That's clearly capable of cutting.
    Wuuuuut? How is a beam of burning rage going to cut anything? Sure, if it's hot like a flamethrower is could burn the darned trees, but that's different, and dangerous. While having out-of-battle uses for every move does sound great, it adds a fuckton of complexity in designing. Charizard is supposed to be able to melt EVERYTHING. Some asshole blocking your path? Melt a hole in the wall or him. Rock in the way? Melt it. Tree? Melt it. Forest? Melt it. Ocean? MELT IT. MELT DOWN EVERYTHING. As you can see it would break the game. Just replace HMs with key items and you're done. A saw/axe for trees, any pokemon can just run against a tree why require headbutt, a raft for surfing, diving gear, etc.
  • Wuuuuut? How is a beam of burning rage going to cut anything? Sure, if it's hot like a flamethrower is could burn the darned trees, but that's different, and dangerous. While having out-of-battle uses for every move does sound great, it adds a fuckton of complexity in designing. Charizard is supposed to be able to melt EVERYTHING. Some asshole blocking your path? Melt a hole in the wall or him. Rock in the way? Melt it. Tree? Melt it. Forest? Melt it. Ocean? MELT IT. MELT DOWN EVERYTHING. As you can see it would break the game.
    It would also break the game if Charizard could melt water Pokemon, but it can't. The fanboys can whine all they want, but the out-of-battle move usage would be fine as long as they kept it balanced. Sure, it might also mean a lot of complexity, but when it comes down to it you could put every move into a category, and have each category of move behave differently. I disagree with you here.
  • Venomoth/Butterfree
    How have I never noticed this?
    edited January 2010
    It would also break the game if Charizard could melt water Pokemon, but it can't.
    The pokedex clearly states it can melt anything, this thus includes water Pokemon. It also states it doesn't attack weaker pokemon, which obviously it does if you're using him at all. It was just an example to a weird comment.
    but the out-of-battle move usage would be fine as long as they kept it balanced. Sure, it might also mean a lot of complexity, but when it comes down to it you could put every move into a category, and have each category of move behave differently. I disagree with you here.
    The problem here is that you get even more of the crap that "I have this move that can do it, but I cannot use it because I don't have this fucking badge." Putting down a pokemon league store in places with a gym that hand out relevant equipment upon registering new obtained badges just makes more sense than surfing on a squirtle/shellder/horsea/rhydon/pelliper.

EDIT:
    How have I never noticed this?
    You now also realize that Giovanni no longer has a Kangaskhan in the last battle and that Team Rocket killed Cubone's mother.
    Post edited by ... on
  • You now also realize that Giovanni no longer has a Kangaskhan in the last battle and that Team Rocket killed Cubone's mother.
    You are blowing my mind here.
  • Or they could make it like one of the recent Mega-Man games. You would actually play as the Pokemon and it would be real-time action. You would be put on a battlefield and fight the other pokeman who has it's set of moves and you would have your moves and you could use them and lose them and learn new ones just like in all the other games, it could be exactly the same game, just different ways of battle.
    They made that, it's called Pokemon Rumble.
  • You are blowing my mind here.
    How about this. There's no other animals than pokemon in the world of pokemon. People in just about all the pokemon media(outside of the games) are seen eating meat. Where, praytell, does this meat come from?
  • edited January 2010
    Aha, but you've forgotten that South America is part of the Pokemon world!

edit: Also Minnesota.
    Post edited by Koholint on