This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sega announces Sonic 4

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
Kotaku story

Basically, Sega is pulling a "Mega Man 9" and releasing a sequel to Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knucles. This is probably a money-grab, but I'd like to think that Sega has finally learned their lesson with recent Sonic titles. Besides, the Sonic Rush series was good, so they definitely still have the capacity to make good 2D games. They haven't made a great 3D game since Billy Hatcher, or even a decent game since Shadow the Hedgehog.

Comments

• Wait did you just say Shadow the Hedgehog was a good game?
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    Wait did you just sayShadow the Hedgehog was a good game?
    I'm going with Cremlian on this one, Shadow was a pretty bad game. It was way too open-ended and the controls were pretty bad, as was the gun system.

Nevertheless, my interest has been piqued and I hope something good will come of this.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • They're doing it in episodes, though... I'll probably go for it if it isn't a rip-off.
  • Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was great... except for the Knuckles and Rogue levels where you have to find the chaos emeralds or whatever it was. That was TORTURE.
  • They had actually announced this already, as the Project Needlemouse teaser. This is the first time it's been named Sonic 4, though.
  • Will be interested.
  • I really, really want this to be good. This is Sega's big chance to redeem themselves. I'm already feeling a bit apprehensive since it's episodic, but I guess we'll have to see.
  • This is a step in the right direction.
  • This is probably a money-grab
    Isn't it always a money-grab? If it weren't going to make money, why would they make it?
  • edited February 2010
    Isn't italwaysa money-grab? If it weren't going to make money, why would they make it?
    At least when I use it, the term "money-grab" implies that quality is not a consideration.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited February 2010
    Wait did you just say Shadow the Hedgehog was a good game?
    No, I said it was decent. "Playable" I suppose is the word, in contrast with Secret Rings and the like that are practically broken. I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that they haven't made a game that functioned in, like, five years.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2010
    It's a good thing Sonic 4 is going to be downloadable. Ever since Secret Rings and Unleashed, I doubt any gamer would have the patience to go out to the stores and purchase a physical copy of the game.

I'm with Sail on the Sonic Rush comment, though. Rush 1 and Rush 2 were great games, and they have the potential for a fun multiplayer experience.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited February 2010
    I'm looking forward to it. And while I love all Sonic games equally (except Sonic 3D. Fuck You Sonic 3D), It's nice to see a return to form. I just hope they make it available on steam.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Can't wait for it myself. Although the episodic thing is a bit disappointing, I would've preferred a larger more epic sequel instead of little chunks at a time. But who knows? Maybe if you buy all the episodes you can have them Lock-On to each other :-p
    Also Sonic seems to be running really slow in that little bit of game play they showed. It looked more like a hurried walk cycle rather than a run cycle.
    But anyway, here's hoping to a game that isn't completely broken.
  • I lack confidence in Sega's ability to produce games these days, even of the 2D variety. I don't really like the visual style of the 3D-2D(at least not Sonic himself or his movements, the backgrounds look fantastic) and to be honest, if I feel nostalgic and want to play Sonic/2/3/& Knuckles, I'll break out them out. I guess I'm left wondering whether this will be more of the same as the Genesis games, or actually bring something new to the table.

Since Sega wasn't able to hack it making a 3D Sonic, I submit for consideration that they should employ Platinum Games to do it.

Also, I do like that they went back to the old Genesis "Sega" call at the begining.
  • Since Sega wasn't able to hack it making a 3D Sonic,
    Clearly, you've never played Sonic Adventure 2.
    Oh, you must be talking about Sonic Adventure 2, because all I heard was "Sega's best 3d platformer ever".
    Sonic Adventure 2 was a huge step down from Sonic Adventure. I recall it as having more camera screws, weaker visuals, less refined controls, and - oh hell, I can sum it up in four words; it was less fun. Also, it introduced us to Shadow, which is a sin I cannot forgive.
  • weaker visuals, less refined controls
    What.
    it was less fun.
    Sonic Adventure was at any point either stupid simple or infuriatingly arbitrary. I will bring examples if asked.
    it introduced us to Shadow, which is a sin I cannot forgive.
    You can't forgive Sega for introducing a new character with a complex background and personal viewpoints?
  • edited February 2010
    weaker visuals, less refined controls
    What.
    I thought it looked cheap, rushed, and generally unimpressive. As for the controls, they just didn't seem as tight, and playing as Tails/Robotnik was a fucking nightmare.
    it was less fun.
    Sonic Adventure was at any point either stupid simple or infuriatingly arbitrary. I will bring examples if asked.
    I'm not saying it wasn't, I'm saying in enjoyed it a whole lot more.
    it introduced us to Shadow, which is a sin I cannot forgive.
    You can't forgive Sega for introducing a new character with a complex background and personal viewpoints?
    That is correct. Shadow struck me as being on par with the millions of horrible fan-characters, from name(Shadow) to design(A Sonic recolor. Oh, he also has skates!) to tragic backstory and anti-hero attitude. I didn't like him from the moment he came on screen, and his obscene populatiry at the time made me feel like I was going to turn green and grow to ten feet tall so I could smack around the army to vent my unholy rage.
    Post edited by KusanagiRyu on
  • edited February 2010
    Sonic Adventure is really bad. It's a god dammed miracle that the sequel is as good as it was.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I liked playing as Sonic and Tails in Sonic Adventure. Knuckles was mediocre, Amy wasn't very fun, and Big was horribly frustrating. E-102 I'm not sure about, since while he's easily my favorite character his stages were like a less good version of Robotnik/Tails stages in SA2.

Of course, I played SA2 first, so..
  • I'm playing Neotokyo again. As it's not that important a game, I'm trying to train up my sniping abilities. I always want to try the shotgun and sniper rifles in games but I'm just a ton better with SMGs.
  • The only good 3D Sonic was Sonic Heros. :colbert:
  • I'm playing Neotokyo again. As it's not that important a game, I'm trying to train up my sniping abilities. I always want to try the shotgun and sniper rifles in games but I'm just a ton better with SMGs.
    I find that the best thing to do as a sniper (since I'm really only good at being a sniper in any given FPS) is to find a place to hide, get a few kills (if you can) and constantly move around the entire level. Mostly when I first play a new map I spend that entire time exploring every nook and cranny for sniper's nests and other hidden places to shoot from.
  • So, not Sonic 4 related, but close enough - Sonic Generations coming soon to 360, PS3, 3DS and... PC? And it looks like some old-and-new-school Sonic platforming action? Might be too early to say, but... fucking awesome?
  • So, not Sonic 4 related, but close enough - Sonic Generations coming soon to 360, PS3, 3DS and... PC? And it looks like some old-and-new-school Sonic platforming action? Might be too early to say, but... fucking awesome?
    Yes. Fucking Awesome.
  • What happened last time? And the time before that?
  • SHUT IT

I pre-ordered it on Steam, because it looks not shitty.
  • What happened last time? And the time before that?
    You shut your mouth YOU SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!