This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New HTPC

13»

Comments

• But imagine if tape did. That would be wild.
  • edited April 2012
    I was assuming the computer was in a different room, but it's in the same room and you buy a whole new comp instead of an HDMI cable O.O
    Post edited by iruul on
  • Long run HDMI cables and wireless mice and controllers. There's been people doing this on Giant Bomb.
  • HDMI to cat5 extender wall plates and an in-wall cat5 run. Don't even mention it to the landlord.
  • Mine is on the opposite side of the room. There's already one Ethernet cable and two speaker wires going across the room. I would rather not add so many more.
    It's not that hard to twist tie 4 cables together, dear lord. Just get a fucking HDMI cable if you already have a computer in the room. No need to be wasteful for the sake of being wasteful.
  • Ah, shit. Computer is encoding some video taking up all the CPU. Since it's also my HTPC I can't watch anything while I wait.

Ah shit, I want to play some NS2, but someone is watching a video, so I can't touch the computer.

Lots of reasons having more than one computer is awesome.
  • Ah, shit. Computer is encoding some video taking up all the CPU. Since it's also my HTPC I can't watch anything while I wait.

Ah shit, I want to play some NS2, but someone is watching a video, so I can't touch the computer.

Lots of reasons having more than one computer is awesome.
    Yes, having more than one computer is awesome, having more than one computer fixed to one and the same room is utter waste. And your examples are utter nonsense. Do you even do any of those things? Probably not. Even then, encoding a video generally has its bottleneck on the hard drive it's storing its data on, so that's trivially solved with having more than 1 physical drive. The second fails similarly in the fact that decoding a video barely takes any significant amount of resources, and on a multi-core processor you won't notice jack shit. If the video being watched is streamed, then it doesn't fucking matter since it would still be using your bandwidth if it was being streamed to a HTPC.

Now, please try again to justify such a complete and utter waste.
  • I often have one computer doing work while I play games or watch something on the other computer. Pretty much all the time in fact. Including right now. I'm watching Running Man on the HTPC while doing this and preparing for PAX on this computer.
  • edited April 2012
    I often have one computer doing work while I play games or watch something on the other computer. Pretty much all the time in fact. Including right now. I'm watching Running Man on the HTPC while doing this and preparing for PAX on this computer.
    And both could be trivially done on the same computer. There's not a single thing you could do on a computer that would use all its resources leaving absolutely no room to run any of the simple things you suggest doing in tandem.
    Post edited by Not nine on