This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Breaking Bad

Comments

• Blue means its the good shit.

• edited August 2013
    So I think what happens is that Lydia will try to force Walt back into cooking.

With the additional stress of Hank knowing and the cancer coming back I think Walt will evacuate the kids, Skylar and himself to Europe for that 6 month period (which is separating the flash forwards from the current time line). In 6 months he comes back, buys the M60 and visits his home which is trashed and his face is known by most people because the DEA are likely looking for him.

As for Jesse, he might be incarcerated by that point or be assisting the DEA in hunting down Walt as he may or may not find out about Brock, Jane and Mike's deaths being due to Walt.

It is the best transformation of a character I have seen in any medium. This cast and crew are excellent. Good guy to Villain over 5 years.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Holy shit...Jesse has found out the most important things. And Walter's entrapment of Hank.

FIVE MORE EPISODES.
  • For a minute there I thought Walt was going to suggest Jesse take a trip to Belize.
  • Jesse didn't even find out Walt's worst secret concerning him. Too bad the ending is already kind of negated by the flash forward scenes.
  • Well 1/3 Jesse found out about 2 of the 3 deaths for sure.

The confession was chillingly funny.

I really thought that guacamole was gonna happen.
  • The confession has one major problem: everyone inside the department knows what was going on at the same time of the confession events. Walter does not have complete information so he had to gamble on some things being hard to prove either way. There was the bug in the office but...
  • It's enough of a threat I think, with the hospital payments.

Most of the follow up in the office I believe was by Hank himself if I remember because he was the only one not to let it go.

I guess it's the seed of doubt that can be planted.
  • I really loved how they went back to the Gasoline scene in last week's episode and explained why the house didn't go up in flames.

More lies from Walt but...he's almost getting smothered by his lies at this point and I think Jesse realizes that. And Hank is now using some surprising tactics.

Who knows who will live by the end. But from what I'm reading that Vince Gilligan said the ending may be polarizing.
  • I really loved how they went back to the Gasoline scene in last week's episode and explained why the house didn't go up in flames.

More lies from Walt but...he's almost getting smothered by his lies at this point and I think Jesse realizes that. And Hank is now using some surprising tactics.

Who knows who will live by the end. But from what I'm reading that Vince Gilligan said the ending may be polarizing.
    All awesome shows have a polarising ending. Like I thought the Soprano's ending was awesome but so many people thought it was shit but didn't realise it was directly in line with the theme of mortality in the show.

Walt is exactly how Jessie describes him, the luckiest, most evil devil alive.
  • Walt has definitely become somewhat of a monster, but I'm still team Heisenberg all the way. We've come this far, right?
  • edited September 2013
    This show broke me of rooting for characters. I wanted everyone to succeed and I wanted everyone to fail. Now I'm just along for the ride.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • What are team Heinsenberg's founding principles? Poison children? Watch young women die? Menace your spouse? Be a spineless coward without an ounce of self-reflection or even the courage of your convictions?

The "say my name" scene was like a litmus test. Damn if 90% of the nerds on the internet didn't react like "that is awesome!" while the only reaction I could imagine was "that is so pathetic and/or creepy."
  • I won't deny any of those things, but I still can't help but root for him.
  • This show explores truly how a villain is formed.

Villains should always be portrayed as a darker shade of grey.

The straight forward nobody became Heisenberg due to the American healthcare system.
    Probably unintended subtext but it is government expenditure in the form of drug control forced by the lack of government expenditure in healthcare.
  • I've heard the argument/joke before that if it were to happen in most other countries, they would be fine because of socialized health care and he wouldn't have had to do any of those terrible things. I have to disagree because while medical bills were certainly a big factor, he was also trying to save up enough money to provide for his family after he was gone.
  • ^

Walter White didn't take up cooking meth to pay his impending medical bills. He took it up to insure his family would have enough money after he was dead because he did not expect to survive the cancer.
  • Yeah in actuality I don't think he intended to really HAVE any medical bills. He was gonna just ride into the dust. Then that changed.

I think the phrase "we've come this far" is fairly true for continuing to root for Heisenberg. He's still conflicted, which allows that ray of hope.

When Walt does things like the 'say my name' skit, its a bit strange and we can accept it fitting his character and all because Walt has an ego problem, but I don't think it's 'badass' in the way 'Stay out of my territory' was badass. He's just playing criminal mastermind and having some fun with it.

We all know that the other career criminals must see Heisenberg as some kind of curiosity, a strange and bewildering character that, still, doesn't belong to that world as much as he has made his bones. A nouveau criminelle that is worth the risk because his shit is genuinely the real deal.
  • That is right. Walter did not want to get treatment. Whether it was because of the cost or because he thought it wouldn't work was never clearly stated.

However, his reaction to the big mistake of his past (leaving Gray Matter for chump change) gave an early glimpse into the angry person he is on the inside.
  • Walter's primary character flaw (and how he is often exploited) is his pride.
  • edited September 2013
    A nouveau criminelle that is worth the risk because his shit is genuinely the real deal.
    Funny you should mention that. Here's an article that highlights the absurd premise of pure drugs.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • edited September 2013
    Cranston is such a fantastic actor. When he lies, he goes back to being dopey ol' Walt, middle aged father and terrible, goofy liar.

It's also great in s05e12 when he goes back to the gasoline soaked house to confront Jesse, and he's pissing his pants. All traces of badass Heisenberg are gone when he's under serious threat, back to cowardly, nervous Walt.
    A nouveau criminelle that is worth the risk because his shit is genuinely the real deal.
    Funny you should mention that. Here's an article that highlights the absurd premise of pure drugs.
    Angry-at-the-world-article-author is angry at the world.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I don't buy the 'mighty whitey' argument for this show. It is 'genius vs the world'.

Even when Jessie went to Mexico all he was doing was following Walt's recipe. Jessie added nothing to the formula.
  • I get the whole thing about purity doesn't necessarily equate to sales but I highly doubt that the show was just created as some sort of white supremacy propaganda. JFC
  • Well, yeah the article should have probably focused on drug purity vs a bait and switch to racial topics.

Anyway, yes, its funny that in the real world Walt's meth is essentially too pure to use. I can accept the show's device that pure meth = better meth = better profits... but I always questioned it as, yes, in reality you probably aren't finding a large paying customer base of Meth connoisseurs. You'd really just have a bunch of wasted junkies that will pay whatever scratch they have for as much as they can get of something.
  • If it is more pure wouldn't the same quantity last longer because the end user wouldn't need to use as much? Or couldn't the middle men cut it with something else to make more money off of it?
  • If it is more pure wouldn't the same quantity last longer because the end user wouldn't need to use as much? Or couldn't the middle men cut it with something else to make more money off of it?
    Well from what we saw in the show it seemed to be sold as intact crystal which really couldn't be adulterated, but maybe they sold the crushed powder off camera. And being too pure can actually be bad for business in other ways. I remember hearing about one gang in the 80's that sold cocaine (maybe heroin) that was much more pure and clean. They had to stop selling it that way because many of their customers were overdosing easily because it was so much stronger. Sure if you were a real meth connoisseur you might get the percentage and do some calculations to see how much you'll need to use, but to a junkie who is used to doing a certain amount they might just end up dying off the blue shit.

• The purity is just a conceit of the show that allows for the meteoric rise of a brilliant, disgruntled chemist. It's just a MacGuffin. Trying to link it to some sort of Aryan symbolism is REALLY fucking reaching.
  • Wow latent Nazi tendencies for those that read into white supremacy.

I was saying that the poor health care system is a recurring theme, like the second time it is brought up is Hank's health care costs.