This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sleep Is Death

edited March 2010 in Everything Else
So the guy who made Passage is working on something new. It's nothing like Passage which, depending on who you are, might be a good thing, but either way this slideshow nicely illustrates what the game is. If you don't have the patience for that, it basically brings tabletop RPG storytelling to computer gaming. Player 1 controls the main character, who can talk to characters and interact with the environment adventure game style, and player 2 controls the environment and all of the NPCs. Pretty neat, eh?

Not only does it try to solve the adventure game AI problem (by removing it entirely), but I think the idea of bringing real-time communal storytelling into computer gaming is really exciting. It's like the Little Big Planet of adventure games; putting user-generated content to the forefront in a (hopefully) user-friendly way. I'm amazed nobody has tried this before now.

Is anyone else as excited as me to see how this turns out?

Comments

• Saw this yeterday. Potential is high. Will it be fulfilled?
  • From the system requirements page :
    "There is no single-player mode. It is easiest to play over a local network. Have a friend over and plug in two laptops, or play over local WiFi. It can be played remotely over the Internet, but one player will probably need to fiddle with his or her router settings. Instructions for remote Internet play are included."
    I imagine that's going to kill this for most of you.
  • We'll try to play this any maybe review it soonish. ^_~
  • From the system requirements page :
    "There is no single-player mode. It is easiest to play over a local network. Have a friend over and plug in two laptops, or play over local WiFi. It can be played remotely over the Internet, but one player will probably need to fiddle with his or her router settings. Instructions for remote Internet play are included."
    I imagine that's going to kill this for most of you.
    Hamachi.
  • Hamachi.
    Just making sure everyone knows there's no sort of matchmaking system or anything.
  • Hamachi.
    Just making sure everyone knows there's no sort of matchmaking system or anything.
    Considering the type of game this is, it's probably for the better. Otherwise the penis invasion will commence.
  • edited March 2010
    I see no reason to be excited about this. If I want to do something like that I take Skype call my friend and run a freeform roleplaying over that call. Easy, fast and works over internet just fine. And if there is need for graphics I'm sure there is some kind of shareable drawing things on the internet that work just fine.
    Have a friend over and plug in two laptops, or play over local WiFi.
    And seriously. If you are at the same room with your friend why don't you just talk it out. Instead of using all the time for typing things you can just talk.

Nice idea, but useless, at least for me.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Considering the type of game this is, it's probably for the better. Otherwise the penis invasion will commence.
    It would be really cool if there was a matchmaking system with a sort of Storyteller/Character rep system. People vote you up if you make a good PC, and vote you down if you don't. Same thing for the quality of your stories.

Granted, I feel like Hamachi is a better system.
  • No, I think the way it's set up is the best way already. It's basically a role-playing system, but one that is built specifically with remoteness in mind. You try and play Burning Wheel over Google Wave, it's not going to be as good an experience as if you were playing it in person. But with this, nothing is lost with physical distance between players. I'm really, really excited to play this with my friends who are away at other colleges.
  • We have to play this, Sail. It's going to happen.
  • We have to play this, Sail. It's going to happen.
    Fer sure. I expect to be playing with everyone here, in fact. I've got it preordered.
  • Sounds interesting. I don't know if I'm going to buy it just yet- or if I will at all- but I'll look forward to seeing what everyone else thinks of it.
  • It would be really cool if there was a matchmaking system with a sort of Storyteller/Character rep system. People vote you up if you make a good PC, and vote you down if you don't. Same thing for the quality of your stories.
    It's going to be open source, mind. If the community is strong enough someone might just end up making something like this for the game.
  • I just got through the slideshow. The fact that the GM's custom sprites get added to your library kicks ass.
  • I'm excited that all the spriting I did in middle school is finally going to come in handy.
  • I preordered it. Now to find a friend who would take it seriously...
  • Well, that certainly looks interesting. Preordered, though who knows if I'll ever have any time to play.
  • edited March 2010
    That has potential. I'm going to wait for the forum's opinions on the released game before I look at it, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Between this, Flotilla, the mysterious Portal announcement, and Jonathan Blow's The Witness, I think the indie gaming community should make March 1st a holiday...
  • How about a "work like a motherfucker" day instead?
  • Here's an interesting article about the game.
  • So, who wants to play?
  • I'm just downloading it -- I'd be glad to give it a try.
  • I'd love to play but, stupidly, I forgot about pre-ordering until just now. I'll be up for it in about a week. :P
  • The editor in this thing is really deep. Definitely going to have to spend more time with it before setting up a whole game for somebody. Scene changing in itself seems like it would need some preparation in advance since it's basically impossible to build a room in 30 seconds.
  • edited April 2010
    Yep. The editor has a timed "practice" mode, if that tells you anything. :) But yeah, it's pretty complicated -- it'd be nice if it came with some better instructions. Gonna be a lot of trial and error. Also, more keyboard shortcuts would be a big help. Maybe we can get that in a later version or something.

EDIT: It looks like SidTube is the place to go for now.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If anyone wants to play Sleep is Death please send me an e-mail with the title "Sleep is Death" so i can share the game. I am playing with the editor and it is lots of fun. I guess i will send the link to the first that responds. :P
  • EDIT: It looks likeSidTubeis the place to go for now.
    Needs an editor tutorial.
  • Suh-weet.