This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dwarf Fortress 2010

Comments

• edited April 2010
    So I didn't prepare carefully for the journey, because I am lazy. It started me with no seeds. How do I get some fuckin' food! Fishing and Hunting is not enough. Also, I need brew, and I already brewed everything I have that is brewable.
    You may have the problem that you actually need to irrigate underground farms in this version, no matter what. Food was the first problem I ran into as well, as of yet I have not solved it.
    Channel from a lake+floodgate? That's what I'm planning.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Channel from a lake+floodgae? That what I'm planning.
    Oh, I know the solution, I just haven't had time to implement it yet.
  • So I didn't prepare carefully for the journey, because I am lazy. It started me with no seeds. How do I get some fuckin' food! Fishing and Hunting is not enough. Also, I need brew, and I already brewed everything I have that is brewable.
    Forage on the surface for plants, then brew them, and use the seeds to sow a surface farm. That, or dig down and face your fate.
    edited April 2010
    So I didn't prepare carefully for the journey, because I am lazy. It started me with no seeds. How do I get some fuckin' food! Fishing and Hunting is not enough. Also, I need brew, and I already brewed everything I have that is brewable.
    So? Just set someone to gather plants then. Reading the wiki still isn't rocket science.
    There's a version with transparent backgrounds.
    Yes, I saw that. You know what's fun about that? There's no tileset in that archive. Just the creature graphics.

(note, even if it was actually clean, I still wouldn't use FUCKHUGE16x16 tilesets. No longer used to them)
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited April 2010
    My fortress actually got going pretty well. More immigrants than I've ever had before. No attacks from anything. The worst is a raccoon that keeps stealing valuable gems. It's actually kind of annoying, because I've got a lot of gems, and I'm encrusting all sorts of finished goods like crazy. Can't wait for traders to show up, so I can rake it in.

Then, the dread spectre of lag reared its ugly head. The game runs fine, but ever two seconds it lags for about half a second. It's pretty much intolerable.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Then, the dread spectre of lag reared its ugly head. The game runs fine, but ever two seconds it lags for about half a second. It's pretty much intolerable.
    I wonder if you have a certain piece of hidden stuff (the underground undead fort) under your fortress? Every fort I've had where it was present lagged pretty severely. Easiest way to check if it's present is to look in your stocks list and see if there is a particularly awesome weapon on the list.

Also, have you picked a particularly large embark area? For the right site, more than 4x4 is overkill in this version.
  • Also, have you picked a particularly large embark area? For the right site, more than 4x4 is overkill in this version.
    It's actually a seriously small embark area. Going to check the stocks now.
  • Host your save file somewhere so other people can test it. You might have encountered a bug somewhere along the line.
  • Host your save file somewhere so other people can test it. You might have encountered a bug somewhere along the line.
    Where is the save file again?
  • dwarf fortress folder\data\save\regionx, copy the whole regionx folder
  • On the topic of starting builds, I would recommend that we should come up with a FRCF start setup that we decide upon. We can then save it and upload it for others to use instead of either spending all that time on making their own or using the shitty default.
  • http://www.apreche.net/~apreche/dwarffort/region1.zip
    OK, I'm getting those lags, and I'll bet good money it's because you only have 1 tile wide corridors. You need at least 2 tile wide corridors to avoid pathfinding issues that slow down the game, and I usually go with 3 tiles wide just to be safe.
    On the topic of starting builds, I would recommend that we should come up with a FRCF start setup that we decide upon. We can then save it and upload it for others to use instead of either spending all that time on making their own or using the shitty default.
    Here's my current build: DIY embark profile. Copy and paste that into dffolder\data\init\embark_profiles.txt (or create it if it doesn't exist). For instructions on how to use it, click here.
  • On the topic of starting builds, I would recommend that we should come up with a FRCF start setup that we decide upon. We can then save it and upload it for others to use instead of either spending all that time on making their own or using the shitty default.
    I would be extremely grateful for this.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, I'm getting those lags, and I'll bet good money it's because you only have 1 tile wide corridors. You need at least 2 tile wide corridors to avoid pathfinding issues that slow down the game, and I usually go with 3 tiles wide just to be safe.
    Yet again, shitty coding ruins Dwarf Fortress. The same thing we've been saying all along still applies. If he opens source that shit, then lead will be turned to gold pretty much overnight.
    Here's my current build: DIY embark profile. Copy and paste that into dffolder\data\init\embark_profiles.txt (or create it if it doesn't exist). For instructions on how to use it, click here.
    Good deal. I'll try it out. Any other anti-lag tips?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • He did open up the code though...
  • Good deal. I'll try it out. Any other anti-lag tips?
    If it's still an issue, wait until the OpenGL code is merged with the current version, that will speed things up considerably. There should be a release fairly soon.
    He did open up the code though...
    True, but only the graphics code, and only to one or two people.
  • The instructions for that starting loadout say to forbid/stash things. How do you do that?
  • The instructions for that starting loadout say to forbid/stash things. How do you do that?
    Hit k, place the cursor over the item you want to forbid, then hit f. If there is more than one item at a location, use + and - to cycle through items, then hit f. If it is properly forbidden, it will have {braces} around it.

Don't forget to unforbid the tetrahedrite after smelting the bronze.
  • Hit k, place the cursor over the item you want to forbid, then hit f. If there is more than one item at a location, use + and - to cycle through items, then hit f. If it is properly forbidden, it will have {braces} around it.

Don't forget to unforbid the tetrahedrite after smelting the bronze.
    Awesome.
  • May I suggest anyone with even a moderately busy fort try out Dwarf Therapist, it makes assigning tasks so much easier.
  • May I suggest anyone with even a moderately busy fort try outDwarf Therapist, it makes assigning tasks so much easier.
    "Zo, Tell me Habout your mother."
    "I remember playing with her silky, luxurious beard when I was but a tiny child."
  • Yet again, shitty coding ruins Dwarf Fortress. The same thing we've been saying all along still applies. If he opens source that shit, then lead will be turned to gold pretty much overnight.
    Sorry Scott, this time you are the problem, not the programming. Your dwarves are trying to do their jobs as fast as they can, and look for faster routes when someone slow is in front of them. Because you suck your dwarves cannot find any faster ways but will keep on looking in the case a fork in the tunnels appears. I ask you Scott, would you not want to walk past a slower person instead of climbing over them? This is not a case of bad programming, it's a case of the dwarves being smarter than you. I even went on a rant about it when it was my turn in the FRCF succession game because the previous players were more concerned with making all the unused paths crazy efficient and the most used paths ONE TILE WIDE. Sheeesh, it takes 2 seconds for a dwarf to get from the meeting hall to his bed and back, but the shorter distance to the food stores and back require 2 fucking minutes.

You have only yourself to blame. Also, read the wiki, or use the in-game manual. If you don't know how to forbid something, search for 'Forbid' for crying out loud. Solves your problem in a minute instead of waiting till finally someone responds to your question.
  • Your dwarves are trying to do their jobs as fast as they can, and look for faster routes when someone slow is in front of them
    That should slow the dwarves down, not the game. Because it slows down the game, it's bad coding.
  • Ah, first world problems.
  • That should slow the dwarves down, not the game. Because it slows down the game, it's bad coding.
    The dwarves are the game, it's 99.99% of the game, and they happen to spend a lot of their time walking or partying in their turn-based world. I fail to see your point. Surely you agree that if you start thinking longer about your move in a turn-based game the game will slow down, right? I give to you that the path-finding code can be improved, which has been stated to occur in the future, in the mean time, I haven't heard about Scott sending Toady One path-finding code.

Also, it's a game that runs on consumer hardware, is still in feature-grow alpha stages and having 70+ critters try to find paths at every opportunity because no solution could be found before on said hardware is going to tax that machine. They don't have the resources to think like a human, just enough to realize that they can pass a person by going into a different lane of the hallwa-ohwait, Scott doesn't have any hallway that's more than 1 tile wide, not even his fucking stairwell.
  • I haven't heard about Scott sending Toady One path-finding code.
    It's not open source, so I can't.
    Also, it's a game that runs on consumer hardware, is still in feature-grow alpha stages and having 70+ critters try to find paths at every opportunity because no solution could be found before on said hardware is going to tax that machine. They don't have the resources to think like a human, just enough to realize that they can pass a person by going into a different lane of the hallwa-ohwait, Scott doesn't have any hallway that's more than 1 tile wide, not even his fucking stairwell.
    Oh my bad, it's consumer hardware. Oh, yeah, the same consumer hardware that can render HD video, match proteins, search for aliens in space, trivially perform complex relational joins. Yeah, that same consumer hardware.

Every play Sim City 2000 on some modern hardware? Notice when you put it in Cheetah speed mode it goes so fast you can't even see what's going on? Dwarf Fortress would go even faster than that if coded properly. It's painfully obvious to anyone who knows anything about computers that it is probably one of the worst-coded things I've ever seen. I'm amazed that it even works.
  • I fail to see your point. Surely you agree that if you start thinking longer about your move in a turn-based game the game will slow down, right?
    The only computer games that are like that are old Atari Chess games. The pathfinding DF does is simple: it's 100% the fault of bad code that it's so slow and unscalable.
    in the mean time, I haven't heard about Scott sending Toady One path-finding code.
    Unless he open-sources it all, that would be pointless. You can't patch a bug you can't see. We have no idea what convoluted shenanigans are going on in there.
    Also, it's a game that runs on consumer hardware, is still in feature-grow alpha stages and having 70+ critters try to find paths at every opportunity because no solution could be found before on said hardware is going to tax that machine. They don't have the resources to think like a human, just enough to realize that they can pass a person by going into a different lane
    Are you kidding? Pathfinding is probably second only to sorting in terms of being the most-looked-at computer science problems in the history of computing. I highly doubt that the DF pathing requirements are both novel and nontrivial: they are likely a solved problem. Again, all that needs to happen is for one smart CS professional to actually examine and rewrite the code.
  • From what I hear, he doesn't even use proper programming techniques like encapsulation. I think he just copies and pastes similar code if he needs to do something more than once instead of writing a method that uses it.
  • From what I hear, he doesn't even use proper programming techniques like encapsulation. I think he just copies and pastes similar code if he needs to do something more than once instead of writing a method that uses it.
    How can people know if nobody has seen the source?