This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100412 - The Smart Phone Situation

Comments

• Wait two months for the HTC Incredible, though.
    Don't wait, you could be waiting for a long time. I was waiting for that exact phone cause it was rumored to come out early December and it never did. If I'd waited I'd still be chugging slowly on an ancient Blackberry 8330. The Droid might not be the greatest piece of kit with the Nexus one having been released, but it's still a really good piece of hardware.
  • Yeah, Pete had mentioned an affinity for Verizon however, and my answer was geared toward that.
    "Affinity" means "I get a 20% discount on Verizon service through my union." Verizon is going to remain my carrier for the foreseeable future.
    Wait two months for the HTC Incredible, though.
    The thing is, I don't think my phone has two months of life left in it. Like I said, it bricked itself today, three hours ago, for no apparent reason.

I think I'll try futzing with it and see if I can get it working again. If I can, maybe I can squeeze out two more months. If not, though, I'll be getting a Droid.

The HTC Incredible does sound pretty, well, incredible, though. I can only imagine what the pricetag on a thing like that would be, though.
  • edited April 2010
    The thing is, I don't think my phone has two months of life left in it. Like I said, it bricked itself today, three hours ago, for no apparent reason.
    If you want to wait for a better phone, that doesn't mean you need to keep your current broken one. Go to the Verizon and get the cheapest possible phone they have which can make calls and txt and nothing else. Just use that to hold you over until the phone you want comes out.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That or get a droid. Choose.
  • If you want to wait for a better phone, that doesn't mean you need to keep your current broken one. Go to the Verizon and get the cheapest possible phone they have which can make calls and txt and nothing else. Just use that to hold you over until the phone you want comes out.
    I'm not a fan of stopgap measures, but this might not be a bad idea. I'll have to assess the feasibility later tonight. I think I may actually have an old phone lying around at home, actually.
  • I'm not a fan of stopgap measures, but this might not be a bad idea. I'll have to assess the feasibility later tonight. I think I may actually have an old phone lying around at home, actually.
    I think I also have a Verizon phone lying around.
  • edited April 2010
    My friend has just claimed that his Droid has crashed 9 times in the last 48 hours. Mine has only crashed once or twice in the same period, but he uses his phone a lot more. While a group of 2 hardly proves anything statistically, we're pretty sure there's an issue with the 2.1 update as neither of our phones had this issue before the update.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Great episode, nice to hear some solid debate and counter-points. Could a phone centric episode become an annual or bi-annual event with you three? Loved it.
  • I am on a Rooted Droid running a Custom Rom and Low Voltage Overclocked Kernel. Ironically my battery life and stability is far better then any of my Droid owning student. The reason my battery does well because of the dynamic scaling of my processor, my phone clocks down to 250 mhz when the screen is off. My phone will Scale up as needed; making snes emulation run as smooth as butter. I think my stability comes from the low voltage kernel; since installing it my phone runs nice and cool.

Now is my Droid the right phone for a non geek/nerd? Hell No!
    The phone is a hackers dream, I have set it up the way that works in my life, but that took quite a few hows of playing and research; something most users are not willing to put up with. My wife is now on a Palm Pre Plus and is happy with it, except for the distinct lack of apps.
  • Since scott asked, the zune does his idea of having a podcast sync the play time. Its done this since about 2007.
  • Since scott asked, the zune does his idea of having a podcast sync the play time. Its done this since about 2007.
    Does the sync transfer automatically between all devices on the same song?
  • edited April 2010
    "Affinity" means "I get a 20% discount on Verizon service through my union."
    Wow, I figured it was more: "I live in Albany and they're the only carrier with respectable coverage here" but dam'n, yeah, no problem there.
    Don't wait, you could be waiting for a long time. I was waiting for that exact phone cause it was rumored to come out early December and it never did.
    Haha, were you also holding out for when the HTC Dragon was "just around the corner?" Oh, the feelings of dashed hopes we experienced in those times. Fortunately the HTC Incredible is legitimately just around the corner, with April 29th being the launch date.

Pete: there's really no question anymore. I'll find you another phone if I must, but you should really hold out for this one.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • Pete: there's really no question anymore. I'll find you another phone if I must, but you should really hold out for this one.
    We might have a couple lying around.
  • This was a really good episode. More Konrad!
  • Pete: there's really no question anymore. I'll find you another phone if I must, but you should really hold out for this one.
    Already bought the Droid. The physical keyboard was the clincher. I can't deal with virtual keyboards.
  • edited April 2010
    Haha, were you also holding out for when the HTCDragonwas "just around the corner?" Oh, the feelings of dashed hopes we experienced in those times. Fortunately the HTC Incredible islegitimately just around the corner, with April 29th being the launch date.
    1. I saw in an article that said it may be delayed and that Verizon, being tried of people bitching about the Droid not being as awesome as promised, is shifting focus to Windows 7 phones. Who knows how true that is.
    2. I highly doubt the "extra power" of the snap dragon CPU is going to make a big difference. The problem with the droid is android, not the hardware. My droid is substantially more powerful than your eris, but in the real world, android is so cumbersome (no JIT compiler as we've been discussing) that the droid is only marginally faster.
    3. Pete already ordered a phone
    4. Woooooo, ordered list
  • I can't deal with virtual keyboards.
    How much have you used virtual keyboards?
  • How much have you used virtual keyboards?
    Many many times. I literally cannot operate them as fast as a physical keyboard. My fingers are too large and frequently hit more than one key on a virtual keyboard. I refuse to send any communication with an obvious typo, so having to go back and correct a word because I hit two extra keys is incredibly time consuming and annoying.
  • edited April 2010
    Already bought the Droid. The physical keyboard was the clincher. I can't deal with virtual keyboards.
    I hear that a lot, unsurprisingly. Welcome to the cool kids smart phone club! :D

EDIT:
    shifting focus to Windows 7 phones
    Oh man, you have no idea how excited that makes me. I hope we at Verizon get first dibs.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • How much have you used virtual keyboards?
    Android virtual keyboard is not as slick and nice as the iPhone one. Physical keyboards are dying though, and the Droid is a good transition device for such a switch.
  • I hear that a lot, unsurprisingly. Welcome to the cool kids smart phone club! :D
    Yeah. I have a feeling that a lot of typists rely on physical feedback to tell them where their fingers are on the keyboard. I am certainly no exception.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah. I have a feeling that a lot of typists rely on physical feedback to tell them where their fingers are on the keyboard.
    You will be sorely disappointed with the droid keyboard. It's awkward and the buttons have poor feedback.

EDIT: One of the things that really annoys me about on screen keyboards though I never seem to be able to type on them while walking. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • You will be sorely disappointed with the droid keyboard. It's awkward and the buttons have poor feedback.
    Really? I've used it before, and I think it's just fine. It's about the level of feedback I'm used to with phone keyboards. It's certainly more feedback than a virtual keyboard; that's really the key. I can feel the actual buttons, which is more important than the actual layout.
  • Really? I've used it before, and I think it's just fine.
    My blackberry had a better keyboard, but I've just tried to use the on screen keyboard now and UGH. I think my biggest problem is that the screen and I disagree about the shape of my thumbs. So when I think I'm pressing one button, I'm actually one row down and it drives me mad. I type on physical keyboard mostly with my thumbnails, which doesn't work on the virtual one.
  • I think my biggest problem is that the screen and I disagree about the shape of my thumbs. So when I think I'm pressing one button, I'm actually one row down and it drives me mad. I type on physical keyboard mostly with my thumbnails, which doesn't work on the virtual one.
    The key is to not "press," flattening out your finger. The skin should contact, but not compress. If the skin between your fingertip and the fingerbone is compressing, you're doing it wrong. A light touch.

For the record, however, I prefer physical keyboards, though I fingernail them.
  • Question, do you guys actually want a panel on car modifications? Cause I could do one.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2010
    Question, do you guys actually want a panel on car modifications? Cause I could do one.
    I think it would be awesome. You could title it something about how wrong Initial D is. =P
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I think it would be awesome. You could title it something about how wrong Initial D is. =P
    Damn it, I'm gonna have to put on my writing hat and come up with a good description. Also, initial D is not as wrong as you think. A great driver in a well setup AE86 could beat good drivers in much newer and more powerful cars on a tight, technical, and steep downhill circuit.
  • @rym (I could not figure out how to quote from a previous page.)
    I am not entirely sure I know what you are asking. If you are asking about synching a podcast between 2 Zunes, then I think the following applies (Disclaimer: I have only used Zune in a 1 pc, 1 Zune setup.)

You have Zune A, Zune B, and pc1. I think that if you start listening to a podcast on Zune A, and stop at 20 minutes in when you sync to pc the pc will record the podcast as being played up until 20 minutes. Then if you sync Zune B, Zune C will have the podcast marked as played up until 20 minutes in, and start playing there when you start.

If you are asking about songs (In Zune "podcasts" are treated differently than "songs".) Zune will not sync the pause on a song. Each time you start a song it will start from the beginning.
  • EDIT: One of the things that really annoys me about on screen keyboards though I never seem to be able to type on them while walking. Does anyone else have this problem?
    A bit, definitely to the point where I always end up stopping and typing. I think it's because you have much less grounding/bearing on where your fingers are. I generally don't mind stopping for a second while I jot something down but I can see why it would be annoying.

You know, I'm really starting to see the appeal of a hardware keyboard. I'll have to get a device that rocks one at some point and really give it a go.