This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100412 - The Smart Phone Situation

Comments

• It's a shame the Wachowski brothers died after making The Matrix, I'm sure they'd have gone on to make great things.
  • It's a shame Frank Herbert killed his son and committed suicide shortly afterwards. I felt like he was going to write some great works.
  • edited April 2010
    Too bad George Lucas caught fire and was left in a coma after a pyrotechnics malfunction in the making of the last movie. I really wanted more Star Wars. :(
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I was really saddened when I heard that Steven Spielberg was raped to death by a bear. I guess we'll never get that fourth Indiana Jones movie.
  • I have now experienced the airplane bug on my phone. Very annoying but it is also a handy excuse.
  • JIT apparently makes Android awesome
    Will this be a free upgrade for everyone who has an Android phone running 2.1 already? Or will we have to wait for phones to ship with the new OS?
  • Will this be a free upgrade for everyone who has an Android phone running 2.1 already? Or will we have to wait for phones to ship with the new OS?
    Depends on which phone you have from which carrier. For some reason they can't seem to upgrade all phone models in unison. However, if you go on teh Internets you can usually upgrade yourself with some hackery.
  • Now this is just stupid.

I found out last night that Sprint has an Android update available for my phone. So this morning I get ready to download and install said update and what do I find? Big warning letters telling me that the update erases EVERYTHING on my phone!

WTF?

I have to reinstall everything and forward any txt messages to an email account? It wouldn't be so bad if I can quickly forward said txts but you have to do them one at a time!!!

Guess I'll hold off on my OS upgrade...
  • Went ahead and upgraded the phone and it works much better now. Sadly I lost all my txt messages and voicemails.
  • I have an android phone now. A HTC Hero. It's quite nice.
  • I'm seriously looking into getting an HTC Incredible, and making a switch over to Android.
  • I got the HTC Eris a couple of months ago. Not exactly my choice but I get free service and it was only about $40 for me to get, though I still feel like possibly trading in for either a Motorola Droid or an Incredible myself. I feel a little slighted that my first foray into the smartphone gen was made irrelevant in a matter of months but that's what happens in the tech world.
  • I'm seriously looking into getting an HTC Incredible, and making a switch over to Android.
    I've got an Incredible on the way. Have you played with one in a Verizon store yet? It makes the Motorola Droid next to it look ancient.
  • I've got an Incredible on the way. Have you played with one in a Verizon store yet? It makes the Motorola Droid next to it look ancient.
    I played with one my friend had, albeit for only about two minutes. I should really go into a Verizon store and sit there for an hour, diddling with it.
  • I should really go into a Verizon store and sit there for an hour, diddling with it.
    Don't be afraid to let a salesman show you around the interface. They'll show you some stuff you wouldn't even think of. Also: Order your phone soon, they're out of stock and backordered EVERYWHERE. Newegg has the Incredible for $150 rather than $200 and it comes with a 2gb SD card, but it'll probably take longer from them than it will directly from Verizon.
  • I'm currently presented with an upgrade to the Motorola Droid, as my dad's contract was up for renewal and he got it, but after about ten minutes he decided he was tired of smart phones and wants to go buy a cheap regular phone, and has offered to transfer the phone to me. However, it's still in the 30 day return period, and so I'm thinking I should return it and get either the HTC Incredible or the Droid X. Would anyone be so kind as to give me some advice in this matter? The only thing holding me back from immediately returning it is the physical keyboard on the Droid, but I plan to go down to the Verizon store today or tomorrow and try out the keyboards on both the Incredible and X. In regards to the newer phones, is one much better than the other? The reviews I've read seem to favor both rather highly, and I haven't found much in the way of comparison, so I'm not sure which would serve me better.

Then again, even the Droid is a fantastic upgrade over my Blackberry Storm - the thing barely works anymore, locking up all the time on me.
  • I would say get the Incredible because I heard the Droid X has some crazy phone-bricking hardware DRM in it.
  • I would say get the Incredible because I heard the Droid X has some crazy phone-bricking hardware DRM in it.
    Droid X has been rooted. Bootloader is still locked down, but if you can root it then you can get rid of the bloatware that Verizon packs onto it. The standard ROM is good enough for most users anyway.
  • HTC Tattoo arrives today, I keep hearing about a Android 2.1 release by HTC for it, but has anyone spotted a homebrew rom for it? I should just wait for HTC to haul their collective asses into finally updating it *offically*?
  • I get my iphone 4 on Friday - the Reception issue isn't a problem, as I was going to have a case on it from the beginning - because I know how strong the glass they use is, and I wouldn't want to smash it, and since I don't give a fuck about the aesthetics bullshit, a case it is. On top of that, it's the best phone I can get for free on my contract plan at this point, and if I don't use my contractual upgrade soon, I lose it.
  • How long until someone gets Android running on the iPhone, now that that is legal?
  • How long until someone gets Android running on the iPhone, now that that is legal?
    I don't think that legality was ever an issue for the hacking community.
    I don't think that legality was ever an issue for the hacking community.
    Yes it is a very big issue. Because it is illegal to do these cracks and jailbreaks, they are always posted on shady web sites with shady instructions. If it's perfectly legal to jailbreak, then legitimate companies can openly distribute, or perhaps even sell, jailbreaking tools out in the open. Legitimate news outlets can post instructions without fear.
  • Android running on the iPhone
    What omnu didn't point out is that this video is a few months old.
  • Why should I have pointed that out?

Also, from what I read on Techdirt, you are free to root your phone but if you were to put a modified iPhone OS on there, it would be copyright violation, Android, on the other hand, is GPL so you're in the green.
  • Why should I have pointed that out?
    As in - "They already did a few months ago" sorta thing - not mandatory, but it would provide some context.