This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Who is up for Adventure Time! (Not the show, actual adventures)

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
Ok guys, I haven't seen enough adventure amongst the crew on here so I am suggesting that we all go out on various adventures. My name is Phil and I am an unemployed outdoor guide. I am trained in and can teach

Mountaineering, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Bouldering, Repelling, Ice Climbing, Hiking Skills, Backpacking, General wilderness knowledge, Survival techniques, Search and rescue, Wilderness medicine and care, Geocashing, Sailing, Tracking, Fencing, Cooking for the outdoors and Caving.

I have other personal interests in various activities but no formal training, I would still be more than happy to share my knowledge and any acquired experience that I have on activities such as,

Parkour, Urban exploration, Buildering, Biking, Swimming, Diving, Tree climbing and Skiing.

There are others I am sure I've forgotten. Regardless this is what I can do. I would love to organize a monthly, bi-weekly or possibly weekly trip with you guys. So if you have previous experience or want to learn something new I would love to meet up with you.

Well here are a few trip suggestions that I have for our first trip on May 1st, If you don't see anything you like please just make a suggestion and I will add it to the list for people to vote on it.

Hike up Mt. Monadnock, Jaffery NH
(Opportunities for bouldering and some scrambling on the climb up)
Votes: 0

This mountain is the second most climbed mountain in the world second to Mount Fuji. There are numerous way to ascend the the mountain ranging from very challenging to a very easy leisurely trail with some great views and in the fall the mountain side is covered in blue berries. Depending on the crowd and skill level this trek could take from 4 to 7 hours and perhaps a bit more if we choose to do some bouldering near the summit. A great hike for all skill levels.

Island Hopping in Narragansett Bay, Bay Kayaking
(Opportunities for Fishing and even some urban exploration)

I currently have two single open top ocean kayaks and one tandem open top ocean kayak. I could take a total of three people plus myself between islands there are not a whole lot of them but some fishing could be done at any point and then some hiking once we get to the islands. In addition to exploring a few decommissioned military instalments on one of the islands.

Indoor Rock Climbing at Carabiner's Rock Gym, New Bedford MA

This is second largest indoor rock gym in the world and the first largest in the US. This is a great place for anyone to start off of climbing or for experienced climbers to practice, hone your skills and experience a rock gym like never before. Average rate for a lesson and rental gear is $29 cheaper if you have a valid school ID. The term "Valid" can be be pushed.

Outdoor Climbing Quincy Quarry, Quincy MA

A cool medium sized abandoned quarry that has been filled in by Boston's big dig project. Leaving some great access to mostly beginner routes and a few more difficult ones. I have all the ropes and gear but anyone who participates would need their own harness and climbing shoes but fun times for all. However if you already have you own gear and are more experienced you may want to go climbing somewhere a bit more challenging and we can totally do that too just make a suggestion for a location.

Parkour NYC, New York City NY

I have never attacked the city from this perspective yet but would be interested to hit the city with you guys. While I am no trained parkour instructor I have worked with a few after-school programs for kids and I do have a lesson plan.I will be attending Connecticon this year and I will be giving a parkour panel and then possibly a workshop or two. So if everyone is interested I could do a lesson and then we could go hit the city.

Geocashing NYC, New York NY

A simple search on Geocashing.com yeilds 931 results within 100 miles of a Manhattan zip code. If any of you have a gps (a car one will not cut it) then lets go for it. We can pick one at random or with some sort of formula.

Mountain Climbing Hudson River Valley, Beacon NY

Spent an afternoon with Alex and Rym climbing a mountain in this area last summer. (I can't remember the name) There are some great trails and amazing views all throughout this area. I am sure that Rym could make a few suggestions as to which mountain should we vote on this one.

Urban Exploration, Rochester Subway System, Rochester New York

Seems like a very interesting adventure. Here is a review of it http://www.infiltration.org/transit-roch.html I don't know if Rym and Scott already know something about this location, but would be interested to hear what they have to say. Could be fun, just a suggestion, if your interested in something else make a suggestion.

Ok everyone submit your votes if you interested and if nothing here appeals to you make a suggestion and I will add it to the list. I will update this post with the vote count.

I look forward to adventuring with everyone.

Cheers,

Phil

Comments

• Algebraic!
  • Ok... ok.... I did open my self to that one. I ought to have googled "Adventure Time". Well done sir, well done.
  • I need to make a better html parser for my brain. The moment I connect there's goatse everywhere.
  • This is relevant to my interests.
  • Should I just plan a trip or see who wants in? Or do people want to discuss possibilities?
  • Should I just plan a trip or see who wants in? Or do people want to discuss possibilities?
    Well, I'm gonna have to wait till I get to the states, but I'd be happy to take a trip along. Hell, I'd be happy to work with you, I can already do most of those things well enough to teach others, except anything with snow. Still learning the snow bits, but gimmie a break, I'm from a tropical country.
  • edited April 2010
    Which one?
    Post edited by Kerr_2.0 on
  • Mountaineering, Kyaking, Rock Climbing, Bouldering, Repelling, Ice Climbing, Hiking Skills, Backpacking, General wilderness knowledge, Survival techniques, Search and rescue, Wilderness medicine and care, Geocashing, Sailing, Tracking, Fencing, Cooking for the outdoors and Caving.
    Of the list, I'm only interested in kyaking, repelling, geocaching, sailing, and cooking. Also, I can google it, but what is bouldering? Smashing boulders?
  • Which one?
    Australia - Queensland to be precise. I'd never even seen snow up until two years ago or so, thus why I'm so shaky on my snow survival skills.
  • Also, I can google it, but what is bouldering? Smashing boulders?
    Short height climbs without ropes.
  • Posted By: Apreche
    but what is bouldering? Smashing boulders?
    You need the magic hammer for that and its one hell of a process to get a hold of that thing.
  • Posted By: ChurbaAustralia - Queensland to be precise. I'd never even seen snow up until two years ago or so, thus why I'm so shaky on my snow survival skills.
    Well mate you've got the best country in the world for mountaineering training right next to you. Just climb Mount Cook a few times and you'll be an expert in no time.
  • Your lack of SCUBA disturbs me...~_^

Anyway, I'd love to go caving, but I'm in the midwest. My summer is going to be spent mountain biking.
  • Well mate you've got the best country in the world for mountaineering training right next to you. Just climb Mount Cook a few times and you'll be an expert in no time.
    Oh, I'm perfectly fine with mountaineering, it's just the snow part I can't deal with so well. Well, that, and I'm currently living in the UK.
  • You need the magic hammer for that and its one hell of a process to get a hold of that thing.
    I've gotten it before, I can get it again.
  • geocaching,
    You know Scott, there are geocaches on Mount Beacon!
  • You know Scott, there are geocaches on Mount Beacon!
    There are also geocaches in Manhattan, which is much flatter.
  • You know Scott, there are geocaches on Mount Beacon!
    There are also geocaches in Manhattan, which is much flatter.
    Lazy.
  • Ok so I guess we should start taking votes then for an activity I will set the date for Saturday the first of May, start the voting for that now you can nominate a place and an activity and in my next post I will submit a list of ideas. After May 1st plan on the next outing to be two weeks after that, so that makes it May 15th.

If there is more interest for an earlier date let me know.

Cheers,

Phil
  • Ok everyone I have updated my initial post with a few suggestions for trips. Check it out and vote on what you would like.
  • No one up for this at all? Really? Well, should the date come with no interest I will be going to NYC for parkour.
  • I'm thinking on it. Don't worry. ^_~
  • Not everyone here lives in New York.
    Not everyone here is awesome. =P
    I don't live in NY either I'm four hours north in Rhode Island.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't live in NY either I'm four hours north
    I'm about 45 hours southwest =P

But if anyone wanted to come here and go sailing...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • But if anyone wanted to come here and go sailing...
    That had better be a euphemism for "have sex with Sail."
  • But if anyone wanted to come here and go sailing...
    That had better be a euphemism for "have sex with Sail."
    Damn, you found me out ^_~
  • edited April 2010
    I don't live in NY either I'm four hours north in Rhode Island.
    Half the people on this forum are about fifty hours west of New York :P. If I wasn't eight hours south I'd be all over Parkour in NYC. Maybe if I ever end up there I'll hit you up; Parkour is always better with other people.

(This also might be a euphemism for sex. We can't be sure.)
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Posted By: The Günter
    Parkour is always better with other people.

(This also might be a euphemism for sex. We can't be sure.)
    Hahahaha. Damn right on the parkour, as for sex its rather unmanageable with any less than two.