This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I know there's a small contingent of Philly area folk on here, and you may be interested in this. A gaming store in West Berlin NJ, All Things Fun, is holding their annual game auction on June 26th. I've never been to this shop before (it's about an hour and ten minutes from my house), but here's their listing from last year's auction. There are 150 lots auctioned off, and they'll preview them all at least a week or two in advance on their forum so you can see if it's worth going to. If I don't already have a kid by then (due 1 week later but these date things are fickle) I may try to check it out.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Anyone have any experience with Advanced Squad Leader? It's essentially a wargame without the minis or modeling.
  • Anyone have any experience with Advanced Squad Leader? It's essentially a wargame without the minis or modeling.
    Uh, there are hundreds of games like this.
  • Uh, there are hundreds of games like this.
    So you have specific experience with Advanced Squad Leader then?

I miss Battle Masters.
    Uh, there are hundreds of games like this.
    This is true, but if you talk to people who are really really into these types of boardgame style wargames, they'll all tell you that Advanced Squad Leader is the king. I don't know why, I just know that it's viewed as untouchable.

The only game of this type of no-models wargaming that I have experience with is the Commands & Colors series. They use wooden blocks with stickers for the minis, which was a bitch to assemble, but the game was tight. I've only played a few rounds but I'd recommend it (the version I played was Commands & Colors: Ancients, there are many others, including the newest which is covers the Napoleonic Wars)
  • Uh, there are hundreds of games like this.
    This is true, but if you talk to people who are really really into these types of boardgame style wargames, they'll all tell you that Advanced Squad Leader is the king. I don't know why, I just know that it's viewed as untouchable.
    Exactly, that's why I'm asking about this one specifcally, not the hundreds of other games like it. I'm not going to waste my time and money on anything that isn't the best in it's category.
  • So you have specific experience with Advanced Squad Leader then?
    No, I'm just referring to his description of "war game without miniatures." Most war games are the no-miniature type. Go to any game shop and there will be maybe 15 miniatures games tops, and 5 popular ones. Meanwhile there will be shelves upon shelves of non-miniatures hardcore war games.
    I was unaware, but now I am interested.
    The only game of this type of no-models wargaming that I have experience with is the Commands & Colors series. They use wooden blocks with stickers for the minis, which was a bitch to assemble, but the game was tight. I've only played a few rounds but I'd recommend it (the version I played was Commands & Colors: Ancients, there are many others, including the newest which is covers the Napoleonic Wars)
    I own Battlelore which is also a Command+Colors game just like Memoir '44. I'm very interested to see if C&C;: Ancients or C&C;: Napoleon are significantly different from Battlelore and Memoir.
  • More info:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243/advanced-squad-leader

This actually sounds like something I would do, but I would need other people dedicated to playing it somewhat often. Seeing as we can't even get tabletop RPGs to play often...
  • OK, that really does sound totally awesome.
  • This actually sounds like something I would do, but I would need other people dedicated to playing it somewhat often. Seeing as we can't even get tabletop RPGs to play often...
    OK, that really does sound totally awesome.
    These are the times when I wish I didn't live in the fucking South...
  • edited May 2011
    I own Battlelore which is also a Command+Colors game just like Memoir '44. I'm very interested to see if C&C;: Ancients or C&C;: Napoleon are significantly different from Battlelore and Memoir.
    Memoir = Light
    Battlelore = Medium
    C&C; = Heavy

The rules systems are tweaked slightly for each to accomodate the theme (WWII, fantasy, distant history). For instance, the C&C; games have a big focus on fighting as grouped units under the command of a field general. Feels like playing a streamlined Warhammer Fantasy. Also, if you dig the historical aspect, you'll be really happy with how closely they try to represent actual history in the battle scenarios.

To actually answer your question, they do differ, but not significantly enough to warrant owning them all. Everyone I know who is into one of them has a clear favorite and either sold or didn't buy any of the others in the first place.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Looks like there a lot of vassal support, they even got permission to use all the artwork, but I know the interface can put people off. Still, if people want to try online games...
  • I'm very interested to see if C&C;: Ancients or C&C;: Napoleon are significantly different from Battlelore and Memoir.
    I haven't played C&C; or Memoir, but I've seen them played. I much prefer Battle of Westeros over Battlelore and the other C&C; "family" of games. I hated the randomness of Battlelore where you were very much dependent on the cards you drew, as well as the dice. BoW fixes what I think are many of the flaws in Battlore and really evolves the C&C; system to the next level. The introduction of leaders and their effect on the troops around them adds another level of strategy and tactics to the game. Plus, I'm a sucker for the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) world.
  • Looks like there a lot of vassal support, they even got permission to use all the artwork, but I know the interface can put people off. Still, if people want to try online games...
    I'm down with playing online games, and have a high tolerance for shitty UIs if it means I'm gonna get some board gaming on.
  • Really? Memoir is LIGHTER than Battlore? How is that even possible?
  • Really? Memoir is LIGHTER than Battlore? How is that even possible?
    Battlelore just has so many more moving parts. Memoir is lighter simply because it players faster and has less fiddly bits. Don't get me wrong, Memoir still has a lot going on and they're extremely similar games, but Memoir is definitely the lighter choice.
  • I'm down with playing online games, and have a high tolerance for shitty UIs if it means I'm gonna get some board gaming on.
    Here's the thing. If we are going to play a turn based strategy game online, we might as well play something like Open General instead of ASL. It's essentially a PC Advanced Wars so you get your wargamming/strategy on without having to fiddle with online dice rollers and clunky 'board game' interfaces.
  • Where's the grid?
  • Where's the grid?
    You can toggle it on or off, but it's just a simple hex grid. Moving units or firing automatically shows it's ranges and such.
  • Where's the grid?
    You can toggle it on or off, but it's just a simple hex grid. Moving units or firing automatically shows it's ranges and such.
    Oh, ok. I'm just not a fan of using actual rulers and shit. Too hard.
  • Oh, ok. I'm just not a fan of using actual rulers and shit. Too hard.
    Oh yeah, that's the thing I'm trying to avoid. Vassal modules often require fiddling with board game mechanics that just don't translate well digitally. The only problem with Open General is that it's currently only play by e-mail and you need to physically send the turns via an e-mail client.
  • The only problem with Open General is that it's currently only play by e-mail and you need to physically send the turns via an e-mail client.
    I don't consider that a problem.
  • edited May 2011
    As long as each turn is actually significant, and a game lasts on the order of 100 turns each, that's great.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Last weekend I had loads of people over at my place. We played many games. Or, to be clear, my Visigoth visitors played many games, and I had shit to do, but I joined in on some.

Dixit. Still awesome. We played in teams. That adds another level to the game, where between the two of you you can play a mini-Dixit where you both pick which card of your own works best. At the end we were in fourth place, but I said "We can get joint first if we pick the right card, and at least one other person picks us." And guess what? That exact thing happened. Awesome.

Ubongo. Or something. You have to build 3D shapes out of 3D tetris-like pieces. It's a race. Those little shape building puzzles always amuse me, but I've never thought I was any good at them. But I fucking rocked at this game! I didn't know I had it in me. In the time it took the third player to find the solution of the simplest puzzle on the card, I would do that one, plus the two advanced puzzles on the back, just for fun.

King of Tokyo. This was my favourite game of the weekend, as it's a new one. You play as monsters attacking each other in Tokyo. There are bonus cards and moneys, but the main mechanic is a Yahtzee-style dice rolling thing. Which is super fun! Because a lot relies on the roll of the dice, it's a very good social game, as you can be as open as you want about your plans and cards and everything. Everyone comments on the best thing to do all the time, and it's almost impossible to gang up on any single player.

But while some is down to luck, you can maximize your chances of winning by clever play, and by investing money in good cards. I knocked out two people, then stayed in Tokyo for three full rounds, racking up victory points. Another guy needed just two points to win, but had to rely on rolling three twos (or three threes). He failed at this twice in a row! It was down to luck, of course. But then it reached me, and I had three ways to win. I could either roll twos (or threes), get two moneys to buy a card which would let me win right away, or failing the rolls I could attack the person who was almost winning, and make it so they couldn't win the next turn, and I would stay in Tokyo to win automatically on my next round.

Anyway, I won (or joint won) all three games I played over the weekend. Good times!

• As long as each turn is actually significant, and a game lasts on the order of 100 turns each, that's great.
    Most games are around 20 turns maximum. But every move is extremely important. Shit is deadly in this game.
  • I miss Battle Masters.
    It's a weak sauce system with similarities to Command and Colors. I have fond memories of it, but there are better games. ;^)
  • edited May 2011
    King of Tokyo. This was my favourite game of the weekend, as it's a new one. You play as monsters attacking each other in Tokyo. There are bonus cards and moneys, but the main mechanic is a Yahtzee-style dice rolling thing. Which is super fun! Because a lot relies on the roll of the dice, it's a very good social game, as you can be as open as you want about your plans and cards and everything. Everyone comments on the best thing to do all the time, and it's almost impossible to gang up on any single player.
    I am very interested in this one! You may recognize the designer, Richard Garfield, as the creator of Magic. He also made my favorite large-group game, Robo Rally. Glad to head you played it and that it's not shite. Unfortunately the game doesn't have a distributor in the US yet so I'll just have to wait and see.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I have fond memories of it, but there are better games. ;^)
    I know, but I like how big that game was.
  • edited May 2011
    I have fond memories of it, but there are better games. ;^)
    I know, but I like how big that game was.
    You want a big game? This past weekend's game of Axis & Allies Global. So big I was intimidated to try playing it, but it was just one of those gaming experiences I had to try once.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Oh dude. I did not know that Axis & Allies: Global was a thing that even existed. Look at the action in the Pacific!