This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Shit, where'd you order from?
    Funagain games. Looks like they still have availability, but they bumped the price up $20.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited June 2012
    Fuck that noise. I can wait; I've got Endless Space.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • NeoNeo
    edited June 2012
    I got a new game for my birthday: Qwirkle

An oddly-named game that has a very straight-forward premise, simple rules, but entertaining group gameplay. In my mind I think of it as scrabble without a board and with shapes & colors rather than letters.

2011 Spiel des Jahres Winner
    Post edited by Neo on
  • I got a new game for my birthday: Qwirkle

An oddly-named game that has a very straight-forward premise, simple rules, but entertaining group gameplay. In my mind I think of it as scrabble without a board and with shapes & colors rather than letters.

2011 Spiel des Jahres Winner
    I got this game at a White Elephant party and I gotta say it's a great fun casual game and is routinely the game played next to the hardcore game during my board game nights.

• edited June 2012
    Mike/Gabe from PA was talking this game up on his Twitter. It sounds good conceptually, but I'm skeptical that it actually holds up. How is this different from say, No Thanks! besides the cool hacker theme?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/118063/infiltration
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I raised an eyebrow at those tweets as well. I've heard Infiltration is a nice game but nothing special. Opinions still trickling in b/c it's a brand new release.

My theory is that it might be Mike's first exposure to simultaneous action selection, particularly, how it helps games with high player counts flow smoothly.
  • I raised an eyebrow at those tweets as well. I've heard Infiltration is a nice game but nothing special. Opinions still trickling in b/c it's a brand new release.

My theory is that it might be Mike's first exposure to simultaneous action selection, particularly, how it helps games with high player counts flow smoothly.
    Whoah. I think I just invented a game that is basically No Thanks! with simultaneous decisions instead of circular.
  • OK let's make it.
  • So I think I have achieved the optimal play in Ora et Labora. I am now defeating my opponents by an average of 40 points, the sad part is that this game is now out of print and not sure if I am going to find anyone to challenge me to see if I am either really good, or the quality of player is not so good.
  • So I think I have achieved the optimal play in Ora et Labora. I am now defeating my opponents by an average of 40 points, the sad part is that this game is now out of print and not sure if I am going to find anyone to challenge me to see if I am either really good, or the quality of player is not so good.
    Are you playing online somewhere?
  • The Following Items have shipped:
    Eclipse
    Yes. Finally.
  • edited June 2012
    Ignore the double post!
    Post edited by Coldguy on
    Are you playing online somewhere?
    Nope been playing it at various board game nights that I attend with real people. Now if I can get a webcam going to host online games with the crew ITS ON!
  • My brother and I played two hours of chess last night over milkshakes on the local ice cream parlor's public boards. It was fantastic. I was working on the Queen's Gambit a lot, which almost gave me an edge on my brother. He never plays chess, but he's preternaturally good at combinatorial abstract games. He'd be downright fearsome on a goban.
  • edited June 2012
    He'd be downright fearsome on a goban.
    If I'm in Chicago, I'll be sure to have a game with him, or teach him, if necessary. Go sounds right up his alley.

If he can beat me, then...well, he's better than some shithouse, low-skill beginner at Go, I guess.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He's nuts on the chess board. Kid sets up blunders without even realizing he's doing it.
  • He'd be downright fearsome on a goban.
    There's a way you can test that ^____^

I wouldn't hold out great hope for instant mastery but rapid mastery is just as good! With good study one can easily become 1dan in a year.

• Got my copy of Eclipse at lunch. That's a might big rulebook. And no time to read it tonight.
  • Got my copy of Eclipse at lunch. That's a might big rulebook. And no time to read it tonight.
    That is not a big rulebook.
    Subjective.
  • Oh I think my copy of Eclipse arrives on Monday!
    Subjective.
    Relative. You clearly haven't seen many rulebooks. Let's forget about tabletop RPGs since their books are very large. Let's even forget about large manuals for PC games like Civ 2. The Eclipse rules are just about the same as other board games such as Puerto Rico and such. Games like Agricola or Ora et Labora have much longer rules since they include detailed rules for a large number of cards.

But if you want truly long rulebooks, just look at any real war game. Oh, how about Battletech Master Rules, 161 pages. Or how about Warhammer 40k 5th edition which Amazon.com lists as 3 pounds, with no page count.
  • edited June 2012
    I've seen a lot of rulebooks. PC game rulebooks, war game rulebooks and roleplaying game rulebooks are judged by a different standard than a board game. I judge board games against board games, and this one was about as hefty as descents.

The rulebook looked bigger than puerto rico. I could compare when I get home, but why care enough to comment or argue about such a thing? Purely subjective thing here.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I've seen a lot of rulebooks. PC game rulebooks, war game rulebooks and roleplaying game rulebooks are judged by a different standard than a board game. I judge board games against board games, and this one was about as hefty as descents.

The rulebook looked bigger than puerto rico. I could compare when I get home, but why care enough to comment or argue about such a thing? Purely subjective thing here.
    It's not subjective, we can measure it. Want to count words? The font is pretty big in the Eclipse book, and it only takes up part of the page. The Puerto Rico rules are small font and more dense. Agricola is even more dense.
  • You are trolling, sir.
  • You are trolling, sir.
    I'm just saying. When something can be measured, subjective it 'aint.
  • Assuming you are not trolling then, yes: you can measure word count, page count, size, font, blah.

But that does not tell you whether or not it's a "big" thing.

It's like you only half-way understood your own argument about objective quality of a medium.
  • Was visiting my parents last couple of days and during that time I played two games of Dominion against my mother. Lost both of them. And my mother has a hard time even grasping the rules.

I'm disappointed of myself.
  • Was visiting my parents last couple of days and during that time I played two games of Dominion against my mother. Lost both of them. And my mother has a hard time even grasping the rules.

Get thee to the Isotropic! You need a Dominion-playing montage.

Don't feel too badly, the one and only time I've played Dominion with my family, I lost to both my mom and my sister. Neither of them had ever played it before.