This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Also here's Eclipse for $54.99: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/134928

For today only I think as it's one of their "Daily Sales"
    That link shows $64.99 when I click on it, which is the same price I see on Amazon. ;^)

• "For today only" as in yesterday when I posted the link heh.
  • "For today only" as in yesterday when I posted the link heh.
    And that's what I get for being at PAX. =P

At least the current going rate isn't much higher than that sale price now.

• I just wanted to mention thanks for anyone who sat down and play tested Supernatural Selection this weekend. I got a lot of really good feedback.
  • I just wanted to mention thanks for anyone who sat down and play tested Supernatural Selection this weekend. I got a lot of really good feedback.
    It's coming along, that's for sure.

Anytime! It was great meeting everyone for (mostly) the first time.
  • I had wanted to give it a shot. I didn't see you guys all con. I think the only board games I got to play were Thursday or with Hi-def. I'm glad I got my PAX eclipse game in and we were relatively time efficient.
  • PAXes are increasingly hectic for me and Scott as the years go by, between Enforcing, running lectures, and being too old to redbull it all night. ;^)
  • Yeah... it's funny that the only times I saw either of you is when you were in [E]. Similarly, I think you mostly saw me in [E]. That kinda defined this PAX for me.
  • I had wanted to give it a shot. I didn't see you guys all con. I think the only board games I got to play were Thursday or with Hi-def. I'm glad I got my PAX eclipse game in and we were relatively time efficient.
    I was surprised so many FRC forum people wanted to play that copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights I brought. Of the games I played at the con, Netrunner is definitely where it's at; I played for six hours yesterday after I got back to Philly.
  • Netrunner is defs good. And I'm not good at it yet, which is important, because one of the aspects I enjoy the most about gaming is climbing the heuristic tree. People that play card games hardcore give me a lot of potential challenges to overcome.
  • In the next couple of weeks I will be working on the rules and making a few changes to some of the cards in Supernatural Selection. I am thinking about then seeing if there is any interest in people downloading a print and play version and blind testing the game. Unfortunately, printing, cutting and shipping the game myself to interested people is a bit cost prohibitive for me to do for any interested parties.

I will also be continuing the play testing at home to get things more streamlined and hopefully have a mostly finished game for Prime, and maybe, starting to look at options for publishing the game and getting a Kickstarter set up.

It is all tentative for now, but I think I can put the effort into it to meet some, if not all, of these goals.
  • Was able to play Caylus last night, it has been a while and the final turn made the winner with who was going first. I called the winner and told everyone to stop him and no one took my advise, I felt like Scott...

Also bought and played the new hot game, Caveman and the quest of Fire. For $25 it packs a LOT of replay value with a great outline on the multiple paths to victory. Highly recommended.
  • Played the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game game last night and thought it was fairly freaking cool. One thing I super wish was different tho is the score track. It feels really weird to always know exactly who's in what place at all times in a game where there's a lot of hidden information. I feel like the only real reason to make an alliance or help another player or w/e is just to fuck with the person in first. But I do like everything else a lot.

Tho side note I did play as no one recommends: a 4 and then a 3 person game. Maybe helping other players makes more sense with 5 or 6?

• Tho side note I did play as no one recommends: a 4 and then a 3 person game. Maybe helping other players makes more sense with 5 or 6?
    YES IT DOES. A lot actually, to the point where secret alliances can turn the game into a pair's favor if they played it right. There are additional expansions that are not required but help curb this effect.
  • Playing against the NPCs ruins an otherwise great game. Game of Thrones requires you to control 8(?) castles to win, and with all dynamically-reacting human players, it becomes incredibly up easy to stretch yourself to 6, and near impossible to get to 8. You can't do it without some grand, oh shit moment.
  • edited March 2013
    I dunno, in our games, no one really bothered with NPC areas cause we played super combatively. I mean really it makes more sense to build up your forces in a 3-4 person game and try to take your opponents strongholds/castles instead of spreading thin and heading south. Tho I do get how it can make the end of the game less interesting, cause if youre close to winning, then it does make sense to go for easy NPC areas while just defending your other stuff. Side note: it's 7 castles
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited March 2013
    Happy tabnletop day to those who are going out. I played some Power Grid on the new map (the opposite of England/Ireland), more caveman, and some glory to rome last night.

I also bought 3 sets of Power Grid Money Cards and got free shipping with FREESHIPPING20.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I played Netrunner so much yesterday. Today, taking care of shit in the apartment. If anyone wants to celebrate tabletop day by playing webcam Netrunner, hit me up later after I get my shit together.
  • Played a game of Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar last night and I really enjoyed it. It seems like it would be just another Euro worker-placement game, but the way the gears work adds something completely new. Yes, the gears could be considered somewhat gimick-y, but the game was a lot of fun and the components were gorgeous, if somewhat delicate. I can see a lot of replay potential in this game because the buildings and monuments that come out are random and you probably will never play with the exact same ones in two games. Overall, I would rate this game very highly.
  • I really want to play Tzolk'in. I saw it at PAX a lot. I would buy it, but it is very expensive.
  • I really want to play Tzolk'in. I saw it at PAX a lot. I would buy it, but it is very expensive.
    I keep seeing it for about $55-$65 online, which doesn't seem that expensive to me. That's about what it would cost retail.

It's definitely worth playing. I'd pick it up myself if I hadn't just bought Suburbia AKA SimCity the boardgame.

• Yay! Tabletop Day! I hope it becomes successful.

I plan on going to a local place in a few hours to game it up all day. Just bought River Dragons last night. I mainly got it because it looks like an easy, fun, and faster game like Takenoko. Only thing I wish they had was a cool dragon figurine! I don't think the game needs it, but it would have been cool.

Also I get to be a Chinaman. Awe yeah.

/RacistRo
  • I played Netrunner so much yesterday. Today, taking care of shit in the apartment. If anyone wants to celebrate tabletop day by playing webcam Netrunner, hit me up later after I get my shit together.
    I would take you up on this if Saturday weren't my normal gaming group's day. I plan on getting four or five people to demo Netrunner so I can get some local competition.
  • For ITTD I am DMing a small group of people in a pathfinder game. I'm going to attempt to get these people to plat board games afterward but they are pigeon holed against the idea. And boy do I want some of the sweet, sweet promo stuff!
  • I managed to convince a person to go and buy power grid and innovation, mission complete?
  • You win today.

On vacation with the family, we broke out The Great Heartland Hauling Company, and really enjoyed it. Got a bit of Ticket to Ride feel in that its a card-driven map game, but you are driving a truck around doing pick-up-and-deliver of goods for cash, not buying up train tracks. 2-player game was over in 20 min and we are eager to try it with 4. It's a meatier-than-average warmup game.

I haven't been buying much lately but Game Salute was dumping stock on Sunday at PAX, 50% off to Enforcers, so I snagged Heartland for $10. Still a good value at $20.
  • Played some party games this weekend. Snake Oil, Dixit, King of Tokyo and Coup.

Coup seemed pretty interesting. It's a game of bluffing. You have two face down cards in front of you representing two guys in your court. You may do any action such as taking money from the bank or paying an assassin to kill one of your opponent's cards but if someone calls you on your action and it's not one of the cards you have then your guy gets killed off and revealed to the table. If you do have the right card you can reveal it, replace it for a new card and kill one of the caller's cards. When all your opponents are eliminated, you win.

There's hight interactivity, which invites politics into the situation. No one won a game twice in a row when we played.
  • edited April 2013
    Uchronia is a solid game. Once I realized the way to win, it was too late for me. I like it better than Glory to Rome, however I will say that I played/learned GtR when it was VERY late and it was mainly Scott playing for me.

Also River Dragons is fun. It's one of those easy fast break out games to play. There is a basic side of the board game where it shows where stones should be placed, but the other side is hardcore mode where there are no help in stone placements and you have to determine where to place your stones for your planks to evenly be placed.

3 player is ok. 2 player is kinda silly. I think the game is best played with 4. 5-6 can probably get chaotic, but fun.

Edit: These were all played on Table Top Day.

We finally played Small World Realms. The set up takes a while, but is very fun. I handily won the game and was scoring 20+ for at least 3 rounds. I only went into decline once. Dragon Master Ratmen FTW!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Just read up on a game I played when I was a tiny child and didn't understand it at-all called Omega Virus.

Tempted to plug the game into my API engine thing. It wouldn't be "too" difficult.