This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited December 2013
    HMTKSteve said:

So... What awesome stuff am I completely unable to get my hands on because I did not back the kickstarter for Ogre?

This
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Holy shit, scheduling a game of Diplomacy is complicated when there's secret drama.
  • Greg said:

Holy shit, scheduling a game of Diplomacy is complicated when there's secret drama.

A meta game of scheduling a game of diplomacy? Damn son.

• Neito said:

Waterdeep is fun, but dries out easily. Pick up the expansions.

I thought there was just the one. Skullport or something?

I rather enjoy Waterdeep, because it's streamlined worker placement. But yeah, it definitely needs refreshing after several plays.

Yeah, there is one for now, but it has 2 expansions in it, from what the description said. I assume it is similar to Kingsburg in being a modular expansion.

• With family and friends gathering who don't often get together all year, does anybody struggle with getting board games going or do you even try?

Most of the people milling about at this time of the year are either sectioned off watching TV shows or using the PC for games and social media.

They all think that games are Monopoly or Scrabble etc. any tips?
  • sK0pe said:

With family and friends gathering who don't often get together all year, does anybody struggle with getting board games going or do you even try?

Most of the people milling about at this time of the year are either sectioned off watching TV shows or using the PC for games and social media.

Jungle Speed, Channel A, Blokus, Jamaica, Languini, Bonanza are the go to's for that scenario.
  • This year at Thankgiving with my inlaws we played Parade and Qwarkle. Past years, we've played Power Grid and Settlers. Know your audience.
  • Coldguy said:

sK0pe said:

With family and friends gathering who don't often get together all year, does anybody struggle with getting board games going or do you even try?

Jungle Speed, Channel A, Blokus, Jamaica, Languini, Bonanza are the go to's for that scenario.
    Channel A could backfire pretty badly. Like Cremlian said, know your audience. I've played Dominion and Settlers with my mom's family. If I had to get my dad's family to play a game, it'd probably be CAH.
  • If you have people you are close to, such as family and friends you would see around the holidays, there is actually a fairly amusing Apples to Apples knockoff called Truth Be Told. The acting judge for the round asks a personal question about themself, and everyone answers with a little whiteboard. The answers are handed in, randomized, and everyone tries to guess which one the judge will pick as the best answer. Predict the judge's action and you get points. Be the person who originally wrote that answer for bonus points. This works well if you have a family that can take jabs at each other w/ a good sense of humor.
  • Wait, Wits and Wagers is another good one.
  • sK0pe said:

Tsuro and Apples to Apples make good "Normie" games. Also, Scrabble is a game. If they like Scrabble, Bananagrams is cheap and fun.

• And of course Spot It to keep the kids engaged.

I find Formula D is always a big hit with the 10 year old crowd, and their parents LOVE playing Ticket to Ride either in teams with the younger kids or against the slightly older ones; they consider it a great geography teaching tool.
  • Is Formula D fun with the complex rules? I've only played e-z mode annnd its not so much good.
  • I've really only played easy mode myself - mainly because most people that I play with tend to get everything they want out of the game in the first basic playthrough or two, and don't want to commit to learning the more complex ruleset.

As such, I tend to use it as a gateway game, or to get younger gamers involved because they like cars and rolling big numbers on funky dice.
  • johndis said:

Is Formula D fun with the complex rules? I've only played e-z mode annnd its not so much good.

No.

It might be fun if either everybody knows the rules fully, or one person knows the rules in a godlike fashion and basically runs the game for everyone else.

It adds too much complexity without much reward, and slows the game down in crippling fashion.
  • I want complex Formula D run by a computer.
  • Apreche said:

I want complex Formula D run by a computer.

Forza.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

I want complex Formula D run by a computer.

Forza.

Turn based Forza.

• There's some copy cat ios version called Racer Feud, like basically the same with just enough non rules stuff changed for Asmodee to be ok with it. But anyway its really poorly made, tho I havent tried it out in a while so maybe stuff has been fixed up.
  • Asmodee was probably not cool with it. It doesn't matter. Copyright protections do not extend to game mechanics or mechanical rules of games: only to the specific IP of the written words, images, and pieces themselves as unique works.

I could release the exact same game as Carcassonne just by writing my own mechanically-equivalent rules and redesigning the tile art.
  • Rym said:

Asmodee was probably not cool with it. It doesn't matter. Copyright protections do not extend to game mechanics or mechanical rules of games: only to the specific IP of the written words, images, and pieces themselves as unique works.

I could release the exact same game as Carcassonne just by writing my own mechanically-equivalent rules and redesigning the tile art.

It's not French castles and roads. They're um... power lines and houses.
  • Yeah, they made them change the name from Formula Feud + make it muscle cars instead of Formula 1. I think Asmodee said they would never do an iOS version of Formula D, which is why the people wound up making it if I remember right!
  • Quirkle went well with everyone (I guess everyone understood the Scrabble like nature of it plus the logos worked well with all age groups). The Quirkle blocking being discovered was hilariously organic.

Hanabi was a big hit (after an introductory game) with the thinkers of the group so we shed a fair few people for it and I think some of them are going to go and buy it later.

I tried Modern Art but people didn't seem to go for it except my Dad and my brother who do a lot of investments and are into the stock market.

Thanks for the different options I'll have a look for Wits and Wagers, Truth be Told, Banangrams and Apples to Apples.
  • Checking out the Keyflower expansion toinght, picking up Caverna: The Cave Farmers, and putting Lords of Vegas: UP! on preorder.
  • For worker placement/job placement games, do you prefer a growing field, like Agricola and Lords of Waterdeep? Or random allowance of placement like Kingsburg or Alien Frontiers? Or battling for control with simultaneous placement, like Pirate's Cove? I am trying to shift one of my games into the worker placement genre and trying to get feedback.
  • My copy of Caverna just arrived in the mail.

such game

so heavy

wow

much fun

To answer your question, Jeremy, I like them all. It just has to gel and be cohesive.
  • My copy of Ogre came in. Funny thing is my kid saw the box arrive and assumed I purchased a new gaming rig!

My copy came with a bunch of stuff outside of the box. Is this normal retail or did I manage to snag a kickstarter copy?
  • HMTKSteve said:

My copy of Ogre came in. Funny thing is my kid saw the box arrive and assumed I purchased a new gaming rig!

My copy came with a bunch of stuff outside of the box. Is this normal retail or did I manage to snag a kickstarter copy?

That's normal they can't fit them inside the box when shipping.
  • I tracked down a few unboxing videos to clarify which copy I got. No kickstarter sticker on the front either.

I was going through their kickstarter updates and was surprised to see some people requested refunds because the game took so long? SJ Games is not some fly by night.

I also found my old pocket editions of Ogre and Car Wars in my closet. I love those old black plastic pocket editions.

Now I have to find someone who wants to play the game.
  • I was thinking about maybe trying out a Simultaneous Placement with Bidding to resolve disputes. I would use about 8-10 locations (maybe more), so there wouldn't be a way to get shut out completely. I may even add an additional location or two that comes into the game later on as a more lucrative option to encourage competition. Instead of using a wheel to choose a location (like Pirate's Cove does), I think giving each player a deck of cards with the locations on them would work well.