This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Which is why you play a game of being That Guy to that guy. Bonus points for precision strikes of That Guy.
  • I think he's mad enough to say that he doesn't want to play the game ever again even though he was enjoying himself for the majority of the 4 hours.

Regardless if you have 6 people who know how to play it's literally the card game, social interactions and board strategy that unfolds and can be played in 1 - 2 hours. However if you need to teach more than 2 people it instantly increases in length significantly.

Has anyone played the Battlestar Galactica game, if so, thoughts?
  • Cremlian said:

man, I need to play Game of Thrones, also that guy seems like a "that guy"

It has got to be very high up on the list of "most improved games" after going from 1st edition to 2nd edition. It is very much the thinking man's war game! Love it.

• sK0pe said:

I've played it a couple of times. It's a co-op game with a traitor made by the people who made Shadows of Camelot. It can be very hard to win, even when the traitor isn't actively trying to screw you over.

The consensus seems to be that the game is best when you use large chunks of the Pegasus Expansion while ignoring poritions of the New Caprica Expansion.

It's very much a 6-8 player, this is your whole evening type game. It's not something I'd want to play all the time or actually own, but at the same time it's not a game I'd say no to.

It's not a game that's coasting on the fact that it's a licensed property, but at the same time fans of BSG will probably get more enjoyment out of the game.
  • I don't know how this happened but got to play another game of "Game of Thrones".

Went as Greyjoys, made an alliance with the Lannisters, took over the north and took Winterfell by myself. Turned around and back stabbed the Lannisters as I had sea dominance and more mobility, won game.

Probably lucky that the Lannister player didn't go aggressive on me but I would have been able to kill him earlier and I would have had to build up units to take the North at a later point.

It feels so different playing as the different families, not needing to care about throne dominance but needing to buy into King's Court to be even more aggressive feels so different and intense pressure from turn one, while being poor yet extremely strong feels very different but is cool.

The social game is so important especially when you start playing this game against the same players multiple times as you know what to expect and know how to pressure.
    Apreche said:
    Man this looks really good but I don't know enough about board games. Experienced people please tell me if this is worth buying as soon as possible or not.
    Raithnor said:

sK0pe said:

I've played it a couple of times. It's a co-op game with a traitor made by the people who made Shadows of Camelot. It can be very hard to win, even when the traitor isn't actively trying to screw you over.

The consensus seems to be that the game is best when you use large chunks of the Pegasus Expansion while ignoring poritions of the New Caprica Expansion.

It's very much a 6-8 player, this is your whole evening type game. It's not something I'd want to play all the time or actually own, but at the same time it's not a game I'd say no to.

It's not a game that's coasting on the fact that it's a licensed property, but at the same time fans of BSG will probably get more enjoyment out of the game.
    Cool, thanks, doesn't sound like my jam.
  • The most interesting part of that X-Com game is that the different players have entirely different roles. Hopefully it's done well.
  • pence said:

The most interesting part of that X-Com game is that the different players have entirely different roles. Hopefully it's done well.

Different players have different roles, just like Pandemic. The only thing preventing quarterbacking is the real-time nature, a-la Space Alert.
  • The "solve co-op quarterbacking through real-time play" was also recently put into use in the Space Cadets series.
  • Damn I just read the description, it's just pandemic, way to mess up a licensed property.
  • You are all missing a big difference between XCOM and Pandemic. Too quick to jump on the negative bus.

Pandemic's roles are all minor twists on the same core set of mechanics. XCOM's role are completely asymmetrical.
  • I finally played Tigris & Euphrates two weeks ago, and now a lot of old games keep getting attention... specifically Dungeon Lords and Dominion.

Dungeon Lords is still a son of a bitch - I thought I had it figured out last month after winning several games, but I scored abysmally last week, not even killing the first year's adventuring party.

Dominion: Alchemy made a meh first impression. Dominion: Cornucopia made a good first impression. Now the cards go into the big box with the rest of them.

Caverna and Terra Mystica are still great. Transporting the former to PAX could force me to check a bag for the first time in years.
  • I got roped into playing some demo games today.

The first was a card battle game called Fisticuffs. It was the Ameritrashiest. The premise is two or more people start with 20 life and each turn they play a card to either do damage, gain a buff, or recover damage, then draw a card. Each damage card has a different attack value, but there is literally no reason to ever not deal the most damage. The only serious decision the game has is to vote for who loses first.

The second one was boardcraft. It's a more random version of Krosmaster with a modular field. The only difference is that they are trying to promote the general public to use 3d printing and I know the creator.
    The biggest issue is how VP are gained through secret quests that sometimes boil down to waiting for another player to do a specific thing to you on a specific tile. It was a fantastic disaster when he tried using open information quests. Overall the game was average, but my view is stilted slightly positive just because I beat the creator three times in a row, once in four turns while making him skip two of his turns.
  • Sounds like the creator of Fisticuffs needs to take a look at 7 card slugfest. The idea has been done (and better).
  • When I asked him what other games he played, the most complex things he mentioned were Sentinels and Magical Athlete.
    My favorite part was how when I mentioned what he could do to add more direct player control to the game, he kept mentioning ideas that would make the game more random.
  • Has anyone played Impulse yet? It's a new card game by the guy who designed Glory to Rome.
  • Friend of mine has those and they are awesome. Little rich for my blood though.
  • I think $27 for a set of nine isn't too bad. I just don't play enough eclipse to really need them.
  • edited August 2014

Has anyone played Impulse yet? It's a new card game by the guy who designed Glory to Rome.

Nope but the basic description seems very interesting as does the tile positioning mechanic.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Found a Barnes & Nobles selling board games for 70% off. Managed to get a copy of Puerto Rico for $8 with another 20% discount.
  • I may need to visit my local store to see if they have anything new in the discount area since a couple weeks ago.
  • They shouldn't. The stock for the clearance section is set on week 1, and it's the same until they drop all the way to $2, and eventually see the dumpster. Expect a brand new clearance section in ~2 months when it starts back at 50%. I don't know the exact date, but the current clearance should've been down to $2 per item by now. A close friend of mine is a B&N manager so I know way too much about this crap, and I've put it to very good use over the years.
  • DM me when you find out, homeslice. Hook a sister up. ☆〜(ゝ。∂)
  • Yspahan surprised me. Fun little 30 minute Euro - the box says 60, but we tore through two games in that time. Now I feel like discovering all the forgotten eurogames that live above the top 100 on BGG.

Euphoria REALLY surprised me. I finally found a dice + worker placement game that I like, plays fast, and allows you to draft nearly every element of the game during setup. We also played it twice.
  • Yeah. Euphoria is a solid game. It's what Ground Floor and Viva Java should have been. My friend got the game with the special bonus tokens. They are HIGH QUALITY. I bought the game and will be bringing it to PAX. I did back their separate Kickstarter that sells various pieces to replace in your board games. Too bad it won't be available until the end of the year.

The theme of Euphoria with the game play is pretty cool as well.

Tonight I also played Splendor. Pretty good, but the strategy is simple. Just figure out how to mix/max your purchases of gems to get higher point value cards to get the goals.
  • Dromaro said:

by the lack of board game discussion. We should fix this.

What mechanics do you guys enjoy most?

I like mechanics which promote conflict between multiple players without resulting in kingmaking or leader-bashing.
    Dromaro said:

What was your first Euro board game exposure?

My first Euro was Puerto Rico but afterwards, I moved to Ameritrash and Wargames.

• Played Splendor this weekend. It's pretty light and fun with a fair amount of thinking ahead.
    We also got Euphoria over the weekend. I haven't played it yet, but Ro enjoyed it enough to want to buy it (even though we have so many games).
    Also, my copy of King's Forge came in last week. I played this game when it was in prototype phase and knew I wanted to Kickstart it once it went online. It has some resource gathering and worker placement/drafting mechanics, with a bit of randomness (dice rolling) thrown into the mix.
  • Splendor's a fine game. Euphoria's an every-night game for me right now - I like drafting starting recruits and markets.
  • I wanted to show him Euphoria today, but he had a stupid prior engagement with going to a friend's monthly M:TG draft.