This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Anytime. You guys aren't so far away that I would balk at driving out for a solid day of euro games. Just a matter of schedule. If you don't mind keeping someone one the invite list and having them only show up once every blue moon, then by all means let me know next time you're getting together.
  • pence said:

Rym or Scott: if you're at ScoJo's in December... we're playing Phoenicia, or Navegador, or both. I know you enough to recommend them, now. Also that Hansa Teutonica expansion.

Navegador is one of my favorite games. Love me some Rondels!

Has there been any word about the reprint of Hansa Teutonica and its expansions coming over to the US? I still need to get the first expansion, and now that there's a second one, I'm hopefull that they'll reprint the first.
  • So Shadow Hunters still comes up a lot in my social gaming circle. I've always wondered about "fixing" a couple things I wasn't super thrilled with. Some of them are super small house rules (rolling the space you are on is treated as a 7) and some of it is just preferences for or against some characters abilities (my group hates bob, loves bryan). Also possibly adding more/different area cards. Some of the translations on some of the cards also bug me slightly, and some specific rules about when you can reveal due to the tiny problem created by a couple awkward timing issues.

Anyway, wrote up a re-skin I'll print out and test here shortly. I expect there to be problems. Here are the big experimental pieces (prototype name is Agents and Aliens, so slightly different theme):

Would you mind if I created a copy to play with my gaming group? I'll give you credit, of course.

• edited November 2014
    No problems. I expect something to be off somehow, I haven't gotten to test anything myself.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I'll work on it and try to get some play time in soon, I am getting together with friends who like Shadow Hunters on the 15th of this month, so if I can get something put together by then, I can give you some feedback soon.
  • I am picking up my copy of King of New York this weekend and will be playing with some friends and will let you guys know what I think of it. I will also be introducing Pandante to them as well. Floosh!
  • Neocloud said:

I am picking up my copy of King of New York this weekend and will be playing with some friends and will let you guys know what I think of it. I will also be introducing Pandante to them as well. Floosh!

Man that deluxe pack actually looks great, too bad it's sold out in Australia and Sirlin only ships to the US, I'll just get the regular version.
  • Looping Louie is hugely popular! I first realized this from BGG Con reports. Seems like it gets a ton of playtime. Cult classic, if you would.

It's actually a really fun game. I picked up a copy on Toys R Us clearance for $2 and it was missing the center piece. Still bummed about it.
  • The pop up pirate is superior to Loopin' Louie for hints like drinking games. If you get into it, the tension is similar to Jenga but based on luck rather than skill.
  • I am actually not familiar with this Pop-up Pirate you speak of. Gonna have to give it a look. I always appreciated the skill aspect of Louie. Hitting that perfectly-timed unblockable bounce onto an opponent feels SO GOOD.
  • Matt said:

I am actually not familiar with this Pop-up Pirate you speak of. Gonna have to give it a look. I always appreciated the skill aspect of Louie. Hitting that perfectly-timed unblockable bounce onto an opponent feels SO GOOD.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9004/pop-pirate

It's a plastic toy. There is a pirate inside. When you set the toy up, it picks one of the holes in the barrel to be "the bad one." Each player takes turns putting swords into the holes in the barrel. If you put the sword into the bad hole, the pirate pops up, indicating that you are fail.

It's a great random mechanism for selecting one person from a group of people. Works with any number of people as long as there are more holes in the barrel than there are people.
  • According to its BGG forums, the Pop-up Pirate is available as WiiWare. Only $5!
  • Oh OK. So yeah. Definitely a drinking game aid. Sounds like Crocodile Dentist.
  • edited November 2014
    Matt said:

Oh OK. So yeah. Definitely a drinking game aid. Sounds like Crocodile Dentist.

Yes, it is fundamentally the same as crocodile dentist, only way better because pirates and swords. Also, the crocodile dentist bites all players BUT one. The pop-up pirate just pops once.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Wikipedia said:

The travel version of Crocodile Dentist featured slightly different gameplay, where instead of pulling the teeth out of the crocodile's mouth the players had to push the crocodile's teeth down into its mouth.

Body horror Crocodile Dentist.
  • I picked up King of New York last night, and looked at it (and will be playing it later on. It looks pretty awesome. Same core of King of Tokyo (You are a monster, you battle it out, 20 VP or last monster standing) but it adds the boroughs of New York as areas you can be in (though only Manhattan acts like Tokyo did in the first game). There are also buildings you can knock down and human units to stomp out. The 1,2,3 on the dice are gone and instead are replaced with a star, a building and an "ouch" symbol that correspond with VP, building destruction and human attacks respectively. I am looking forward to trying it out.

While in the game store, we also saw, and purchased, the Babel expansion for 7 Wonders. It looks like it adds a lot of fun to the game. It is actually 2 expansions in the box, and both look to add some interesting twists to the game play and strategy.
  • Friends came over for Mario Kart and board games last night. I finally learned Kingdom Builder, and I liked it. This is definitely a quick and simple abstract, moreso than its big box size and famous designer name would lend you to assume, but that doesn't mean it's bad!
  • With Daybreak, I doubled the number of roles I have for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and most of them make things a bit easier for the wolves. Some of them give the wolves more information (Mystic Wolf - it's a wolf who is also a seer)... some of them expand the possibility space (Paranormal Investigator looks at two other players' roles, but turns into a wolf if he gets 'bit'... Village Idiot rotates everyone's cards one seat to the left or right. Or just leaves them in place.)

For the unfamiliar, this is a werewolf variant where the town only gets one chance to kill a wolf. Three rules in particular make it work:
    1. There are roles that can switch people's cards during the night.
    2. You are not allowed to look at your card after you wake up. You might have been a wolf when you went to sleep, but not anymore.
    3. You play with more roles than players. There could be 2, 1, or 0 wolves.
  • Plus my tanner plan worked swimmingly when for somoe reason in a game that allows you to change cards my was not touched.
  • edited November 2014
    Jeremy played Sherriff of Nottingham yesterday. My friends have high praise of it. It looks/sounds like a fun. Whole lot of lying going on there. Jeremy describes it with similar elements of Bohnanza and Pandante. I'm sold. It will be brought to PAX South.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Rochelle said:

Jeremy played Sherriff of Nottingham yesterday. My friends have high praise of it. It looks/sounds like a fun. Whole lot of lying going on there. Jeremy describes it with similar elements of Bohnanza and Pandante. I'm sold. It will be brought to PAX South.

I decided to buy it after only a few rounds. There is a lot of bluffing and bribing going on, and I think there is enough depth to the strategy (like Bohnanza) to keep it fun.
  • Z-Man just uploaded this:

• Z-Man is a whole 'nother world since they got bought by Filosophia and aren't a 1-man show anymore. Love it.
  • The thread about Eclipse and its longevity set me thinking about games I've played 50+ times. Mostly a list of card games, mostly 2p card games, and also Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico
    Carcassonne
    7 Wonders
    Android: Netrunner
    Race for the Galaxy
    Dominion
    Blue Moon
    Neuroshima Hex
    Innovation
  • pence said:

With Daybreak, I doubled the number of roles I have for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and most of them make things a bit easier for the wolves. Some of them give the wolves more information (Mystic Wolf - it's a wolf who is also a seer)... some of them expand the possibility space (Paranormal Investigator looks at two other players' roles, but turns into a wolf if he gets 'bit'... Village Idiot rotates everyone's cards one seat to the left or right. Or just leaves them in place.)

For the unfamiliar, this is a werewolf variant where the town only gets one chance to kill a wolf. Three rules in particular make it work:

1. There are roles that can switch people's cards during the night.
    2. You are not allowed to look at your card after you wake up. You might have been a wolf when you went to sleep, but not anymore.
    3. You play with more roles than players. There could be 2, 1, or 0 wolves.
    I played this for the first time over the weekend, and I'm glad to see my Mafia/Werewolf skills totally cross over into this perfectly. I had a few glorious moments and the best part is you don't get penalized for being a loud mouth like in the normal game.
  • pence said:

The thread about Eclipse and its longevity set me thinking about games I've played 50+ times. Mostly a list of card games, mostly 2p card games, and also Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico
    Carcassonne
    7 Wonders
    Android: Netrunner
    Race for the Galaxy
    Dominion
    Blue Moon
    Neuroshima Hex
    Innovation

I've probably only played 7 Wonders, Settlers, Race for the Galaxy and Glory to Rome over 20 times.
  • Everyone claims roles because there's no night kill. It's great.
  • I don't think I can name many.

Vanilla Power Grid.
    Eclipse with Expansion.
    45 games of Risk Legacy + all my previous risk experience probably counts?
    Dominion (does it even count if you havn't played 1000+ games?) I havn't even touched the last two or three expansions.
    Variations of werewolf/mafia?