This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Eurogamers have a much larger, more active community, in the sense that there are more meetups, clubs, etc... People join these communities and attend these events to play with strangers and find people who may be willing to play their more niche games.

It's easy to have a first-time casual game of, say, Puerto Rico, at one of these events, and then later meet up with a few people from them to play Eclipse.
  • Rym said:

Eurogamers have a much larger, more active community, in the sense that there are more meetups, clubs, etc... People join these communities and attend these events to play with strangers and find people who may be willing to play their more niche games.

It's easy to have a first-time casual game of, say, Puerto Rico, at one of these events, and then later meet up with a few people from them to play Eclipse.

Ah, I see. The problem is, after playing games where I can actually blow stuff up or kill stuff, I find it difficult to play tabletop games with little violence. I'm always up for a game of Dominion or Race though.
  • Let me just make sure this is clear: you don't enjoy the less violent games, with the lack of violence being your primary reason for lack of enjoyment?
  • Matt said:

Let me just make sure this is clear: you don't enjoy the less violent games, with the lack of violence being your primary reason for lack of enjoyment?

I guess you could say that. I have played my fair share of Caylus, Puerto Rico, Agricola, and the like but over the years, I found myself leaning more towards combat-driven games like Tash-Kalar, Runewars, Fire in the Lake, Titan, and even the Fight Dice System.
  • Can't wait to see what happens when of the actors exclaims, "I've got wood for sheep!"
  • At least this will settle the feud of road vs military. Meanwhile, someone prepares a sinister and ineffective plot while holding seven sheep.
  • I wonder if it will be based on the awful Settlers of Catan novel.

Those quotes from the producer were hard to read. Congrats on paying for the development rights. Good luck getting a studio to option it.
  • A Settlers of Catan TV show; I honestly don't know what to feel or to say about it.
  • Jeremy and I played Castle Dice over the weekend. It's a decent light worker placement dice drafting game. Worth playing a few times, imo.

What had me all about it was the farm animal art:

Dat cow art. So chill.

• I got my second game of Aquasphere in. I don't know if I just missed a bunch of rules because of circumstances but I enjoyed it with proper understanding of all the rules.

I do enjoy the fact that while there are so many paths laid out before you, you can only execute on one or two really well. It comes down to efficiency with other players getting in the way.

That said, seeing that the guy with the Octopod killing upgrade had no time, I spent round three grabbing an upgrade to squid killing, grabbing two crystals, and then mashing three groups of three Octopods for 18 points.

That good turn translated in a 7 point win. I also lucked out getting a good tech card on the final turn for 5 clutch points.

On a whole, Feld does it again. I recommend Aquasphere highly.
  • I brought Tokaido to a family get together.
    Dad was a bit tipsy after have a glass of whisky a few beers yet somehow was winning in the first 2 days due to an early shop but ended up losing when Mum used the strategy of - not winning? make others lose.
    My brother went too hard on his character role and prioritised hot springs over shrines and encounters (he got 4 monkey cards in a row though so I can't fault him for a lack of trying).

My Mum had the end game goals planned out pretty well and seems to be really good at the German style board games. She does know how to play Civilization which may have assisted with learning how to plan your game out and have contingency plans ready. It's not a real test but she wants to play something more complex so I'll take 7 Wonders / Pandante / Wizard over next time.

I forgot how awesome the artwork is in Tokaido, pretty fun for an introductory positional game. I'm 100% sure if we played something like monopoly we would have had a meltdown instead of fun.
  • https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-light-and-dark

Presented without (much) comment, because I don't really know what to say about it. Many of the 2.0 changes are... uninspiring. I'm onboard if it gets more people excited about Pandante, though.

Of course the floosh will go on.
  • pence said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-light-and-dark

Presented without (much) comment, because I don't really know what to say about it. Many of the 2.0 changes are... uninspiring. I'm onboard if it gets more people excited about Pandante, though.

Of course the floosh will go on.

Those rule changes are all actually really good. Might bring Pandante almost up to wizard level.
  • Have not played Pandante at all, but I'm having a game night tonight. We're gonna bust out the $400 edition of Small World, but maybe Pandante would make a good appetizer (I bought the deluxe edition at PAX). I'll read the original rules and the update, but likely jump in at 2.0.

I have faith in Sirlin, although his continued tweaking of games is making me hesitant to ever buy a first edition from him again. I don't want that to sound like I'm discouraging someone from continuing to fix and upgrade their design though.
  • Most of the changes don't make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, but decoupling abilities from suits does... and only paying one player on a successful challenge strikes me as ridiculous. Still, going to give it the benefit of the doubt and play it.
  • edited March 2015
    A couple of people mentioned Carl Chudyk's Impulse back in August. I'm thinking about picking it up because it sounds interesting, but I've never played it. How is it? I like the idea of a quick-to-play 4X game that can actually evoke the 4X feel.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Impulse is very Chudyk. I like it, maybe not as much as Innovation. It's been hard to find a group to play with when Glory to Rome and Innovation are right there on the shelf.

It feels more like a 4X-flavored Chudyk game than a quick-to-play 4X game.
  • Hm. I'm not a big fan of Innovation; it's not bad, per se, but I find it to be weak.

Would you put Impulse above or below Glory to Rome, and why?

I'm cool with a 4X flavored Chudyk. I do enjoy the Chudyk thing, in general.
  • I need more play out of the Pandante I already have, so I'll probably skip this one. I can always pick it up later.
  • edited March 2015
    Freaking Sirlin games finally adds international shipping after I've already acquired the base game. At one point I was going to get the deluxe version but it was sold out.

I guess I'll get this, the changes seem worthwhile to introduce new players.

Hm. I'm not a big fan of Innovation; it's not bad, per se, but I find it to be weak.

Would you put Impulse above or below Glory to Rome, and why?

I'm cool with a 4X flavored Chudyk. I do enjoy the Chudyk thing, in general.

I only played it once at PAX Aus, it was very reminiscent of Glory to Rome, I couldn't say whether it was better or worse from one game.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I thought they were both good games but that Glory to Rome was better. I eventually traded away my copy of Innovation due to it not getting enough play, but I still thinks it's a pretty neat game.

Speaking of which, I've been DMing with Chris from Asmadi. He's describing this new Chudyk game as "grandchild of Glory to Rome" (assuming Uchronia is the child). He showed me a card and it def looks note GtR than Uchronia.
  • Bezier Games is running a preorder special for games that I actually want: http://beziergames.com/collections/all-games/products/2105-preorder-special

Suburbia Expansion number two, Mad King Ludwig Expansion number one, and To Court the King v2.0.
  • Matt said:

I thought they were both good games but that Glory to Rome was better. I eventually traded away my copy of Innovation due to it not getting enough play, but I still thinks it's a pretty neat game.

Speaking of which, I've been DMing with Chris from Asmadi. He's describing this new Chudyk game as "grandchild of Glory to Rome" (assuming Uchronia is the child). He showed me a card and it def looks note GtR than Uchronia.

Any experience with Impulse?

Also, we played Red7 (I bought it at Genericon because it was like 10 bucks). Definitely a worthwhile warmup/filler game. More interesting than Fluxx for sure.

• My group and I are big fans of To Court The King as a nice filler game. For $60? Too steep, even with all the nice accoutrements.
  • More interesting than Fluxx for sure.

What isn't?

• edited March 2015
    Ikatono said:

More interesting than Fluxx for sure.

What isn't?

Tic-Tac-Toe
    Munchkin

Really, I mentioned Fluxx because the game has a similar "change the rules to win" mechanic, so it'll seem similar in that regard.

Unlike Fluxx, Red7 is a pretty interesting and compelling game.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Also, we played Red7 (I bought it at Genericon because it was like 10 bucks). Definitely a worthwhile warmup/filler game. More interesting than Fluxx for sure.

Pete, I love you because your assessment is exactly what we said in the show we put up today.

• Yeah, it is clearly the love child of "the Glory to Rome guy" and "the We Didn't Playtest This At All guy"
  • I think on the show we put it in the same play category as "No Thanks." It's a quick to teach fast game to play before real games or at restaurants.