This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited March 2015
    On Pi Day I got a chance to play a one lap road race with the new Formula D set. We used the basic rules (damage pool) as most of the players were casual gamers.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I've found that the advanced rules in Formula D are overcomplicated and actually add little to the game. They work only if everyone knows them very well.
  • Rym said:

I've found that the advanced rules in Formula D are overcomplicated and actually add little to the game. They work only if everyone knows them very well.

• I have also found that a one lap race leads to everyone blowing through corners and ending the race with less than five points left on their cars.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I have also found that a one lap race leads to everyone blowing through corners and ending the race with less than five points left on their cars.

"The perfect race car crosses the finish line in first place and then falls to pieces.”
    -Ferdinand Porsche
  • The only racing game you ever need to play: Pitchcar
  • Pitchcar takes up far too much space to play.
  • I have pitchcar mini.
  • I keep forgetting that I should just own pitchcar.
  • I'm still waiting for the reprint of the disc-flicking dungeon crawl, Catacombs:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/57390/catacombs
  • pence said:

I'm still waiting for the reprint of the disc-flicking dungeon crawl, Catacombs:

At PAX East there was a booth showing off a digital tablet version of basically the same exact game. Was so obviously a direct rip-off, and it was not called Catacombs. Was very surprised to see that.
  • pence said:

I'm still waiting for the reprint of the disc-flicking dungeon crawl, Catacombs:

They Kickstarted a second edition of this with updated, more "cartoony," illustrations that looks gorgeous. I can't wait to get it. The last update said that they were waiting for the German language version of the manual to be ready for print at the end of March, before they started mass production of the manuals and cardboard elements. There's still no ETA, but I wouldn't expect it to ship to backers before the summer, if not later. Who knows when it will be available at retail.

• Apreche said:

At PAX East there was a booth showing off a digital tablet version of basically the same exact game. Was so obviously a direct rip-off, and it was not called Catacombs. Was very surprised to see that.

Wow, I missed that. As long as they took inspiration from the concept and put their own spin on it, that's pretty cool (in theory). Still, not as cool as flicking physical fireballs around.
  • 'Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game' from @catalystgamelab coming Summer 2015 http://t.co/Ulj1Odj71b
  • The Duke has one stupid rule about not being allowed to look at the other side of players' pieces in play. That just forces a ton of memorization and minimizes the real strategic element.
  • Rym said:

The Duke has one stupid rule about not being allowed to look at the other side of players' pieces in play. That just forces a ton of memorization and minimizes the real strategic element.

I've always ignored that rule, as doing so makes the Duke a perfectly fine 2 player game.
  • Mark your calendars now...

• Less than 1.5 playtest feedback reports completed per attendee? That sounds awfully weak.
  • Dromaro said:
    Hm. Interesting-sounding game. Definitely dig the design elements as well.

Never played The Duke. Sounds neat.

• Dromaro said:

Wow, TIL Pete has never Duked.
  • Matt said:

Less than 1.5 playtest feedback reports completed per attendee? That sounds awfully weak.

Well the feedback forms they mentioned were the official ones to get enterted into a raffle. Most of the feeback was given during post game talks, I recall one feedback session being almost as long as the game that was being played. So the number seems low but at that point it was reduncdency from those talks.
  • edited March 2015
    Apreche said:

Dromaro said:

Wow, TIL Pete has never Duked.
    Yeah, two-player games don't see as much love 'round these parts. But I do like having 'em around for those times when they really hit the spot.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Whoah. David Sirlin started a podcast about game design. I would have never known this, but I am about to interview him about Pandante and Flash Duel, so I was doing a bit of poking around.
  • Matt said:

Whoah. David Sirlin started a podcast about game design. I would have never known this, but I am about to interview him about Pandante and Flash Duel, so I was doing a bit of poking around.

Let's see if he understands how international shipping works.
    Seriously USD$35 for shipping a Pandante expansion when Amazon can send the original for USD$5 is insane.

• I was just given a secondhand copy of Feudal. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Cursory evaluation makes it look mostly like 2-6 player chess with some terrain to deal with.
  • Apreche said:

pence said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante-light-and-dark

Presented without (much) comment, because I don't really know what to say about it. Many of the 2.0 changes are... uninspiring. I'm onboard if it gets more people excited about Pandante, though.

Of course the floosh will go on.

Those rule changes are all actually really good. Might bring Pandante almost up to wizard level.
    Having not played Pandante at all yet, but just finally reading the rules today, I like all of the changes here, with the exception of mandatory breakfast. The idea of carrying your hand over to the next turn sounded like an interesting twist on poker. Did this not wind up happening very often, and just overcomplicated things? I figured that was why challenging on powers usage got axed.

• One side-effect of mandatory breakfast is that it makes the pot bigger, which makes winning more exciting in the absence of big swings from failed challenges. I suspect more people will like the new rules, and I'll be one of those curmudgeons that will play them, but complain every time. :P