This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

Comments

• "Knob". What does it mean?
    (-_-)... ... ...
  • Finally finished Lord of Chaos. That only took... six months? Not sure whether to just go onto the next one or read something else.
    (-_-)... ... ...
    I truly and honestly don't know. Is that a bad thing?
    (-_-)... ... ...
    (-_-)... ... ...
  • edited November 2010
    obvious.png
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    Seriously, couldn't somebody please give me a straight answer? I'm not in the mood for having my chain yanked today.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Seriously, couldn't somebody please give me a straight answer? I'm not in the mood for having my chain yanked today.
    Knob = wang.
  • I know what a doorknob is! Why is it used in that context?
  • Seriously, couldn't somebody please give me a straight answer? I'm not in the mood for having my chain yanked today.
    Knob = wang.
    Hmm. That's a interesting euphemism. Strange, but interesting.
    Knob = wang.
    It's better than "Star Rod."
    Knob = wang.
    It's better than "Star Rod."
    That sounds like the kind of 5th grade joke you would make while playing D&D; and you find a rod.
  • That sounds like the kind of 5th grade joke you would make while playing Kirby.
    FTFY
  • That sounds like the kind of 5th grade joke you would make while playingKirby.
    FTFY
    Either or.
  • Did it occur to you to try to use Google? It's the first thing that pops up from Urban Dictionary.
  • Yes, Google is your friend.
    *facepalm*
  • edited November 2010
    That's a interesting euphemism. Strange, but interesting.
    I will now use "Horn of Gondor" as a penis euphemism whenever possible.

Proper usage: "Before setting out on a journey, the Horn of Gondor must be blown."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    Did it occur to you to try to use Google? It's the first thing that pops up from Urban Dictionary.
    No not really. I usually default to asking people first (virtually or otherwise) before using technology for a simple question or problem.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Did it occur to you to try to use Google? It's the first thing that pops up from Urban Dictionary.
    No not really. I usually default to asking people first (virtually or otherwise) before using technology for a simple question or problem.
    So.... you're lazy?
  • edited November 2010
    For being a member of this forum for decent amount of time, you know that most people here implore others to research simple queries on Google before asking on them on the forums.

You ask a simple question that can easily be answered with technology that is at your fingertips, then you get mocked a bit. Don't get all pissy (FB) because you were made to look silly.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Finished Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, and I am currently reading Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber.
  • Shoplifting From American Apparel by Tao Lin is a novella about shoplifting and vague relationships.
  • Finished up The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest last night. It wasn't as slow as I thought it would be once I got into the meat of the book. The post-climax wrap-up and denouement did seem to drag a bit, and there was still quite a bit of extraneous exposition throughout the whole book, but it was a decent read. If you can overlook some of the more glaring tech gaffes (which basically amount to hacking the Gibson with an iPod) the rest of the story was pretty good. I'd still only recommend the series if someone was looking for some summer reading material, but it didn't turn out to be as much of a chore to read as I thought it would be.

Up Next: Homecoming: Earth by Orson Scott Card. Picked it up for 50 cents at a secondhand store, so I figure it's worth at least that much reading time. ;-D
  • No not really. I usually default to asking people first (virtually or otherwise) before using technology for a simple question or problem.
    Geo, you're an idiot.
  • Finished Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
    I've got all the Jordan novels but I've not ventured into the Sanderson ones. I'd be interested in hearing your review of them.
  • I'm about half way through Hunger Games. It's really good so far!
  • I'm about half way through Hunger Games. It's really good so far!
    Ahh, my friend told me that was really good. I should czech it out.
  • I've just completed The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell, a book about Jesuits in space. Parts of it were good - the human drama was pretty well-done if perhaps a little melodramatic - and parts of it were frustratingly bad, notably the unimaginatively almost-human aliens. It was a heavy-handed, unsubtle allegory about past colonialism and missionaries. Not a bad read, but not a favorite either.
  • The third draft of my friend's horror novel. I read his sci-fi novel last year, which I liked, but so far the writing in this new one is obviously superior. However, both are worthy of publishing. Anyone have any tips for how I can help get his work published other than a simple self-publishing.
  • I can help get his work published other than a simple self-publishing.
    Self publishing is made of win, and is not simple.

Lulu for print on demand
    Kickstarter - to raise money for real printing
    Kindle/iBooks/other e-reader formats - get it up there

Publicity - The Internets! Go get interviewed on all the podcasts and reviewed on all the blogs that are relevant.