This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

Comments

• I can help get his work published other than a simple self-publishing.
    Self publishing is made of win, and is not simple.

Lulu for print on demand
    Kickstarter - to raise money for real printing
    Kindle/iBooks/other e-reader formats - get it up there

Publicity - The Internets! Go get interviewed on all the podcasts and reviewed on all the blogs that are relevant.
    Self publishing is easy for him because he has done it before, but it isn't the route he wants to go this time.
  • Self publishing is easy for him because he has done it before, but it isn't the route he wants to go this time.
    Good luck then. Getting published for reals is really hard. You basically have to network with and suck up to editors who deal with that kind of material. The best bet these days with publishing anything is to self-publish so well that a real publisher takes you on. For example: all the popular web-comics, Machinae Supremacy, Counter-Strike, and everything else we like. They all started out on their own, but became so popular that the publishers came knocking on their door, and not vice versa.
  • Self publishing is made of win, and is not simple.
    Scott's right as far as how to self-pub. While there are ways, and it is made of win, it ain't as easy as it looks. Getting your book into stores and handling your distro is tough, and publicity is tough if you don't know anyone, it's also not guaranteed you'll be able to raise a substantial amount of money unless your book or idea is blisteringly good. If you're a first time novelist, I wouldn't recommend it. You may end up with boxes of books in your house, and no buyers, and an Ebook on Amazon with no cred. I think we are at a place where the internet allows us to hook into a massive flux of participation. But what if your idea is crap or you don't get lucky or your amazing talent is just plain overlooked? As with anything, you're taking a chance.

I think Self-pubbing is as admirable as it is difficult. Which is very. And someone of Scott's caliber could probably make it happen with the right idea. But I also believe that books need editors. If you publish with a publishing house, they have all the high powered tools in place to put your book on the front lines. It's work you would be hard pressed to do by yourself, and a writer should just write, not be all on the phones and internets and all mailing things and scheduling their own tours, polishing their work, coming up with cover design, connecting to blurbers and reviewers, not to mention handling legal and rights issues. You'd have to have a lot of friends and be very well connected. And, as with most things, there are no rules in publishing, so books and authors work differently and on a case by case basis. It's all about what you want to do, how, and what you consider success.

Practically speaking, your friend first needs an agent. If he is legit, he can find a legit agent to help him submit his work to publishers of his genre. If you have to pay an agent up front for their services, before they land you a deal, they are not legit and are stealing your monies. Agents should be both salaried and work on their 15 or whatever % of profits due the author. Good agents will even take a well-informed crack at helping you better your book before they go fishing with it. I've seen agents take a proposal for a book and make a few recommendations to the author, spin it the right way, author takes the suggestions seriously and come out winning.

Finding an agent can be challenging, because they have limited time and are generally hard to reach unless you have a connection. However, targeting agents that you know will like what you do will get you results, even if it's in the form of rejection letters - agents who typically represent sci-fi and fantasy would probably work for your friend. A little research will probably turn up some interesting results. And the protocol for submitting your work to an agent can be found easily online - the cover letter, the manuscript, your info and CV, pitch of the book, etc. The trick is not to just massively forward your MS to every agent hoping to catch one, just target a few and write very specific letters, perhaps even mentioning work that they've represented that you liked.

Publishing houses rarely do deals directly with authors, so submitting your manuscript blindly to an editorial department at a publisher is a terrible idea, you can literally ruin your reputation by submitting your work unagented to a publishing house. If they see your name again and recognize it, they might not be so quick to consider you even if you have an agent.

So with agent on the move, they'll be in touch with the editors they think would like your book, hopefully landing you a deal. Warning though, first time authors do not get paid much at all. We're talking $5000 or less for your first book if you aren't already tapped into markets with your work. Hopefully you'll be a success, earn out your advance and collect royalties. If not, back to the drawing board.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that for books, NYC is the hub, and an agent is the first step. I'd also say that a whole book isn't always the best idea. Sometimes publishing smaller pieces in magazines and journals will get you the cred you need. Publishing in online journals, websites, collections, etc, is totally within this framework too. I'd also recommend starting or joining a worthy writing group. Books ought to be basically finished before they get to the publishing house, and unless you're amazing, it's hard to do your book alone without advice. Ne're many a self-taught-genius.

Either way, an agent is the key. After that, most of the business is between the agent and the publisher and you can just work on the creative side of things.
  • self-publish so well that a real publisher takes you on.
    This
  • Hahhahahaahhaha. Hahahahahhaaha.

Hahahahhahaha.

Reality check here. You know how much work your friend has put in to writing his novels? Take all that time and effort, and multiply that by ten. That's how much work he will now have to put in to TRYING to get published. And you know what? The chances are it won't happen. If he is asking friends for advice, or if you think asking on this forum is going to help, he is a long, long, long way away from getting published. Tell him to do about a year of research, and he then may or may not be ready to START looking for an agent.
  • Finished Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
    I've got all the Jordan novels but I've not ventured into the Sanderson ones. I'd be interested in hearing your review of them.
    I am happy with Sanderson’s handling of the series. Brandon’s style is very complimentary to Jordan and there are no jarring transitions. He writes the characters well and receives editorial support that he gets from Harriet and Jordan’s former assistants’ Maria and Paul so there are no major issues of continuity.

If you want to check out some of Sanderson’s solo work to get a feel for his writing I recommend Elantris, his debut novel. It’s a stand alone fantasy novel so you wont have to commit to a series or anything. It was my favorite book of his until The Way of Kings came out (which is ah-may-zing!!!), but I don’t know if you feel like tackling a 1,000 page hardcover if you just want to try out a new author out. :p
    self-publish so well that a real publisher takes you on.
    This
    Not this, unless your friend is planning on writing romance next.

The odds of a self-published novel receiving a book contract are even slimmer than getting published traditionally in the first place. Additionally, the self-published edition creates some obstacles for the of the distribution and publicity of the print edition. The retailers will be able to look up the sales numbers of that title if it has an ISBN and even if the book sold reasonably well, the number may still be a fraction of the number that the publisher is targeting. And sometimes the media and reviewers won’t see the reason to care because the material has already been out there for a while.

I fully support the decision to self-publish one‘s novel, but it is not a means to traditional print publication. Both take a ton of time and energy so you’re friend is going to have to decide what he wants from his novel.

Now self-publishing a novel to build a fan base and then selling a new project to a publisher is a strategy that has worked well for some writers.

There are a number of blogging agents that offer some great insights into the publishing process. He should check out Nathan Bransford, Janet Reid, Colleen Lindsay, and Rachelle Gardner to begin with. And before your friend starts querying agents he needs to read Query Shark. All of it. It is the best resource on writing a query letter and Janet is rather hilarious.

Good luck to your friend.
  • If you want to check out some of Sanderson’s solo work to get a feel for his writing I recommend Elantris, his debut novel
    This book is terrible, and I couldn't finish it. Download Warbreaker as a free ebook from his website; it is waaaaaay better.
  • I've started Dune.
  • I've started Dune.
    In my series of "leave the comfort zone, try shit you don't like again, etc." I'm thinking of going back on the Dune road.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2010
    I've downloaded two book samples on my Kindles, both of which I really like. One was Dune and another is a book with an oddly specific title. I first heard about it on the Gerald Rathkolb Geek Profile episode when he mentioned it. It's called Angry White Pyjamas: A Scrawny Oxford Poet Takes Lessons From the Tokyo Riot Police.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • OK, I'm putting my ego aside and picking up a Star Wars novel for the first time in 15 years. I found Heir to the Empire for cheap at the book store, so it's back to Thrawn.
  • Going back to the previous page: I'm pretty sure Kusanagi from GITSSAC and the Kusanagi originally intended by Masamune Shiro are vastly different characters. My experience with her being formed mostly by the manga, such discussion seems highly bizzare.
  • Yeah. I recall a certain set of color pages...
  • Picked up Something Wicked This Way Comes at a local secondhand shop back before Halloween. Finally getting around to re-reading it for the first time since 8th grade. Memo to self: download more Bradbury ePubs for the eventual e-reader purchase.
  • Going back to the previous page: I'm pretty sure Kusanagi from GITSSAC and the Kusanagi originally intended by Masamune Shiro are vastly different characters. My experience with her being formed mostly by the manga, such discussion seems highly bizzare.
    The animated series removes a lot of Shiro's pervy obsessions.
  • The animated series removes a lot of Shiro's pervy obsessions.
    While he does have many pervy obsessions, I think they actually stand out too much because they are visual in nature. The fact is that he is a military fanboy first and a perv second. His military fanboyism is also completely absent in all of the animated adaptations of his work.
  • It's funny, because he is a military fanboy, but about the specs of made-up tanks and stuff. Imaginary weaponry gets pages of explanation.
    Shiro has gotten more and more pervy. GiTs Kusanagi boat is nothing compared to the CG nonsense he comes up with lately.
  • Galgrease takes the cake.
  • OK, I'm putting my ego aside and picking up a Star Wars novel for the first time in 15 years. I foundHeir to the Empirefor cheap at the book store, so it's back to Thrawn.
    Don't let their reputation fool you, there is some quality Star Wars fiction. I can think of several Star Wars books I would never regret having read:

- Heir to the Empire trilogy
    - Jedi Academy trilogy
    - Dark Empire comics
    - "Tales from" short story compilations, specifically Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina.

Sure they're not going to win awards, but at the same time they're not complete trash. Just don't let yourself go too far and start reading Young Jedi Knights.
  • Started "Red Seas Under Red Skies" for my week off. More of the same Locke Lamora action.
  • More of the same Locke Lamora action.
    Pretty much. So far, this guy's a Guy Ritchie of fantasy Lupin.
  • - Heir to the Empire trilogy
    Sorry, sir, but I tried re-reading this recently and it was utter pulp junk. Hamfisted, juvenile, yucky trash.

I just finished Frederik Pohl's Midas World, which is a compendium of short stories about how fusion power "liberates" mankind but creates its own problems. The premise of most stories (all set in the same universe) gets pretty outlandish; for instance, the first one posits that because of power is plentiful, products can be produced at no cost and so the poor spend their lives being forced to consume them. This flip-flops the wealth gap so that the larger house you have or the more cars, the poorer you are. It belies a total misunderstanding of economics. But if you roll with it, it has some fun things to say about human nature.
  • Don't let their reputation fool you, there is some quality Star Wars fiction. I can think of several Star Wars books I would never regret having read:
    Michael Stackpole is pretty decent, he writes some alright stuff. Avoid Karen Traviss.
  • Sorry, sir, but I tried re-reading this recently and it was utter pulp junk. Hamfisted, juvenile, yucky trash.
    People praise this trilogy like crazy. If you ask anyone what Star Wars novels are good, 100% of the time this trilogy is cited. I actually bought and read the whole thing. I don't think it was complete garbage, just kinda trashy. Even so, if that is the best that Star Wars novels have to offer, I can't imagine what kind of crap the others are like.
  • edited December 2010
    Even so, if that is thebestthat Star Wars novels have to offer, I can't imagine what kind of crap the others are like.
    Fuck no. Whoever suggests that is the pinnacle of Star Wars Novels, clearly have not read much else. Of anything. Shit, Even the Han Solo Adventures YA novels are better than that tripe. Though, they're not actually THAT bad, for YA novels, but despite being simplistic and pulpy, they're quite enjoyable for what they are, and a quick enough read that it's not such a bother if you don't like them that much.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I remember greatly enjoying Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. The short story approach to Star Wars works much better than epics, in my opinion. People want to have characters fleshed out that appear on screen for only a handful of seconds.
  • I just read Flowers For Algernon for the first time in maybe 15 years. I think I've only read the short story version before, but can't remember.

Anyway, everyone should read this book. It's very rare that I'm a complete wreck emotionally at the end of a book, but this one had me in tears no problem!
  • I like that book too.
  • I remember greatly enjoying Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. The short story approach to Star Wars works much better than epics, in my opinion. People want to have characters fleshed out that appear on screen for only a handful of seconds.
    It's pretty good, but Tales of the bounty hunters isn't quite as decent of a followup - it's essentially a book about how Boba Fett is damn near perfectly cunning and intelligent to the point of being omnipresent and goes around being an enormous badass, Bossk is a big fucking lizard and a badass, and Dengar is a put upon guy who hates Han Solo and doesn't like his job so much, and is kind of a badass, and a girl with them who doesn't remember much, and is learning to be a badass.

I, Jedi is pretty good, and includes a pretty interesting examination of how - despite many EU portrayals - Luke Skywalker is, indeed, a Jedi master, but he's also a farmboy who doesn't know so much about the universe, and how a Jedi who isn't some super-naive paragon of light who relies on the force to solve everything(Aka, who isn't a boring character) operates. Though, it does have a slight flaw - it Presupposes a moderate level of knowledge of the EU, and that you've read a few Rogue Squadron books to get a handle on the character of Corran Horn - but it's quite readable without those things, however, I'd think it was less enjoyable.
  • NECROMANCY

Who here is a Dresden Files fan? I sure am.