This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

Comments

• You Can Lead an Atheist to Evidence! But You Can't Make Him Think by Ray Comfort.

Such an enlightening book, extremely humorous.
  • edited November 2011

Oh, I figured it was something that was actually non-standard for the US, like Indonesian, or Bruneian, or Indigenous Australian, or something. Not just Non-Caucasian people - after all, African Americans, Many flavors of Asian(since I don't feel like listing a half dozen countries), Latinos and Indian/pakistani people are all pretty standard ethnicities in the US, or so I'm led to believe.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You're not led astray. Hiro doesn't really have a non-standard ethnicity. I mean, yeah, he's the product of a mixed marriage, but so am I, and I'm not exactly "non-standard." I would have called maybe an Inuit-Javanese hero "non-standard," I guess.
  • edited November 2011
    Well, the character is a westernized Eritrean refugee raised in Idaho so the description sooooorta holds up. This is of vital importance to her character however and isn't just thrown in to make her "non-standard" as I unfortunately phrased it.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Well, the character is a westernized Eritrean refugee raised in Idaho so the description sooooorta holds up. This is of vital importance to her character however and isn't just thrown in to make her "non-standard" as I unfortunately phrased it.
    OH! Well, if she's a eritrean refugee, then she is quite literally a non-standard ethnicity, so that's alright. It was more the sort-of explanation that confused me.
  • Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense.
  • edited November 2011
    I finished The Club Dumas while on a trip last week. I actually found it quite disappointing.
    That's too bad. Just finished The Shadow of the Wind, which I liked quite a bit, and reviewers keep comparing it to this book, so I thought I might check it out. The Shadow of the Wind is a very gothic tale of lies and intrigue in Barcelona in the 50's, and it's also all about books and writing. It's kind of neat, because it feels like a very "magical realism" type fantasy, but nothing legitimately supernatural happens.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Started reading The Hunger Games. Should be a quick read.
  • Just finished The Hunger Games, now purchasing/downloading Catching Fire.

March needs to come sooner. Much sooner.
  • Just finished The Hunger Games, now purchasing/downloading Catching Fire.

March needs to come sooner. Much sooner.
    Took me a minute to figure that out, I was thinking "Wait, the third book was released LAST year, I thought..." and then I realised you meant the movie. Really looking forward to that one too, and the ARG for Hunger Games was actually really good, I quite enjoyed that.

• My girlfriend bought my The Little Prince for Christmas. It's a fun book, but I think one that will only resonate and mean so much to someone of they read it at a young age.

I normally do a book review podcast about every book I read, but I'm not sure if this qualifies as a full book, even though it was a book. Maybe I'll record a special episode.
  • My girlfriend bought my The Little Prince for Christmas. It's a fun book, but I think one that will only resonate and mean so much to someone of they read it at a young age.

I normally do a book review podcast about every book I read, but I'm not sure if this qualifies as a full book, even though it was a book. Maybe I'll record a special episode.
    That's why I had to make it a double book club.
  • But I don't intend to read the other book. Oh well.
    You are missing out big time.
    Your loss. I started to read it and I think I am going to make it recommended reading for everyone at the studio, to get an idea for the mood and feeling of what flying used to be like. If I could even just come close in conveying that feeling in my game, it would be amazing.
  • Just finished Catching Fire, now onto the final book in the trilogy: Mockingjay.
    Your loss. I started to read it and I think I am going to make it recommended reading for everyone at the studio, to get an idea for the mood and feeling of what flying used to be like. If I could even just come close in conveying that feeling in my game, it would be amazing.
    I'll get to it some time, I'm sure, but not in time to include in any review I may or may not do of The Little Prince.

• Started to read Shogun. Made it about 130 pages so far, its really interesting but kind of full of the old tits and violence which I didn't really expect.
  • Started to read Shogun. Made it about 130 pages so far, its really interesting but kind of full of the old tits and violence which I didn't really expect.
    I own Shogun, but haven't read it yet, but I loved the same authors Tai-Pan.

• Its really good and really draws you in. Its just not all hugs and kisses but im guessing that if you like his other works then its no real bother for you.
  • Its really good and really draws you in. Its just not all hugs and kisses but im guessing that if you like his other works then its no real bother for you.
    I'm tabletop GM I believe that fictional characters should suffer.

• Haha there is that. So far none of it has really stood out to me as overly jarring. I always hate it when a character has to arbitrarily suffer so that their later actions are justified or for no reason.
  • Tina Fey's Bossypants is pretty god-damn hilarious.

The Art of Tangled is very unlike other Art of Disney books that I have in that it actually talks rather heavily about the making of the film (and most interestingly for me personally, the world building).
  • For Christmas I got a copy of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I'm about five chapters in and already love it. I think I might be able to finish it in a day or two, if nothing comes up. So far the only other books of his I've read is Stardust, American Gods, and Coraline.
  • I just finished reading Mockingjay. I still need more time to fully take it all in. I read the 2nd and 3rd book within a short period of time. I think I will check out the audibooks so I can take them in slowly.

Overall, I really loved the series. I couldn't stop reading. It is a seriously fast read. I found the details of scenes so well done that I can easily imagine so many of them as if I was watching it on tv.

I'm seriously looking forward to March, but still holding many reservations because of how badly movie adaptations have burned me in the past.
  • I finished the Hunger Games trilogy over the break. Couldn't put them down, blasted through super fast. I know they were written for teens and all, but I kinda wish they were longer and more detailed. I really wanted more explanation of the technology as well (and less about crazy fashion, which made me feel like a silly teenager). I'm thinking the movie version may be able to add some of the stuff I missed from the books, like more about the districts, the other players/victors, etc.

The end of Mockingjay was awesome though, and I agree with the choice she made in the end. Don't feel like doing a spoiler block so that's all I'll say :X
  • But that's the whole think about how it was more a focus on fashion vs technology. It was social commentary about reality TV.
    Collins says that the idea for The Hunger Games came from channel surfing on television. On one channel she observed people competing on a reality show and on another she saw footage of the invasion of Iraq. The two "began to blur in this very unsettling way"[5] and the idea for the book was formed.
    I agree with the ending as well. I was happy with the choice she made.

I'm very sad about certain characters not surviving, but it's just a personal preference and liking I had towards them.
  • I just finished reading Mockingjay.
    I hated the part with the mom. And that one girl.

• Jason is full of lies. He's never read the books.

Also one of the dragons eats and kills Bran Stark.
  • But that's the whole think about how it was more a focus on fashion vs technology. It was social commentary about reality TV.
    Collins says that the idea for The Hunger Games came from channel surfing on television. On one channel she observed people competing on a reality show and on another she saw footage of the invasion of Iraq. The two "began to blur in this very unsettling way"[5] and the idea for the book was formed.
    I get the point, I just got really tired of her describing these crazy outfits and dresses after awhile. (Mainly when it was for Katniss... I enjoyed the silly explanations of the stupid capital people, though.) I also think a lot of stuff felt specific for teenage girls, like the Gale vs. Peeta, wedding planning, etc. (Not sure how to word this correctly...)
    I guess what I'm saying is the books are great, but my only gripe is that it was written for tweens instead of a more sophisticated crowd like us. :-P