This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

Comments

• There are online solutions for taking the raw gps data files and setting them over maps, but it turned out HoudahGeo did a better job in an easier way.
  • New video of my walk down Manhattan on Broadway:
  • Wow that's pretty cool Luke!
  • What software did you use to get it to automatically switch on the beat like that?
  • Luke, you are a pretty funny guy.
  • That was awesome! I recognized so many of those corners! You went by my old apartment on 10th, my school, and a block away from work! This was such a brilliant little vid!

You wrote the song too?
  • What software did you use to get it to automatically switch on the beat like that?
    I used Final Cut Express. It took a few hours of experimenting to work out the timing I wanted and also to edit each photo to fit. It isn't an automated process, I did it by hand. I'm sure there is software to do it automagically, but this way I had way more control.

That was awesome! I recognized so many of those corners! You went by my old apartment on 10th, my school, and a block away from work! This was such a brilliant little vid!

You wrote the song too?
    Yup, I wrote the song back in august, but never got round to sharing it on my blog or on youtube, though I posted an MP3 version in the music you have made thread on this forum.

Maybe I can come by your work tomorrow? I'm going to be in the city during the day, because I'm going to the lunchtime juggling meeting in Bryant Park, and have plenty of time in the afternoon to kill. I've yet to really explore Chinatown too.
  • Not sure how long you're in NY for, but if you're got another few weeks you should check out a broadway show. Specifically, 1iota.com is giving away free tickets to the show "Lombardi", a story about the famous NFL coach. It's in previews right now so they're just giving them away (1iota is a site that is usually used to get people into free seats for live studio audiences at late shows and such). You have to put in a request and then they let you know a few days in advance if you got tickets or not, but it's worth a shot.

• Maybe I can come by your work tomorrow? I'm going to be in the city during the day, because I'm going to the lunchtime juggling meeting in Bryant Park, and have plenty of time in the afternoon to kill. I've yet to really explore Chinatown too.
    Sure thing! Feel free!
  • I wanted to go to the top of a tall building while in New York. By default, I expected this would be the Empire State Building. However, so many people said "Go up to the Top Of The Rock, at the Rockefeller Center, and you get better views, most importantly views OF the Empire State Building."

So I did so, and I'm glad I did!

Here is my attempt to recreate a 1930's black and white photo of New York:

• Very good decision, Luke (and awesome photo btw). Most people wind up at the ESB because it's iconic and a few bucks cheaper, but what's hard to find in the tourist literature is that the ESB will squeeze another $15 out of you if you want to go past the 82nd floor, up to the 100-somethings. Going up that high is pretty damn incredible, and blows the regular observation deck away (the one you see in movies), but it's only worth it if you've got money to burn.
  • GPS tracks of 25 days of cycling in New York. I use a Amod GPS tracker so I can geotag my photos. As well as making it easy to locate where I took a photo, I can also output the tracks to a map.

• Cost of my NYC trip, including flights, rent, food, and tourist spending: $1,714.72
  • Considering that was a month worth of living, not bad at all!
  • Considering that was a month worth of living, not bad at all!
    Rent was offset by subletting my apartment in Berlin. But yeah, for 27 days, I think I did pretty well!
  • Luke, that's amazing. Hope you had a great time! Shame I wasn't able to get into the city much this month or I might have bumped into you. Was really only there for Maker Faire.
  • New video of my walk down Manhattan on Broadway:

So I got a YouTube comment on this video, and it seems a V-jay in London saw the video and liked it. It's now being played on the big screens of a gay nightclub in Soho. And it gets the place pumping.

Life is fun.
  • I once told my late aunt in New Jersey that it would take something extraordinary to consider coming up to the Northeast. Here it is:

In May 2011, NJPW is planning on running three shows- one in the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, one in Rahway, NJ and one at an undisclosed location in NYC. Gedo, Jado, Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Tiger Mask IV, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Prince Devitt are planned to work the show.
  • In September I spent 26 days in New York on holiday (or vacation, as I had to say while in america, to avoid confusion). Even though I blogged all the way through, and shared loads of photos, I noticed I haven't shared my overall thoughts of the trip. I guess this will be that blog post!

To match the number of days I spent in the city, I picked 26 photos that hopefully sum up my experiences and memories, even if they aren't my favorite photos exactly.

On day two I bought a bike! It cost 150 dollars. On day 26 I sold it for 100 dollars. I rode it almost everywhere, covering between 15 and 45 miles per day. I did take the subway at some points, but only for specific journeys, and when it was pouring with rain.

On day two I bought a bike! It cost 150 dollars. On day 26 I sold it for 100 dollars. I rode it almost everywhere, covering between 15 and 45 miles per day. I did take the subway at some points, but only for specific journeys, and when it was pouring with rain.

I use a GPS tracker to geotag my photos, but can also output my routes as lines on a map using Google Earth. Here is the majority of my cycling and walking in NYC, though some specific parts are missing due to dead batteries and forgetfulness.

I use a GPS tracker to geotag my photos, but can also output my routes as lines on a map using Google Earth. Here is the majority of my cycling and walking in NYC, though some specific parts are missing due to dead batteries and forgetfulness.

As you see, I never visited the Bronx or Staten Island, sticking only to Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. Not only that, I didn't leave NYC itself at all. As I travel a lot with work, I often visit cities for one day, or just a few hours. I was invited to Boston and other cities, but turned down every one, as my idea of a holiday is not traveling at all!

New York Unicycle Festival on Governor's Island.

New York Unicycle Festival on Governor's Island.

Shopping on Broadway.

Shopping on Broadway.

The photo called "I'M IN NEW YORK MOTHERFUCKER DON'T YOU EVER FORGET"

The photo called

US Open Tennis.

US Open Tennis.

Sweat marks after long bike rides wearing a backpack.

Sweat marks after long bike rides wearing a backpack.

On my first Wednesday, my housemate for the month said "You play the guitar, right? We're having a song writers' circle at a friend's place. You should come along and share some songs."

On my first Wednesday, my housemate for the month said

Getting to know the people in this photo was one of the best parts of my trip! Sharing my music was okay, but hearing their music, and seeing them perform around the city really made the difference.

I also hung out with the geeks. Scott and Rym are the hosts of a podcast I listen to, and we often met up for dinner, trips, podcasting, and in this case, playing nerdy games.

I also hung out with the geeks. Scott and Rym are the hosts of a podcast I listen to, and we often met up for dinner, trips, podcasting, and in this case, playing nerdy games.

I was in NYC for September 11th.

I was in NYC for September 11th.

I took lots of photos at night.

I took lots of photos at night.

I sublet a room in Hipsterville, otherwise known as Bushwick. There was always something going on in these two buildings, including parties on the roof, or parties in the other apartments, or parties in the basement...

I sublet a room in Hipsterville, otherwise known as Bushwick. There was always something going on in these two buildings, including parties on the roof, or parties in the other apartments, or parties in the basement...

I cycled most of the way round Manhattan, keeping as close to the shore as possible. Under the George Washington Bridge I found this tiny lighthouse.

I cycled most of the way round Manhattan, keeping as close to the shore as possible. Under the George Washington Bridge I found this tiny lighthouse.

I went to see the Mets lose a game of baseball with the geeks.

I went to see the Mets lose a game of baseball with the geeks.

I hung out on the beach with all the Williamsburg hipsters.

I hung out on the beach with all the Williamsburg hipsters.

I walked the length of Manhattan on Broadway.

I walked the length of Manhattan on Broadway.

I walked around the city at night.

I walked around the city at night.

I went to the top of the Rockefeller center at sunset.

I went to the top of the Rockefeller center at sunset.

I juggled in Bryant Park.

I juggled in Bryant Park.

I met up with Emily at the computer game studio where she works.

I met up with Emily at the computer game studio where she works.

I made friends with Emily and Isha, performers at the New York Clown Festival.

I made friends with Emily and Isha, performers at the New York Clown Festival.

I ate eight bacon cheeseburgers in eight days in an attempt to find the Ultimate New York Burger.

I ate eight bacon cheeseburgers in eight days in an attempt to find the Ultimate New York Burger.

Here's me with my bike on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Here's me with my bike on the Brooklyn Bridge.

I cycled to Coney Island, rode some rides, ate a hotdog, and fell asleep on the beach.

I cycled to Coney Island, rode some rides, ate a hotdog, and fell asleep on the beach.

I saw five or six bands, including this awesome set by Lyle Divinsky and company.

I saw five or six bands, including this awesome set by Lyle Divinsky and company.

I went to the Maker Faire World Congress, and saw Eepy Bird live.

I went to the Maker Faire World Congress, and saw Eepy Bird live.

In other words, I was pretty busy in New York! In the 26 days, I only stayed in two evenings. I had lots of goals for the trip, and managed to meet all of them. I also did way more besides, exceeding every expectation.

Even the weather stayed on my side!

For the entire trip I spent quite a lot of money, but much of it was either on things not specifically for the trip, or I managed to reclaim some of the money. For example, by subletting my massive and very nice apartment in Berlin, I managed to rent a single small room in a barely furnished shared apartment in NYC. And all the things I bought in NYC (excluding my bike) I took back to Berlin. Also I eat food in Berlin too, but food in NYC costs way more, so I reckon I spent about twice as much on food in NYC than normal.

So once I do all the sums, including flights, I spent about 1700 dollars on holiday specific expenses. Not bad for a 26 day New York vacation!

I expect I'll visit NYC again, and would love to spend a few weeks there next year. Thanks to everyone I met for making it an extra special trip!

• GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    Why the hell don't you use Flickr? It's a much better alternative than continually posting a 20+ pics on one posts.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Why the hell don't you use Flickr? It's a much better alternative than continually posting a 20+ pics on one posts.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. I post all my photos to my blog, and now and then I re-post the same text and images in this forum. Is this a bad thing? If you can explain how using Flickr can help me share my photos more easily on my blog, that would be great.
  • Scott looks so excited in that picture.
  • Scott looks so excited in that picture.
    He looks like he's pretending to be a dinosaur.
  • Why the hell don't you use Flickr? It's a much better alternative than continually posting a 20+ pics on one posts.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your point. I post all my photos to my blog, and now and then I re-post the same text and images in this forum. Is this a bad thing? If you can explain how using Flickr can help me share my photos more easily on my blog, that would be great.
    Well that depends on what service you use to make your blog with. Is it Wordpress, Blogspot, etc? If so, then I'm sure there is an Flickr extension out there that can help you share those photos.
  • Hey Geo, let me tell you a little how I make my blog posts.

What I want:
    A single post with lots of photos, all viewable at the first look, at a size that does the photos justice, but that still fit on most displays. For a great example of this, check out the Big Picture blog from the Boston Globe.

What I don't want:
    Any "Click here to see the next image" links.
    Thumbnails.
    Flash.
    Scripts (although I'd love the "J for next photo" link on the Big Picture blog).
    Any external controls on how any photo displays.
    Stress.

Here's my method:
    - I use Lightroom to export all the photos I want, with a set prefix, and individually numbered, all at the right size for viewing on my blog.
    - These go into a set file on my laptop, named with the same prefix.
    - I use a text file to write the blog post. Each line starts with a number. If the number is 0 it means there is no photo. Any number above that means I write about the photo with that number.
    - I name that file with the same prefix.
    - I run a python script that takes all the writing in the text file and converts it to HTML (with the photo descriptions as alt-text), and spits out two files.
    - The first file is a html file that I can load locally, to check all the photos look good, and all the descriptions make sense, and there are no errors.
    - The second file (and the terminal window) displays the HTML code, ready to copy and paste.

So far, I can do all of this while not connected to the internet. This is very important for me, because as you can see from my forum posts, I spend a lot of time traveling. It's no good to me to only be able to work when connected to the internet, when I'm on a plane. Or I'm on a cruise ship with satellite internet, which is very slow and very expensive, and I might not have wifi in my room. For example, I wrote this post while offline, or else it might have cost me a dollar to write while connected.

- At this point, I can connect to the internet, and use ftp to upload the folder with the photos to my server.
    - Because the files are already at the exact size and quality for display on my blog, it takes no longer than necessary. These 26 photos took about 10 minutes over satellite internet.
    - Meanwhile, I paste the HTML into my wordpress blog "new post" form, tick a few boxes, and hit "Publish".
    - I sometimes paste the same HTML to this forum.
    - I now disconnect from the internet.

Sometimes, if I also want to share the original resolution files along with smaller display images, I export each photo from Lightroom twice, with the same number, and use a slightly different python script. Of course, these photos then take a massive amount of bandwidth compared to only the smaller images, and so I rarely do this when traveling.

Also, I often upload my favorite photos to Facebook, to share them there too, especially if the photos show friends or events my friends attended.

I have a Flickr account. For the number of images I share, I'd have to get a paid account, and so far I've not seen how it will help me share images on my blog. It'll add many steps to the entire process, and steps I can only do online.

Again, if you could explain what I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it.
  • You gotta come to LA one of these days. I'm sure I can speak for the rest of the folks down here when I say that we'll show you an awesome time.
  • You gotta come to LA one of these days. I'm sure I can speak for the rest of the folks down here when I say that we'll show you an awesome time.
    I've never seen or read or heard anything about LA that I find interesting enough for me to visit. Compared to the things I did in New York, what kind of things would you suggest I get up to in LA?
  • Compared to the things I did in New York, what kind of things would you suggest I get up to in LA?
    Rent a car and drive in heavy traffic. ^_~
  • Luke's post wants me to go to NYC again...@_@. But that sounded amazing.

And Rym looks nice with a clean shave.
  • edited October 2010
    Compared to the things I did in New York, what kind of things would you suggest I get up to in LA?
    It appears from your posts that 90% of what you did on your trip was ride your bike around and take photos, so I'm not sure our definitions of "interesting" really line up. Did you go see any plays? Did you check out MoMA, the Guggenheim, or any other of the countless great museums? Any of the famous comedy clubs or music venues? Most of what I could suggest in LA would be along those lines. It's not a bike-able city by any stretch of the imagination and public transportation is scarce. If like places where you can walk around and see cool shit everywhere, San Francisco kicks the shit out of LA any day.
    Post edited by Sail on