This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

• edited July 2010
    This taken my friends by storm.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Maybe they'll start rickrolling each other soon.
  • edited July 2010
    @Viga: Could someone to get someone to replace that guy's head with Strong Bad, or perhaps make a sort of Homestar Runner AMV? That's all I can think of when I hear this is his voice.

Please accept my linking to this image as payment:
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • @Wyatt That is epic payment indeed.
  • @Wyatt That is epic payment indeed.
    This person was commissioned to do the artwork.

This is why people are awesome and the internet helps connect awesome people to share their awesome ideas.
  • Sorry, Apple, not impressed.
    Apple's main problem is they don't have an equivalent to DirectX. They have never invested the time or the money to optimize OS X for gaming. I know some fanboys who are hoping Steam coming to the Mac would help push Apple in this direction, but I'm not holding my breath.

Who knows, maybe Steve Jobs doesn't want to risk another Pippin.
  • Apple's main problem is they don't have an equivalent to DirectX. They have never invested the time or the money to optimize OS X for gaming. I know some fanboys who are hoping Steam coming to the Mac would help push Apple in this direction, but I'm not holding my breath.
    "Hey, The Mac is a Gaming Machine! I can play Half Life 2 on it!" "I can't play it on my PC." "HAHA! Why is that?" "Because I deleted it about a year and a half ago, six months after it came out, to free up room on my hard drive, and now I have to buy another, because with all the games I've got, I've been running out of hard drive space. I don't have the room for HL2."

Also - Apple doesn't upgrade their hardware specs too often - what happens when the next round of "Oh cock, time for another upgrade" games comes out, and Mac users can't run them, because their computers don't have the guts for it?
  • Also - Apple doesn't upgrade their hardware specs too often - what happens when the next round of "Oh cock, time for another upgrade" games comes out, and Mac users can't run them, because their computers don't have the guts for it?
    That's their other problem. Most of their computers are easily outclassed by gaming rigs. The only possible thing that could come close is the Mac Pro, but that's far out of the average Apple user's budget.
  • Also - Apple doesn't upgrade their hardware specs too often - what happens when the next round of "Oh cock, time for another upgrade" games comes out, and Mac users can't run them, because their computers don't have the guts for it?
    That's their other problem. Most of their computers are easily outclassed by gaming rigs. The only possible thing that could come close is the Mac Pro, but that's far out of the average Apple user's budget.
    And even so, my $900 PC gaming monstrosity kicks the ever-loving shit out of the only Mac Pro that would be remotely within the budget (read:$2500-$3000) of anyone buying for non-professional purposes.
  • edited July 2010
    No really, WTF.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • And even so, my $900 PC gaming monstrosity kicks the ever-loving shit out of the only Mac Pro that would be remotely within the budget (read:$2500-$3000) of anyone buying for non-professional purposes.
    The 5750 they are advertising as an "extra" is a pretty decent gaming card. Too bad they got no new software to use it on.
  • If you are willing to spend that much to get both mac OS and games in one system, you'd be better off just getting an X-Fi bootloader and hackingtoshing that shit.
  • I go to my friend's list on XBL and see this:

Tentacles & Scott... perhaps the 360 knows more to Scott than we know.
  • edited July 2010
    "They rapin' errbody out heah!"

Unfortunately, the time codes don't work, so skip to about 1:00.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • "They rapin' errbody out heah!"
    Am I supposed to take that seriously?
  • It was probably Lil' Wayne.
  • And now we know how to defeat a wild Lil' Wayne; cough syrup!
  • edited July 2010
    Post edited by Churba on
  • WhatIf.jpg
    I'm the Hulk, biatch!
  • WhatIf.jpg
    I'm the Hulk, biatch!
    I'm reasonably sure that was a real cover(and comic) too.
  • I'm reasonably sure that was a real cover(and comic) too.
    I have a feeling it would have been a damn sight better than this one... (He's a super-Hulk, super-Hulk / He's super-Hulky, yowwwwww)
  • I'm reasonably sure that was a real cover(and comic) too.
    I have a feeling it would have been a damn sight betterthan this one...(He's a super-Hulk, super-Hulk / He's super-Hulky, yowwwwww)
    Ah, yes, that's the one. And goddamn, the Marvel What-ifs were a fucking terrible line.
  • edited July 2010
    Ah, yes, that's the one. And goddamn, the Marvel What-ifs were a fucking terrible line.
    I loved them when I was a kid. They weren't all ridiculous garbage like What if Rick James was the Hulk -- most of them were "what if some major point in Marvel continuity was different", and usually, it meant that everyone died. I mean, shit, in "What if the Punisher had killed Daredevil", Aunt May got blown up with a rocket launcher.

Also, I like how the white guy on that cover is saying "brotha'".

EDIT: I realize now, because I hadn't paid attention to the link, that this is not real. But I'm not going to hide my shame.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • EDIT: I realize now, because I hadn't paid attention to the link, that this is not real. But I'm not going to hide my shame.
    I got caught too, because I remembered the original cover hazily, and it seemed perfectly reasonable for the time to have a "What if Rick James was the hulk" one shot.

And yes, there were the odd funny moments or good issues in the what-if series, and I liked them when I was younger, but they didn't stand up for me. Though, I do remember Aunt May getting blown up with a rocket launcher, that was fucking hilarious.

Okay, Am I the only one around here who knows a lot about/likes the underwear pervert books, rather than being disdainful of them and going for Manga instead, or am I not? I'm getting confused, here.
  • edited July 2010
    I get the sense you either had to get into SH comics at that time in your life when the legend of the overfiend is the height of comedy or catch it from someone you know, much like cRPGs.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I get the sense you either had to get into SH comics at that time in your life when the legend of the overfiend is the height of comedy or catch it from someone you know, much like cRPGs.
    Nah, it's more of a point of coming across something you like, and eventually, you will most likely branch into something else. For example, you like Sandman. John Constantine is in Sandman(Which is FUCKING FANTASTIC, and if you have not read it, you should do that RIGHT NOW), and so is an arc of JLA, so you pick up some of those. You love Hellblazer, and you like that arc of JLA, but don't bother picking up more JLA. But then you have another comic linked in from Hellblazer, so you read that, and like it, and so on - it's like nodes in a web-style network, with your jumping on point often being little more than a hub to get to other places.

The trick is just finding your jumping on point.
  • Okay, Am I the only one around here who knows a lot about/likes the underwear pervert books, rather than being disdainful of them and going for Manga instead, or am I not? I'm getting confused, here.
    I read superhero comics almost exclusively before I was in high school -- that's about all I had access to. They wouldn't let me buy the Vertigo books at the comic shop, and manga basically didn't exist in the US aside from the single issues of Akira that Marvel was putting out (I probably couldn't have bought those either) and maybe Lone Wolf & Cub.

So I have a pretty solid grounding in superhero mythology. These days, I generally don't read superhero books, and it's not because I have any issues with the concept of superheroes -- it's a lot more because I have issues with the whole 50-80-years-of-continuity-shared-universe-across-hundreds-of-books-gotta-buy-everything-to-understand-what's-going-on thing that tends to go along with them. There's no way in hell that I can or want to keep up with that stuff. I still read superhero stuff occasionally when something exceptional and preferably stand-alone like All Star Superman comes out. So, in brief -- I'm not disdainful of superhero comics, just of what superhero comics usually are.
    I get the sense you either had to get into SH comics at that time in your life when the legend of the overfiend is the height of comedy or catch it from someone you know, much like cRPGs.
    I think that's largely true, though I don't think it's necessarily because you have to be at the right level of (im)maturity or anything like that. These days, superhero comics are an impenetrable mess to anyone who doesn't have a history with them. I can't count how many times recently I've seen someone online say something like "I just watched Iron Man, and I want to start reading comics -- but I don't know where to start." Or they went into a creepy rape-dungeon comics shop, and picked up whatever Iron Man was on the stands, and it was full or characters they didn't know, talking about other characters they didn't know, and stuff that happened 50 years ago, and they had no idea what was going on. With manga, it's easy -- you just start at volume 1.
  • it's a lot more because I have issues with the whole 50-80-years-of-continuity-shared-universe-across-hundreds-of-books-gotta-buy-everything-to-understand-what's-going-on thing that tends to go along with them.
    I have a similar issue - I'll pick up some here and there, and I'll pick up specials or events - for example, The Killing Joke, or Batman, Year one, or Dark Knight Returns, just for three off the top of my head - and I'll pick up series that are good - for example, Brave and the bold, or Gotham by Gaslight, to continue with the batman theme - But I don't tend towards the main holy-fuck-what-the-shit-is-going-on-we-need-a-reboot-just-so-that-someone-can-at-least-fart-without-breaking-the-entire-continuity books, which exist pretty much to make money because people will buy them, week to week. I'll also buy a lot of separate series, such as Watchmen, Preacher, Hellblazer, Sandman, Death, Fables, Atomic Robo, that sorta stuff.