This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

WTF of Your Day

Comments

• Yeah, I was meaning more the age when you have the spare time to dedicate to things like learning the entire Warhammer 40k lore.
    I'm not disdainful of superhero comics, just of what superhero comics usually are.
    So you just dislike the majority?

My biggest beef with Super Hero comics boils down to "Is this all there is?" problem where you go into a comic shop and, if you don't like Super Heros, Sci-fi or Fantasy, you've pretty much got just the indie comics, which are often hard to tell from the cover, or there's always the manga section, and a lot of new people see manga as the comics you read if comics don't appeal to you.
  • I have a similar issue - I'll pick up some here and there, and I'll pick up specials or events - for example, The Killing Joke, or Batman, Year one, or Dark Knight Returns, just for three off the top of my head - and I'll pick up series that are good - for example, Brave and the bold, or Gotham by Gaslight, to continue with the batman theme - But I don't tend towards the main holy-fuck-what-the-shit-is-going-on-we-need-a-reboot-just-so-that-someone-can-at-least-fart-without-breaking-the-entire-continuity books, which exist pretty much to make money because people will buy them, week to week. I'll also buy a lot of separate series, such as Watchmen, Preacher, Hellblazer, Sandman, Death, Fables, Atomic Robo, that sorta stuff.
    Yes, exactly. Whenever I read Superhero books, it's always the sort of stuff you mentioned -- stuff with a beginning and end, that can be read in a vacuum.

I just remembered another thing that sucks about Big-Two superhero comics -- NOTHING MATTERS. Anything big that happens is going to eventually be undone. Superman dead? Not anymore. Captain America dead? Not anymore. Batman dead? As I understand it, he's literally on his way back to life right now. Hell, Spider-Man married to Mary Jane? Woops, never happened. It's impossible to get really emotionally invested in anything when you know none of it really matters in the larger narrative.
  • Hell, Spider-Man married to Mary Jane? Woops, never happened.
    Don't forget when spidey gave MJ cancer WITH HIS RADIOACTIVE JIZZ. WHAT THE SHIT.
  • Don't forget when spidey gave MJ cancer WITH HIS RADIOACTIVE JIZZ. WHAT THE SHIT.
    wat.

Man, I only hear about this stuff second-hand, I never heard about that. WTF.
  • edited July 2010
    No joke -
    Next panel is a large splash image of him screaming "Loving me killed you!" if I remember correctly.
    He doesn't outright say it - Because you can't really say "I gaves you ze cancers with my radioactive Friendly neighberhood spiderjizz LOLOLOLOLOL" in a Comics Code Authority title - but it's pretty clear.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Wait a second, how the crap did that much radioactive material get--

Must not attempt to apply science to super heros.
  • Wait a second, how the crap did that much radioactive material get--
    Obviously, the radioactive spider bit him on the dick. It's like Sampson's hair.
  • But, a spider's not going to put out much more than a teaspoon of venom.
    Stop it with the logic.
  • Okay, Am I the only one around here who knows a lot about/likes the underwear pervert books, rather than being disdainful of them and going for Manga instead, or am I not? I'm getting confused, here.
    I'd answer over here, but I think I'm going to take it to a new thread.
  • But, a spider's not going to put out much more than a teaspoon of venom.
    It was an EXTREMELY radioactive spider.
  • While in line for Otakon, I heard the following phrase.

"You're a 17-year-old, why are you dating the toothless guy who loves Dragon Ball Z?"
  • Hey, it's the evil nazi crab from tales of the blode.
    But seriously, Kamen Rider versus exploding crab hitler is not that high up on the weird scale.
  • "Unfortunately most of the workers there don't read English, and they thought 'Ribbed Latex' was a character from The Last Airbender."
    Since this is in WTF of your day, just want to point out that this is satire. Funny, but still satire. Look at the other stories.
  • Advert is pretty funny too.
  • I, for one, welcome our newradioactive boar overlords.
    On the positive side, I finally know where I can get some green eggs and ham.
  • I go to my friend's list on XBL and see this:

Tentacles & Scott... perhaps the 360 knows more to Scott than we know.
    What theme is that?
  • What theme is that?
    Day theme, I think. I changed mine recently to Scott Pilgrim, so I forgot what I once had.
  • Only in Britan...
  • Only in Britan...
    I suppose having only one fat guy in the background isn't something you'd see in America.
  • I suppose having only one fat guy in the background isn't something you'd see in America.
    Zing!

HEY! WAIT JUST A MINUTE!
  • edited August 2010
    Via LATFH. Not Safe for Almost Anywhere.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Via LTFH.Not Safe for Almost Anywhere.
    She/He should see a doctor about that...
  • Via LATFH.Not Safe for Almost Anywhere.
    I get the feeling that she's just posing. Or maybe that's what I'd like to believe.
  • Over AIM just now:

(6:49:03 PM) Scott Johnson: just got off with my dad

I assure you that this statement is not edited and is taken fully in context.
  • -_- Just got off the phone with my dad.....
  • AIM
    Yeah, serious WTF.