This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What is the most horrifying weapon you can think up?

edited May 2010 in Everything Else
I'm just curious what you guys would consider the most horrifying weapons or just your favorite obscure violence implement. I'll start this off.

A bokuto with a bunch of nails driven through it. Basically an extra heavy wooden training sword with a bunch of spikes instead of a blade, it would be especially bad to get hit with it because of the crushing/puncturing properties, and if it is forceful enough it would cause all kinds of horrible lacerations as well. Bonus points if some of the nails are rusty too.

Comments

• The written word.
  • Fox News.
    Ahahahahahaha, awesome, that is indeed a horrifying weapon.
  • The horrifying visage of your mother in the morning.
  • Weapons are not horrifying. It's what you do with them that's horrifying. Even just a razor blade can to terrible, terrible things.
  • Sorry, I can't show you my most horrifying weapon. I only got my singularity generator on me.
  • Weapons are not horrifying. It's what you do with them that's horrifying. Even just a razor blade can to terrible, terrible things.
    I have some experience with this one, and some are just scarier than others. A kitchen knife can be horrifying, but a push dagger with gut hooks is more terrifying. I have to agree with you though, it's all about the deeds done with the weapon that really count, so you should include the damage/implementation of said weapon.
  • Nuri + sauerkraut.
  • edited May 2010
    Sauerkraut is indeed a powerful substance. I come from a combination of Russian and German families and depending on the individual it has quite devastating effects.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • If you are talking about the most horrifying, as opposed to the most powerful, weapons look no further than the torture implements of the Spanish Inquisition.
  • edited May 2010
    A great public speaker.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited May 2010
    A spiked penis sheath. (Spikes on the outside, though I suppose for you men, the inside would be pretty horrifying.)

I mean that completely seriously. The scary thing is that I didn't just come up with that off the top of my head.
    Nuri + sauerkraut.
    If you think that is bad, definitely don't feed me raw cabbage.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Your mom.
  • The horrifying visage of your mother in the morning.
    Your mom.
    Been there done that, and better too. :P
  • edited May 2010
    lol, yep, that card has been played.

And yes, this is about the scariest most terrifying weapons, not the most powerful.

I'm going to say a crowbar too, because it's heavy, has a hook and can crush skulls. I just wouldn't ever want to get hit by one or have it used on me in any way. You could really use the hook to great effect too, hooking in the collar bone or up under the jaw and pulling someone down.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • Joe Pesci is a pretty horrifying weapon.

Warning: That's pretty brutal.
  • I dunno about the crowbar... I mean, there's a difference between a weapon that is highly effective and a weapon that is horrifying. I think that to be called horrifying, a weapon has to instill horror on its own, not just by how it is used. I mean, I could use a spoon in a horrifying way, but that doesn't make spoons horrifying.
  • edited May 2010
    A version of ebola, modified to be more aggressive, more easily transmissible, extremely resistant to drugs, and for airborne transmission.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Cancer ray.
  • I'm thinking of a biological weapon that is delivered by a spray. Inside are scabies, or some similar burrowing lice. They carry a certain poison or virus that first causes inflammation of the skin, then starts attacking the nerves. To begin with this causes mild itching, but within minutes your victim starts scratching so hard they cause themselves to bleed.

Soon the poison hits the nerve endings, and works its way inside the body. Every nerve in the body sends pain signals to the brain, and nerve impulses from the brain are disrupted, causing random movements that only serve to produce more pain. Your victim lies in this state for many days.

Meanwhile, the lice start devouring your skin and muscles. They don't take all the sustainence for themselves, instead they feed it to your victim via their blood. In this way the body survives far longer than it would normally, by consuming itself in a controlled fashion.

Finally, throughout this entire ordeal your victim's mind is kept aware and in an accelerated state, so time seems to pass overly slowly. In an optimal scenario, they might have many years worth of subjective pain and suffering before dying. I say "they" not "he or she" because this weapon is best used against entire populations. If only one person is inflicted, others may perform a mercy killing. If everyone is equally and concurrently incapacitated this problem shouldn't arise.
  • The Bone Chair
  • A version of ebola
    Ebola is airborne, or at least is readily aerosolized. And as far as I know, there are no drugs that work on it. It's pretty fucking horrifying on its own.
  • Cancer ray.
    Getter Ray.
  • Ebola is airborne, or at least is readily aerosolized. And as far as I know, there are no drugs that work on it. It's pretty fucking horrifying on its own.
    Oh? I was under the impression that it was fluid transmission only. My mistake.
  • Oh? I was under the impression that it was fluid transmission only. My mistake.
    Actually, no, I was wrong. It requires physical contact with an infected patient, their fluids, or anything that has touched their fluids.
  • I think that some objects become far more terrifying simply by who is holding them too...

Luke, that is an amazing idea. How the heck did you think that up?

Also Rust Hurricane followed by stomping your opponent to death.
  • So, I was trying to think up a horrifying act for someone to do in a novel to show just how evil they could be. My final idea was to force a man to rape his own mother or the evil person would kill the mother. Maybe it would be worse to rape his own father. Either way, I don't think it was horrific enough.
  • So, I was trying to think up a horrifying act for someone to do in a novel to show just how evil they could be.
    Read Neuropath. ^_~ The last chapter outlines what you're looking for.
  • edited May 2010
    Scaphism. Also known as "the boats."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2010
    Heheheh, that also is something that I write about. Generally I find it makes things much more unsettling if the character does simple acts of brutality with an extreme air of casualty. IE the character is petting a cat when the detective or whatever comes up to him, at the end of their conversation the evil guy just picks the cat up and breaks its neck without breaking the conversation and tells the person they are talking to that there's no difference between a cat and a person.

There's something that people just find very unsettling about violence portrayed in a way that isn't fetishised or stylized beyond reality. The more you make it seem like just another part of the characters logical mechanical response the more horrifying it becomes, similar to how Rorschach dropped Captain Carnage down an elevator shaft.

It's also the reason that my ex found systema to be so scary. Unlike karate (which terrified her too) it has no ritualization or ceremony to it, it's just beat the hell out of the other guy in as efficient a manner as you can manage.
    Post edited by Sova on