This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help Picking a Router

edited May 2010 in Technology
I ordered a new laptop. It has an Intel Centrino Advanced N 6200 2x2 wireless card in it. I also realized that all my wired stuff is gigabit, but my router isn't. I guess it's time to retire the WRT54G. Searching the Internet for which Gigabit N router is the best. No consensus! Help! Here are some choices.

Netgear Rangemax WNDR3700 Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router
D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router
D-Link DIR-825 Extreme N Wireless Router
Linksys E3000
Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N High Power Router & Access Point WZR-HP-G300NH

My requirements are :

Four Gigabit LAN ports.
Simultaneous N/G/B where N doesn't slow down when G in use. It's acceptable that G slows down to B when B in use, as that is a limitation of the technology.
Supports the maximum speed of that Centrino wireless card in my laptop.
Proper WPA2 and such.
Works reliably, and doesn't flake out.

It would be nice if:

It has one of those USB storage/printer connectors.
It let me create two SSIDs, so I can let visitors have Internet access while keeping them on a separate subnet.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    My requirements are :

Four Gigabit LAN ports.
    Simultaneous N/G/B where N doesn't slow down when G in use. It's acceptable that G slows down to B when B in use, as that is a limitation of the technology.
    Supports the maximum speed of that Centrino wireless card in my laptop.
    Proper WPA2 and such.
    Works reliably, and doesn't flake out.

It would be nice if:

It has one of those USB storage/printer connectors.
    It let me create two SSIDs, so I can let visitors have Internet access while keeping them on a separate subnet.
    Would you like us to get the moon for you as well? How about some plasma from the sun? Oooh! Oooh! Why don't we just toss in a DoDo bird too?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It has one of those USB storage/printer connectors.
    The current version of the Apple AirPort Extreme does those. Probably more expensive than the other options though, and uses Bonjour/AFP so will a hassle to set up in Windows / impossible on Linux?

But I really thought that those features are pretty much standard on any current access point.
  • But I really thought that those features are pretty much standard on any current access point.
    No, they aren't. Also, Apple wifi products don't usuall play nice with anything other than other Apple products (just like anything else apple makes).
  • edited May 2010
    But I really thought that those features are pretty much standard on any current access point.
    No, they aren't. Also, Apple wifi products don't usuall play nice with anything other than other Apple products (just like anything else apple makes).
    OK, I have mostly heard good things about the AirPort Extreme. It did very well in several reviews back when I got it and has been flawless for my home network which has been mixed Apple, Linux and Windows (+Wii, PSP, various other WiFi gadgets). The only caveat is (as I mentioned) AFP/Bonjour if you want to use the attached storage / printer sharing.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited May 2010
    I'd go with one of those D-Links and keep the WRT54G plugged into it to do the G network.
    The E3000 has the separate guest network feature but lacks the file/printer ability.

Edit: Wait, it has a USB port on it but that's file sharing only.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'd go with one of those D-Links and keep the WRT54G plugged into it to do the G network.
    Why? Can't the dual-band simultaneous one do BGN?
  • I'd go with one of those D-Links and keep the WRT54G plugged into it to do the G network.
    Why? Can't the dual-band simultaneous one do BGN?
    I think the Airport is the only one that does G and N at once, in stead of running N until a G connects and slows everything down.
    If you're sure nothing in your house uses G then you can just use that mode and accept the speed cut when guests come round.
  • I think the Airport is the only one that does G and N at once, in stead of running N until a G connects and slows everything down.
    If you're sure nothing in your house uses G then you can just use that mode and accept the speed cut when guests come round.
    That can't be true. Plenty of the routers I researched specifically said they have simultaneous dual-band. You guys definitely aren't helping if you aren't doing at least as much research as I did.
  • Great research Scott. Now try researching what dual band actually does.
  • I've not done any research, and I think I understand what Scott has misunderstood. I think for what you need, you just need two routers.
  • I'm pretty sure having two wifis on one router is just not possible with the cheap wifi hardware that is on the market.
  • edited May 2010
    Some newer 802.11n Wi-Fi routers also allow simultaneous dual band communication with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients. By supplying separate network bandwidth for each of the two types of links, these routers provide maximum flexibility in setting up a home network. For example, older 802.11b/g clients can be set to run on the 2.4 GHz side of a simultaneous dual-band router without impacting the performance of 802.11n clients running at 5 GHz.
    What router actually does this properly?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apparently this ridiculous router is the best, but it costs a fortune.

DIR-855 Xtreme N Duo Media Router
  • Even that one doesn't do everything you want. This one comes closer, though.
    What doesn't it do? The Linksys looks good, though.
  • What doesn't it do? The Linksys looks good, though.
    It still provides only N or G. I'd say you're better off just keeping the WRT54G and plugging it in when you need it.
  • It still provides only N or G. I'd say you're better off just keeping the WRT54G and plugging it in when you need it.
    Why would I have two routers? That's ludicrous and unecessary.
  • Why would I have two routers?
    Simultaneous N/G/B where N doesn't slow down when G in use.
  • Why would I have two routers?
    Simultaneous N/G/B where N doesn't slow down when G in use.
    There are routers that do this.
  • There are routers that do this.
    Which?
  • Even that one doesn't do everything you want. This one comes closer, though.
    What doesn't it do? The Linksys looks good, though.
    the D-link one doesn't let you share a harddrive through the USB port. It's USB port is only for configuring the wifi using some Windows tool.
  • There are routers that do this.
    Which?
    The ones we are discussing.
  • The ones we are discussing.
    Scott. Look up what dual band actually does and stop wasting our time.
  • Scott. Look up what dual band actually does and stop wasting our time.
    Why would say I was wrong? That's ludicrous and unnecessary.
  • The ones we are discussing.
    Scott. Look up what dual band actually does and stop wasting our time.
    Perhaps you did not read my earlier post. I will re-post for your convenience.
    Some newer 802.11n Wi-Fi routers also allow simultaneous dual band communication with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients. By supplying separate network bandwidth for each of the two types of links, these routers provide maximum flexibility in setting up a home network. For example, older 802.11b/g clients can be set to run on the 2.4 GHz side of a simultaneous dual-band router without impacting the performance of 802.11n clients running at 5 GHz.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, I looked into this a while back, and there are types of dual-band router: simultaneous and not. The simultaneous ones broadcast a 5 gHz and 2.4 gHz band, well, simultaneously. Set the 5 gHz band to n-only and the 2.4 to b/g.

The simultaneous dual-band routers are also way more expensive.

The complication is that not all simultaneous and non-simultaneous routers tell you what they are. My D-link router is really more like a selectable single-band router; I can run either 5 gHz or 2.4. If you have ANY b/g devices, those routers are not as useful.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Why would I have two routers? That's ludicrous and unecessary.
    It's also the cheapest, easiest, and fastest way to get where you want to go.
  • I'm thinking I'm going to get this Netgear.

Netgear Rangemax WNDR3700.

It has every single feature on the list. Real simultaneous dual-band, gigabit ethernet, USB storage port. It's a little bit pricy, but Amazon has a good deal on it. Also, while every single router out there has mixed reviews, this has a much better ratio of positive reviews on Newegg and Amazon than the competition.
  • edited May 2010
    Perhaps you did not read my earlier post. I will re-post for your convenience.
    Wow Scott, for someone who knows about technology you can sure miss pretty obvious problems.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2010
    Wow Scott, for someone who knows about technology you can sure miss pretty obvious problems.
    What is it exactly that I missed oh enlightened one?
    Post edited by Apreche on