This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Microsoft @ E3

edited June 2010 in Video Games
I'm legitimately impressed by the cutting in MGS: Rising.

Comments

• Well, that's nice. What happened?
  • Looks like that HALO:Reach game is going to include some really bad space shooting.
  • I'm probably one of the only people who actually cares about ESPN on 360. Cable providers probably not happy.
  • Yeah...I'm pretty sure Microsoft is saying a big fuck you to Nintendo right now.
  • Kinect Sports vs. Wii Sports. Round 1, FIGHT.
  • Kinect Adventures: Now you too can run your own Japanese TV Game show in your own home!
  • Kinect Sports vs. Wii Sports. Round 1, FIGHT.
    I don't like the idea of not holding anything. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why, but I really don't like it.
  • Pretty sure Microsoft could solve the obesity problem by adding achievements to Your Shape
  • New 360 slim with built in Wi-Fi ships today.
    Whoah, didn't see that. I got bored and switched to the World Cup.
  • edited June 2010
    New 360 slim with built in Wi-Fi ships today.
    Whoah, didn't see that. I got bored and switched to the World Cup.
    250 GB hard drive and same price. Oh yeah, 802.11n
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • My only concern with the new "Slim" is, does it catch on fire?
  • edited June 2010
    Pretty sure Microsoft could solve the obesity problem by adding achievements to Your Shape
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a Wii. Girlfriend had mentioned getting a Wii just to get Wii Fit so we could be more active instead of just sitting on our duffs while playing videogames. If Kinect opens at a decent price (read: a C-Note or under, or possibly as high as $150 with a game packed in), then I'm snagging one. Otherwise it's going to be a wait until after the holidays situation.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited June 2010
    Dear Microsoft: Did you guys know how lame your press conference was going to be beforehand? I mean, really? Free 360s for everyone in the audience? Not only does that not make anyone more impressed with what you showed, but now it will forever be known as the Oprah moment.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Dear Microsoft: Did you guys know how lame your press conference was going to be beforehand?
    In what way was it lame?
  • In what way was it lame?
    All the speakers were incredibly wooden. Everything was corporate and boring.
  • I'm probably one of the only people who actually cares about ESPN on 360. Cable providers probably not happy.
    Could this force their hand to finally let me pick the 5 channels out of 60 I actually want for 5/60 the price?
  • edited June 2010
    In what way was it lame?
    They front-loaded the fuck out of that conference. 1/3 of "here are the games you want to see" and then 2/3 of "now we're going to try to sell Kinect to you".

EDIT: Last year's conference was 5x better than this one.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Could this force their hand to finally let me pick the 5 channels out of 60 I actually want for 5/60 the price?
    Not yet. There will be a breaking point. The breaking point is the NFL. They hold all the cards.
  • edited June 2010
    All the speakers were incredibly wooden. Everything was corporate and boring.
    Eh, I don't give a shit about the speakers. To be honest, pretty much all game developer conferences sound pretty much the same.
    They front-loaded the fuck out of that conference. 1/3 of "here are the games you want to see" and then 2/3 of "now we're going to try to sell Kinect to you".
    I missed the MGS stuff, but from what I saw Reach is just a polished Halo 3 and Fable 3 is just Fable 2 with different art. Watching how well Kinetc was able to do body recognition was quite impressive. Do you know how hard that problem is?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Watching how well Kinetc was able to do body recognition was quite impressive. Do you know how hard that problem is?
    I am well aware of how hard body and speech recognition is. And as purely a tech presentation, it is cool. But watching other people is not fun, and I'm still of the opinion that for the most part, motion-control, body and speech recognition, and those kinds of things are solutions looking for problems. That's just me, take it as you will. I'm much more interested in the advancement of games as interactive art rather than games as replacing things you do in real life.
  • I'm much more interested in the advancement of games as interactive art rather than games as replacing things you do in real life.
    How high and mighty of you. Well, I'll leave you to your MW2 and Halo 3 then...
  • Not yet. There will be a breaking point. The breaking point is the NFL. They hold all the cards.
    But (almost) all NFL games are on broadcast TV, not cable. What can Roger Goodell do to the cable companies?
  • But (almost) all NFL games are on broadcast TV, not cable. What can Roger Goodell do to the cable companies?
    Problem #1 is that cable basically is broadcast TV. Almost nobody has an antenna. If I had no cable, I wouldn't have broadcast TV either. I only have broadcast TV because it comes over cable unencrypted, so I don't have to pay for it. Most people who want NFL have to have some sort of cable or dish.

#2 Is non-local games. Most people get just a few games each weekend. For example, my parents in CT get Jets, Giants, Patriots, and usually one more game like Buffalo, Pittburgh, Washington, or Philly. Want to watch more games? Get cable. Want to watch even more games? Want to watch all games? Get a dish.

#3 The NFL Network.
    Boy, am I glad I was lazy and didn't buy a console yet. Then again the profit sharing check is "in the mail"... Not sure if that alone is worth the extra $150 over the arcade. I've already got a hard drive full of XBLA games from before my other XBox died.
  • I hope that new Xbox model means that old ones go down in price. Might actually get an Xbox sometime before next generation of consoles come by.
  • edited June 2010
    Three USB, Network, Aux, HDMI, standard XBox A/V jack, and on-board optical audio. Not bad. I saw something about the unit having a dedicated port that was ready for the Kinect, so I'm assuming it jacks into the Aux port unless an adapter of some sort is being used for USB. I also saw that Gamestop is already taking pre-orders for the Kinect at a price point of $149. Pricing fail on Microsoft's point, unless they're planning on using the bundled packs to drive the sales of the newer hardware.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • If you have an old 360 without the Kinect AUX port, you have to use USB and also plug the Kinect into the wall.
  • edited June 2010
    Thumbs up on Metal Gear and ESPN. Thumbs down on everything else.

EDIT: Fable 3 looks alright.
    Post edited by Railith on