This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Microsoft @ E3

Comments

• Fable 3 looks alright.
    Having not played the other Fables, worth it?
  • Wait, the regular 360 doesn't have built-in Wi-fi?
    The lowest cost ones don't, I think. Possibly the more expensive ones as well.
    None of them do. You have to pay $100 for a wi-fi dongle.
    Oh, cool. Yeah, fun times. So, the slim is apparently a good idea. A good idea in the fact that the original 360 should've been like that as well.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    Wait, the regular 360 doesn't have built-in Wi-fi?
    Oh, cool. Yeah, fun times. So, the slim is apparently a good idea. A good idea in the fact that the original 360 should've been like that as well.
    Slim consoles will always come out after the bulky original versions. The Pii-Wii will probably have the depth of a regular magazine.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • None of them do. You have to pay $100 for a wi-fi dongle.
    That doesn't even make sense.
  • That doesn't even make sense.
    It never did when their competitor's had wireless built in, however people still bought it. I purchased the original Xbox wireless adapter and it works well, however it's only on 802.11b, so I'll have to upgrade eventually.
  • Watching all the gamer commentary about E3 reminded me of one important thing - Gamers, as a group, are a pack of whiny, entitled fuckwits. Jaysus.
  • edited June 2010
    I was very underwhelmed by Microsoft's show. The only thing I'm excited about is Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Linksys wireless router + Open Firmware = Xbox WiFi Dongle with support for 5 devices and a price of $50.
  • Linksys wireless router + Open Firmware = Xbox WiFi Dongle with support for 5 devices and a price of $50.
    Apparently, plugging an ethernet cable from the 360 into a laptop works too.
  • Apparently, plugging an ethernet cable from the 360 into a laptop works too.
    I heard tell, but I never got it to work.
  • Might finally be time to trade my 4 year old, tiny HDD, loud, needs to be turned on for a minute before it actually boots, E-74 error spewing, non-HDMI 360, for the new hotness. Maybe.
  • Might finally be time to trade my 4 year old, tiny HDD, loud, needs to be turned on for a minute before it actually boots, E-74 error spewing, non-HDMI 360, for the new hotness. Maybe.
    See, I don't get this at all - I had a Launch X-box 360, and Never had a single problem with it till my father knocked it on it's side three and a half years later, about two weeks after which, it red-ringed. Microsoft took it under warranty, for free, including giving me free shipping, despite that I bought it from a friend who won it in a competition pre-launch, and they rang me up, and outright offered me a HDMI compatable 360, which I took. Hell, the phone support guy, while he was waiting for some details, just hung out and chatted, geek to geek, and then signed off as thus

"Okay, it looks like it's just about sorted out, scott, there's just one more thing. "
    "What's that?"
    "Have a great day, thanks for your call, and may the force be with you."
    "And with you, sir. You're mighty awesome. Thank you."
  • edited June 2010
    Might finally be time to trade my 4 year old, tiny HDD, loud, needs to be turned on for a minute before it actually boots, E-74 error spewing, non-HDMI 360, for the new hotness. Maybe.
    See, I don't get this at all - I had a Launch X-box 360, and Never had a single problem with it till my father knocked it on it's side three and a half years later, about two weeks after which, it red-ringed. Microsoft took it under warranty, for free, including giving me free shipping, despite that I bought it from a friend who won it in a competition pre-launch, and they rang me up, and outright offered me a HDMI compatable 360, which I took. Hell, the phone support guy, while he was waiting for some details, just hung out and chatted, geek to geek, and then signed off as thus

"Okay, it looks like it's just about sorted out, scott, there's just one more thing. "
    "What's that?"
    "Have a great day, thanks for your call, and may the force be with you."
    "And with you, sir. You're mighty awesome. Thank you."
    My conversations with HPI and Gateway tech support have ended similarly. Tech support done right, for sure.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Has anyone said if the hard drive is easily replaced on one of these things?
  • Has anyone said if the hard drive is easily replaced on one of these things?
    Just as easily as the current ones - Press down latch, pull out old hard drive, plug in new one.
  • edited June 2010
    Does it use the old cartridges or just plain hard drives?
    Never mind. Keep calm, carry on.

This was kinda funny though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Does it use the old cartridges or just plain hard drives?
    Bit of both - I can't say for sure since I've not handled one, but if the past is any indication, plain hard drives in proprietary enclosures. First thing I did with my Xbox back home was flash the hard-drive that came with it to a 250 gig one, and put that one in the enclosure instead.
  • The unboxing there shows that part of one of the side grilles pops off and the HDD cartridge slots in and out of there, so it's obviously upgrade capable. I guarantee you it's just another laptop HDD in a proprietary case and a few fiddly bits of hardware to keep people from (temporarily) swapping in their own cheaper unit.
  • Ah, I posted that back on the other page.
  • As someone living without cable channels I can say I am very excited to have ESPN online on the 360 but really only for Monday Night Football. Football is the only sport that I would watch no matter what team is playing. Baseball I will only watch if it's the Mets, and even if they are on ESPN, I'd rather listen to them on the radio than deal with those announcers.

It's a shame more people don't have antennas, especially when you realize how much money can be saved by pulling in free HD broadcast stations, and replacing your cable channels with internet content.
  • As someone living without cable channels I can say I am very excited to have ESPN online on the 360 but really only for Monday Night Football. Football is the only sport that I would watch no matter what team is playing. Baseball I will only watch if it's the Mets, and even if they are on ESPN, I'd rather listen to them on the radio than deal with those announcers.
    What ISP do you have?
  • edited June 2010
    I just read a more detailed description of the microsoft conference and know exactly why you are asking that question. Horrible move on ESPN's part! I don't get it. Are they charging the ISP to carry their content? Can't they do better with ads to an expanded audience? Hell just allow the common man to pay for that service on his own, but no, it has to be the traditional cable method of "if we make everyone pay for it, we will make tons of money off of the people who dot actually want it.". This is assuming Verizon is being charged to be an ESPN-preferred ISP. If so, every Verizon customer is being taxed to support that.

My parents run a small business and have Verizon DSL. I've been putting it off but I should definitely get their acct #. I'm willing to bet it would allow me to log in.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • ESPN 3(60) has always been that way. If your ISP pays for it, it's free. Otherwise, you have to pay for it yourself. They're not letting you get around this restriction just because you have an XBox. Yes, if you got a login from your parents, it would let you login. I think I'm going to get my parents AT&T U-Verse login to do the same thing.

This kind of thing is exactly why we need net neutrality. ESPN is discriminating based on network. Your visiting from network X? We'll show you this. Visiting from network Y? We show you something different. Not cool.
  • I knew ESPN had always been a pay service, but when I heard the news I figured that XBox Live Gold, being a paid subscription, must have worked out some revenue-sharing to give ESPN a little slice and open up their content to Live subscribers. Foolishness is what I am left with for making such assumptions!
  • I knew ESPN had always been a pay service, but when I heard the news I figured that XBox Live Gold, being a paid subscription, must have worked out some revenue-sharing to give ESPN a little slice and open up their content to Live subscribers. Foolishness is what I am left with for making such assumptions!
    You still have to pay for Netflix separately even if you have Gold. I think the real bullshit is let's say you already have Netflix. However, you don't play games online. Why do you have to have Gold? Your computer does it for free.
  • I think the real bullshit is let's say you already have Netflix. Why do you have to have Gold? Your computer does it for free.
    Because not everyone has a computer hooked up to their TV, not everyone wants to have to hook a computer up to their TV to watch a movie, not everyone wants to have to sit around in front of their monitor or laptop to watch a streaming movie, and not everyone has a massive monitor that's the size of a TV hooked up to their PC. The required Gold subscription to access the streaming content directly on the 360 basically boils down to a convenience fee charged for an extra service if they're not playing games online. What if the user doesn't want to pay the Gold subscription but still want streaming Netflix to the TV? They can either resort to hackery and try to get it to work on the 360 or go get a PS3, Wii, or Roku. No one is forcing them to buy a Gold subscription. Besides, if someone bought a 360 and they're not using it to play the online component of their games, they're totally not getting their money's worth out of it. Sure, ponying up the fifty bones a year sucks, but I'll gladly pay that for a unified, (mostly) well-handled service over the fragmentation of PSN or the craptacular Friend Codes on the Wii.
  • not everyone wants to have to hook a computer up to their TV to watch a movie
    Yet. Watch for a Google TV Netflix partnership. Google TV may change everything (for grandmas and normal people).