This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Saving Money

Comments

• edited July 2010
    1. Drink before you get to the bar.
    2. Go to the bar with the cheapest wings or best nightly specials.
    3. Be smart and play trivia at the bar in hopes of wining free drinks, food and swag.
    4. Learn to LOVE PBR.
    For cheap living, lawn furniture is also an option. As are home-made desks/tables.
    Cinder blocks, milk crates, and plywood are very versatile.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Yeah, for my desk I'll probably do something like that.
    As for couch options, sorry about saying couch when I'm actually meaning a love seat. The living room of the house I live is too small for a big couch. As for the other options the only thing I can get here are bean bags and who at the age of 30 has bean bags in the living room? lol
    I looked at recliners but they are just as expensive as the love seats I'm looking at and they only fit one person.
  • As for the other options the only thing I can get here are bean bags and who at the age of 30 has bean bags in the living room? lol
    A) Awesome people
    B) Broke people

These groups are not mutually exclusive. ~_^
  • Yeah, for my desk I'll probably do something like that.
    As for couch options, sorry about saying couch when I'm actually meaning a love seat. The living room of the house I live is too small for a big couch. As for the other options the only thing I can get here are bean bags and who at the age of 30 has bean bags in the living room? lol
    I looked at recliners but they are just as expensive as the love seats I'm looking at and they only fit one person.
    My friends, who are 28 and 29, have a bean bag in the living room in addition to their couch. The bag can seat 3 comfortably, but can fit 6 or more. We affectionately call it "the nest".
  • Sumo bean bags are more expensive than cheap ones. They are $150 US for each one, and you'll probably need two or three. Even so, that's still less than the price of a couch over here. Also, they are super comfortable, and way classier and more durable than normal shitty bean bags.
  • I debate weekly just ordering a sumo or two.
    For where?!? I've been to your apartment, it seemed perfectly furnished.
  • For where?!? I've been to your apartment, it seemed perfectly furnished.
    On the floor, in front of the couch.
  • On the floor, in front of the couch.
    And occasionally in the bedroom, depending on if we need the extra seating or not in the livingroom.
  • I would podcast from the Sumo.
  • Okay, I guess the type of hippie bean bags they sell here are different. They are in a weird shape and only fit one person. Also they don't get delivered to the stupid city I live in, I would have to go to a hippie fair to get one, and bring it over by car. I don't think it's worth it. I'm thinking of taking a picture of my living room, but it will turn this into a couch and talk trash about my house thread. lol
    Don't we all, don't we all.
  • Don't we all, don't we all.
    No, we don't.
  • Oh! I just realized sumo is the brand that advertises on Maximum PC, that girl makes me wanna order. lol
  • edited July 2010
    I debate weekly just ordering a sumo or two.
    Don't we all, don't we all.
    I do. But my apartment actually needs furnishing.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Oh! I just realized sumo is the brand that advertises on Maximum PC, that girl makes me wanna order. lol
    Interesting. I know about Sumo because PAX owns a whole bunch of them, and I lay on them twice a year.
  • I lay one one quite regularly. They are very, very awesome.
  • I lay one one quite regularly. They are very, very awesome.
    If they were $75, I would get one or two immediately. The $150 makes me hesitate.
  • A true bean bag geek would get it no matter the cost because it's what he wanted!
  • If they were $75, I would get one or two immediately. The $150 makes me hesitate.
    They are surprisingly worth it, and they last a long time.
  • They are surprisingly worth it, and they last a long time.
    Don't tempt me!
  • edited July 2010
    Don't tempt me!
    Dance, My puppet, dance.

But in all honesty, I've heard nothing but good things about them, they're generally tough as iron nails, and I find them ludicrously comfortable, for a beanbag. IF you are looking to get a beanbag, then either go Sumo, or steal their design, and get one made by one of the numerous tailor and alteration shops in new york. Pro-tip, use a really strong zip.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • and get one made by one of the numerous tailor and alteration shops in new york.
    I think the real advantage of the sumo is the actual filling.
  • edited July 2010
    I think the real advantage of the sumo is the actual filling.
    That's true, but they gotta get it from somewhere, and it can't be that hard to find. The question is if you can get it in a small enough amount.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's true, but they gotta get it from somewhere, and it can't be that hard to find. The question is if you can get it in a small enough amount.
    Sumo actually sells the filling for refilling purposes, but it would cost you a hell of a lot to buy enough filling refills to make an entire Sumo. You're better off buying a Sumo and taking the filling out... wait a minute.
  • Sumo actually sells the filling for refilling purposes, but it would cost you a hell of a lot to buy enough filling refills to make an entire Sumo. You're better off buying a Sumo and taking the filling out... wait a minute.
    It's just Virgin Polystyrene beads, Albeit high density ones. You could try Royal Mix, which is shredded foam mixed with virgin poly beads, or you could try to pick up your own virgin poly beads in larger lots. Can't tell you about prices, because I don't know, but it's well possible.
  • edited July 2010
    It's just Virgin Polystyrene beads, Albeit high density ones. You could try Royal Mix, which is shredded foam mixed with virgin poly beads, or you could try to pick up your own virgin poly beads in larger lots. Can't tell you about prices, because I don't know, but it's well possible.
    20 oz. for $20 on Amazon for 100% polystyrene beads.

Sumo is selling 3 cubic feet of polystyrene foam beads, not the same thing, for $50.

http://www.sumolounge.com/beads.php?re=na
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2010
    20 oz. for $20 on Amazon for 100% polystyrene beads.

Sumo is selling 3 cubic feet of polystyrene foam beads, not the same thing, for $50.
    I know sumo sell beads. I know the difference between Sumo's high density Virgin poly beads, regular poly beads, recycled foam and Royal Mix, and about a half dozen other kinds.

Seriously, I'm just throwing shit at the wall here, and seeing what sticks - I could get away with buying a huge amount of beads, and making about four or five huge beanbags, keeping one or two, and then selling the rest, I have the facilities and storage for it, but you don't, so I'm just giving options in case you decide to take that route, and you can't complain you didn't know two months down the line.

My recommendation is to buy Sumo, for you - easier, no worries about making the bags or storage for extra raw materiel, no tailoring fees, and guaranteed quality, nor do you have the problem of that when you're off work, you'd be spending time better spent doing other things on just fart-arsing around making a beanbag chair when you could have bought one.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2010
    I just had a strange thought - why the fuck do I know so much about goddamn beanbag filling?

It is possibly one of the most useful things I've ever learned. Jesus christ, I'm such a goddamn info-nerd.
    Post edited by Churba on