This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Play a game online tonight?

RymRym
edited July 2010 in Video Games
It's rainy tonight, and Emily is out of town. Let's play money making game.

Borderlands, CS, Alien Storm, or Civ?

Comments

• I really like Alien Storm (and I have none of those games). I get out of work around 6, which would be 9 your time. You still going to be playing 'round then?
  • Alien Storm is the old Genesis game. I've already beaten Alien Swarm on normal. It's actually a relatively difficult game if not everybody has skills. It also only has one campaign. I'd gladly play it once or twice more on harder difficulties, but not if my teammates suck. I vote Borderlands.
  • I am stuck at work switching out a switch ^_^ depending on how it goes till at least 7 probably till 8. At that time I can probably play some games! I'm sure we can get some people for Borderlands or Civ pretty easily. (I.E. I am totally up for some 4 Player Borderlands or conversely I can probably get Bruce to Drop whatever he is doing to play Civ IV)
  • CS and Alien Storm are the only games out of the above four that I have, and I'd gladly play either.
  • I'm playing the Make a Video Game game.

“Talent is nothing, knowledge is nothing, dedication is everything”
  • I have to work a 6th day of mandatory OT *mumble*mumble*StarCraft2*mumble*mumble* and I'm out at 8 Pacific. I'm assuming you old people will be asleep by then! =/
  • I'm thinking CS until Cremlian is home, then Borderlands.
  • CS and Alien Storm are the only games out of the above four that I have, and I'd gladly play either.
  • Also, though I wouldn't be able to buy it until after Monday, is Borderlands worth it? I've heard mixed reviews.
  • I have the last 3 games. I'd like to play some cs. ProfPangloss has a private server.
  • ProfPangloss has a private server.
    That was pretty boss last time.
    Yes it was. It will be better this time because he has a better computer and gungame.
  • gungame.
    I've gotten real good at gungame. You'd best watch out.
    Yes it was. It will be better this time because he has a better computer and gungame.
    Yeah, we can definitely throw down some GunGame. Server details are the same - 98.113.169.73 (The Iron Hammer Projekt), password ThorAlmighty. Also, my wireless connection is better this time around, so connection problems shouldn't be as rampant.
  • gungame.
    I've gotten real good at gungame. You'd best watch out.
    Damn son, them be fightin' words. ;-)
  • We've been practising on the server. We know the maps.
  • I'm most likely off to see Inception tonight, but if I get back in time, trust you me: AtariHawk will be Borderlands-bound.
  • I promise not to use sniper mode on my mouse. I've been kicked from several servers for my uncannily accurate auto-sniping.
  • I promise not to use sniper mode on my mouse. I've been kicked from several servers for my uncannily accurate auto-sniping.
    You will never learn your lesson, will you? Fine, I may have to make an appearance...

What's sniper mode? Does it just lower your dpi?
  • I'm game for AS, and DEFCON if anyone else wants to. I'm terrible (due to lack of practice) at CS, but I'm game for that too. Expect friend reqs from WindUpBird; I'm in the FRFC group already.
  • Sniper mode is a custom driver shift in several mouse configs. It raises the resolution, increases straightline smoothing (allows for better sweeping motions, e.g., head tracking), and lowers the sensitivity. The end result is that, while zoomed in, I "lock on" in normal mode, then flip to sniper mode and track your head while continuing to fire.

I have to tweak it a bit still. I want to also use it sometimes with the AUG, but the sensitivity is a little too low (players could move faster than I could track them at short range).

The best part is that, once I have the time to set it up, I can have multiple "modes" tied to each game I play, all stored in the mouse itself.

(The real best part is that, so long as a game's lowest sensitivity setting is a 1:1 (non-boosted) mapping of mouse input, my mouse will have the same effective sensitivity in ALL games I play). Borderlands feels like CS in terms of the rate of movement in my view.
  • edited July 2010
    You will never learn your lesson, will you? Fine, I may have to make an appearance...
    7.62 Accuracy international Arctic Warfare Magnum, anti-freezing bolt, 5-25x56 Schmidt and bender variable scope, adjustable bipod, Monopod, adjustable cheek pad and folding polymer stock, 60 degree bolt throw, fixed external extractor and internal ejector, 6.6 MM of firing pin travel, free-floating stainless steel barrel with a 305MM twist AKA 1 in 12 inches, Two stage trigger 4.4 to 2.2 pounds, very crisp. British army Variant. Wonderful little rifle, made my first eight hundred yard shot on one.

I think you might have been looking for the AW50, though, for future reference.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Rym, what mouse do you use? I'm going to be playing (and hopefully getting better at) many more games on my PC, and I could use something better than the $20 Windows Optical Explorer I have. I never bought into the gaming mouse thing, but it sounds like a modest one and a Happy Hacking Keyboard could make my computer gaming experience a lot better.
  • Rym, what mouse do you use?
    The SteelSeries Xai after trying it at PAX.
  • (The real best part is that, so long as a game's lowest sensitivity setting is a 1:1 (non-boosted) mapping of mouse input, my mouse will have the same effective sensitivity in ALL games I play). Borderlands feels like CS in terms of the rate of movement in my view.
    I'm surprised you didn't pick the sniper class (hunter)
  • Well anyway. My server's up and I'm on Steam (ProfPangloss). Poke me or something if you want to play.
  • Happy Hacking Keyboard could make my computer gaming experience a lot better.
    I have two happy hacking keyboards, one at home and one at work. It is an excellent keyboard in terms of durability, ease of cleaning, awesome keys, etc.

However, do not kid yourself. This is not a keyboard for gaming, it is a keyboard for vim. There's a reason it replaces caps lock with control, and moves the esc key into a much closer position, it is for keyboard shortcutting.

For gaming it is sub-optimal. Most games have default keyboard configurations that assume default keyboards. You will have to customize the keys for every game, and for some games you won't find a perfect setup. Also, the lack of a numpad is a serious problem in many games, like Civ, so you have to buy a separate numpad. Also, if there's a game that requires some F-keys, it's a really big pain, a lot of old DOS games use them a lot. Don't even get me started if you have to use PgUp/PgDn, etc. in a game.

Granted, I play a lot of fpses with the keyboard just find. If you're just doing a WASD, there's not much difference. I still have to do some customizing, but it works. Still, it is far from optimal. I wish I could switch it out for a different keyboard just when gaming is happening.
  • I'm surprised you didn't pick the sniper class (hunter)
    I wanted to do something different. Plus, the Siren is really fun. I run up fast and invisible, smack you in the back for a zillion damage, unload my pistol into your head, stick a grenade to you, and then run away again (fast and invisible). ;^)
  • I wish I could switch it out for a different keyboard just when gaming is happening.
    A co-worker has two USB keyboards plugged in. One happy hacking and one split. He uses the former when he's on the command line/vim, and the latter when he's typing an email. Works wonderfully.