This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Play a game online tonight?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I wanted to do something different. Plus, the Siren is really fun. I run up fast and invisible, smack you in the back for a zillion damage, unload my pistol into your head, stick a grenade to you, and then run away again (fast and invisible). ;^)
    Yea I'm not sure which class I'll play tonight, my hunter or brick... because Brick's (who I named Brickhouse) berzerker power is TOTALLY awesome to use.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • This is not a keyboard for gaming, it is a keyboard for vim. There's a reason it replaces caps lock with control, and moves the esc key into a much closer position, it is for keyboard shortcutting.
    The best option there is a custom keypad just for games, but they're all over the place in terms of usability and quality...

I also had an idea! I'm going to set up a camera and record what my hands look like when I'm playing FPSs.
  • ...custom keypad just for games...
    Suggestions:
    Belkin N52te - I had an original Nostromo N52 pad and used it until it fell apart, but it took a beating before it gave up the ghost. The old model would auto-load your saved profiles but required its software to be installed on the host PC. This one will save your profiles in on-board memory once the profiles are set up. Amazon link

Saitek Cyborg Command Unit - Can't find this one on Saitek's websites anymore, so I'm betting it's discontinued. Very similar to the N52. Doesn't auto-load profiles when plugged in, no on-board storage, requires software to be installed on the host PC. Amazon link
    Logitech G13 - Has on-board memory like the N52te as well as more programmable keys. Has a mini-screen that can be programmed to display info, but that feature strikes me as pretty useless. Also costs more than the N52te. Amazon link

If I had to go with one today, I'd probably spend the extra cash and get the Logitech unit. The hand rest on the Belkin wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world, and it appears they didn't redesign it for the n52te.
  • Hmmm... Those pads look pretty cool and they are not expensive.
  • I'm not really a fan of those gaming one-hand keyboard things. In theory they could work out well, but every time I've tried a demo unit, it has sucked.
  • Anyone up for some Alien Swarm? Add me on Steam @WaveyGraveyPlay
  • I also almost forgot - it's not a separate keypad, but there's also the SteelSeries Merc Stealth, which is basically the keyboard with the gaming keypad stuck on the left side. Not that useful for southpaws, but still an option if you've got the desk space. You can get 'em cheaper from Newegg than you can from Amazon.
  • I'm gonna play some CS soon. ^_^

98.113.169.73 (The Iron Hammer Projekt), password ThorAlmighty.
  • edited July 2010
    My mic got stuck on rick roll while I was trying to talk. I tried to restart the game and steam crashed. It forced me to install an update for counter-strike and the servers were busy. Then, when I finally got it I didn't have the same version as the server so I couldn't get in. The program Scott was asking about is HLSS or Half-life Sound Selector.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I'm a few minutes away from being able to go home :-(
  • Missed the movie because of a slow waitress. So I'm ready for Borderlanding and/or Alien Swarming.
  • Alright, that was some sweet CS:S. I'll work on the server configs and such, so things should be smoother next time.
  • The spawn camping actually ended up becoming really fun.
  • Missed the movie because of a slow waitress. So I'm ready for Borderlanding and/or Alien Swarming.
    When you're in a hurry ask for the check while you are still eating. We have learned this lesson the hard way.
    When you're in a hurry ask for the check while you are still eating. We have learned this lesson the hard way.
    They lost our order, so after 25 minutes we asked where the food was. It was the start of the meal that was the problem.
  • They lost our order, so after 25 minutes we asked where the food was. It was the start of the meal that was the problem.
    As soon as I realize that my my order has been lost, I just leave.
  • They lost our order, so after 25 minutes we asked where the food was. It was the start of the meal that was the problem.
    As soon as I realize that my my order has been lost, I just leave.
    We discussed it, but we didn't want to drive 20 minutes to our next dining choice.
  • We discussed it, but we didn't want to drive 20 minutes to our next dining choice.
    Ah CITIES.
  • So, I just made some changes to my server, including map voting and spawn protection. If anyone wants to play, let me know.
  • I am jonesing for some more Borderlands.
    Maybe later tonight. (fix you're mic :-p)
    Maybe later tonight. (fix you're mic :-p)
    It wasn't mine. I used the physical mute button on the cord except when I was talking, specifically to rule out that it was me :D
  • edited July 2010
    It wasn't mine. I used the physical mute button on the cord except when I was talking, specifically to rule out that it was me :D
    That's strange because when I heard the static your mic symbol would be on the screen... (and I was literally in a room with all the fans off and the sound coming trough my headphones.)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It wasn't mine. I used the physical mute button on the cord except when I was talking, specifically to rule out that it was me :D
    That's strange because when I heard the static your mic symbol would be on the screen... (and I was literally in a room with all the fans off and the sound coming trough my headphones.)
    Borderlands has some terrible mic support. I always have problems with other people's mics, things which never happen in other games.
  • It wasn't mine. I used the physical mute button on the cord except when I was talking, specifically to rule out that it was me :D
    Were you also hearing the static? All three of us heard it. If it wasn't cause by you, you would have heard it as well.
  • Borderlands has some terrible mic support. I always have problems with other people's mics, things which never happen in other games.
    Back when I played Borderlands, the group I played with setup a ventrillo server to do all the mic chat through. I think the terrible mic support is because they are using gamespy. I still have no idea why they didn't just use Steamworks.
  • I still have no idea why everyone doesn't just use Steamworks.
    Also, we tried to use Skype alongside borderlands, but we got the mic coming through twice. How do you turn off the mic support in Borderlands, which is seemingly automatic?
  • I still have no idea whyeveryone doesn'tjust use Steamworks.
    Also, we tried to use Skype alongside borderlands, but we got the mic coming through twice. How do you turn off the mic support in Borderlands, which is seemingly automatic?
    If I remember correctly there was a way to shut it off, it might require changing something in a .ini file somewhere. It was that or just have everyone turn their mic volume down to nothing in the sound options of the game. Then it's still happening, but you can't hear it.
  • edited July 2010
    From Borderlands forum.
    To disable voice chat:
    ---------------------
    Within WillowEngine.ini:

Search for "bHasVoiceEnabled" and you should come across the following line:
    Quote:
    bHasVoiceEnabled=True
    Change to FALSE.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I also had an idea! I'm going to set up a camera and record what my hands look like when I'm playing FPSs.
    Did you do this? Where can we see it?