This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Masters Thesis Game

2»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    One of the hardest, but most rewarding, courses I took as an undergrad was a Game Theory course offered by the economics department. The math behind that shit gets serious real fast.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Actually, if you'd like to talk about it publicly, I think we could put together an interesting show. Few people think about game design from an academic perspective.
    Sure I wouldn't mind, it'd probably be good practice before I have to present it so I can complete my degree.
    Your game is really getting somemajorpimpageon the interwebs.
    Yes, I called in some favors... well not so much favors as asked really nicely.
  • One of the hardest, but most rewarding, courses I took as an undergrad was a Game Theory course offered by the economics department. The math behind that shit gets serious real fast.
    But it must work, look how well you did at Power Grid. Oh wait...
  • One of the hardest, but most rewarding, courses I took as an undergrad was a Game Theory course offered by the economics department. The math behind that shit gets serious real fast.
    Game Theory != Game studies
  • The math behind that shit gets serious real fast.
    Yeah, and it's not the kind of math I enjoy personally. Discrete math and series just don't excite me the way diffeq and calculus do.
    Game Theory != Game studies
    Truth.
  • edited January 2011
    One of the hardest, but most rewarding, courses I took as an undergrad was a Game Theory course offered by the economics department. The math behind that shit gets serious real fast.
    But it must work, look how well you did at Power Grid. Oh wait...
    First off, it was my first time playing the game. Second, you only beat me by approximately $20. Next time, expect a different outcome.
    Yeah, and it's not the kind of math I enjoy personally. Discrete math and series just don't excite me the way diffeq and calculus do.
    The majority of game theory is calculus based, at least when you approach the fundamental math behind calculating difficult equilibriums.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Truth.
    I do feel that the two should be much more intertwined than they are, however. Game development doesn't need it, nor does conceptual design, but proper game design could really benefit from mathematical analysis.
  • First off, it was my first time playing the game. Second, you only beat me by approximately $20. Next time, expect a different outcome.
    Next time I won't hold back. Aw shit.
  • Second, you only beat me by approximately $20. Next time, expect a different outcome.
    Scott often will use the rubberband mechanic too frequently where even with diminishing returns it is lucrative to remain the frontrunner.
  • edited January 2011
    Truth.
    I do feel that the two should be much more intertwined than they are, however. Gamedevelopmentdoesn't need it, nor does conceptual design, but proper gamedesigncould really benefit from mathematical analysis.
    It's not really applicable for video games as their state space is infinitely larger than the games which can be analyzed reasonably (without approximations). However, restricted state space mediums such as board games are a different matter. Also, you gotta make a game entertaining, which is more design/artsy-fartsy stuff.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Scott often will use the rubberband mechanic too frequently where even with diminishing returns it is lucrative to remain the frontrunner.
    I actually stayed the front runner most of the game, and only rubber banded when I needed to buy a power plant.
  • Truth.
    I do feel that the two should be much more intertwined than they are, however. Gamedevelopmentdoesn't need it, nor does conceptual design, but proper gamedesigncould really benefit from mathematical analysis.
    It's not really applicable for video games as their state space is infinitely larger than the games which can be analyzed reasonably (without approximations). However, restricted state space mediums such as board games are a different matter. Also, you gotta make a game entertaining, which is more design/artsy-fartsy stuff.
    Also you have to remember that while you might find an optimal strategy in a game like Counter Strike, for how to best achieve an objective, it is also completely dependent on the player being able to carry out the strategy. Which is to say that there is also a skill element in video game, not just of the player but also of his opponents.
  • Wanted to thank everyone who play tested the game, and played this version and filled out the survey, it was all a huge help. I have so many survey results that there is no way I'm going to be able to even think of using them all.