This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Gah! Since when can you get 16 GB of memory or 3 TB of HDD for $100! You can get 4 GB memory for $20! NewEgg Deal Today
  • The MSI P67A-G43 (B3) is on sale today for $99 after mail-in. Is there any difference between it and the MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
  • The MSI P67A-G43 (B3) is on sale today for $99 after mail-in.
    $109.99 after mail-in rebate card
    Give or take a tenner.
  • The MSI P67A-G43 (B3) is on sale today for $99 after mail-in.
    $109.99 after mail-in rebate card
    Give or take a tenner.
    NewEgg Deal Today
    Reading is fun!
  • I think it's funny how they call it "Military Class".
  • edited September 2011
    Reading is fun!
    Except that it doesn't say that on the page you linked. The one I looked at, the one with the $109,99 price after rebate.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Reading is fun!
    Except that it doesn't say that on the page you linked. The one I looked at, the one with the $109,99 price after rebate.
    If you read the specific text of the post in context, the meaning is clear. The preceding post links to a sale, and then the actual post is asking what the difference is between the two products. Note that the hyperlinked text is not "is on sale today" - which would be a link to the sale - the name of the product is linked, so the link is a link to the product, not the sale.
    I suggest that you:
    Read, comprehend, post.
  • I just ordered my computer parts from Amazon! They're all "Shipping soon"!
    *SQUEEEE*
  • I suggest that you:
    Read, comprehend, post.
    Translation: NewEgg has its flaws. What fucking company does not list what's on sale when looking at the product. Apparently Newegg. And context would've told nothing, cosmicenema talked about RAM and HDDs. Not motherboards, so I did not presume those were on sale. No sense in looking at sales on Newegg for me, so I don't.

In case it's still unclear, you're wrong.
  • I want a wireless router for personal/home use, but having never bought one before, I don't know what I should be looking for and so I'm suffering from the paralysis of choice. Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations for what I should get? I'm expecting 3-5 people to be using it most of the time.
  • edited September 2011
    Translation: NewEgg has its flaws. What fucking company does not list what's on sale when looking at the product. Apparently Newegg.
    The reasoning behind it is obvious. The point of the sales is to influence people to buy things they might not otherwise buy. On the other hand, if someone is looking at a product page already, then they've already got a decent chance of buying that product and so it's better for Newegg not to tell them there's a sale.
    And context would've told nothing, cosmicenema talked about RAM and HDDs. Not motherboards, so I did not presume those were on sale. No sense in looking at sales on Newegg for me, so I don't.
    Except that cosmicenema said "NewEgg Deal Today" and then Vhdblood mentioned a specific product being on sale. I think the connection there is pretty damn obvious.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2011
    On the other hand, if someone is looking at a product page already, then they've already got a decent chance of buying that product and so it's better for Newegg not to tell them there's a sale.
    Not really. If I'm looking at a product page I want to know details, as to compare. Most products I look at I do not buy, putting the note that "HEY, THIS IS ON SALE" (like every other webstore I've used, ex. Steam) is an extra detail, and one that makes it more likely that the item gets bought because it will compare more favourably than without the sale note on there.
    I think the connection there is pretty damn obvious.
    Nope.jpg
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I want to upgrade my laptop's graphics card and processor. Any recommendations on how to not fuck it up?
  • edited September 2011
    I want to upgrade my laptop's graphics card and processor. Any recommendations on how to not fuck it up?
    Don't. Laptops can't really be upgraded. Even when they can be, it isn't worth it. If you want the ability to upgrade, you should have gotten a desktop. Otherwise, just buy a new laptop. You might argue that you need more power, but can't afford a new laptop. Well, if you can't afford a new laptop, then you can't afford to break the one you have, can you? That would be devastating. Therefore, you can't afford to risk destroying it by attempting to upgrade it.

The only parts of a laptop a normal person should try to upgrade/replace are disk drives, ram, and batteries. Maybe broken keyboards or LCD screens if you must, and you have instructions.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I want to upgrade my laptop's graphics card and processor. Any recommendations on how to not fuck it up?
    It's scenarios such as yours that made me decide to go with the "cheapest laptop that does what I need" and "big fancy honking desktop" scenario. My laptop is not much more than a netbook on steroids, but it does everything I want out of a machine that I only use while traveling and sitting on the couch. Everything else I do on my much more powerful and more expensive desktop.

I'd argue that you probably could also get a cheap laptop or netbook and a really badass desktop for less than the price of a high-end laptop and that this scenario may be more practical than the high-end laptop for most people.
  • I have taken your advice and am going to build a desktop. Newegg away!~ *pshoooooo*
  • Any recommendations on how to not fuck it up?
    Buy a new laptop. DONE.
  • edited October 2011
    How is it going fellow geeks? I need to get a new monitor and right now I'm down to 2 choices. Either a great TN gaming panel, the BenQ GL2430 or the cheapest IPS panel available LG ips236v . I don't have money to get a good IPS panel, and that is why it is not a viable choice. I did some research and the LG ips236v doesn't have a very good response, so it ghosts a little bit in fast sequences in FPS games. The only reason I'm considering getting this is because I'm not a heavy FPS gamer, I do a lot more RTS and side scrolling games witch are my real passion. Here are the official websites links: IPS236v BenQ GL2430
    Edit: I just found out the BenQ doesn't have an HDMI conector, so I might go for the LG E2360 if I decide on a TN panel.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • edited October 2011
    I need to get a new monitor
    In before Scott says Ultrasharp.

With that out of the way, I've heard decent things about the 2360, but I can't say from personal experience.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2011
    I need to get a new monitor
    In before Scott says Ultrasharp.
    I thought I was pretty clear on the money thing lol. This is how much an Ultrasharp goes for here R$1.700,00 which is about US$850,00. Except I get payed in R$ and that makes it even more expensive!
  • I thought I was pretty clear on the money thing lol.
    You thought you were, but Scott has pretty selective reading when it comes to monitor requirements. All he sees is "I need a monitor." :P
  • I thought I was pretty clear on the money thing lol. This is how much an Ultrasharp goes for here R$1.700,00 which is about US$850,00. Except I get payed in R$ and that makes it even more expensive!
    That's ridiculous. The reason the Ultrasharp is so great is because it's a $1000 value for about $500. Only the stupid Apple monitor costs that much money over here. How much do they charge for the Apple monitor by you?
  • How much do they charge for the Apple monitor by you?
    Fuck Apple. R$3.599,00 about US$1.800,00. I still need a monitor.
  • How much do they charge for the Apple monitor by you?
    Fuck Apple. R$3.599,00 about US$1.800,00. I still need a monitor.
    At those kind of crazy prices, even buying a cheap monitor is going to cost you too much money. You'll end up paying $400 for a cheap $200 piece of crap. Figure out how much it will cost to ship a monitor from me to you. It may actually be less expensive for me to buy a monitor from Newegg or Dell and mail it to you than for you to just buy one from a store.
  • Beware customs.
  • edited October 2011
    I appreciate it but it doesn't help. Custom's tax is 60%, and shipping overseas is never cheap. I'm considering putting off buying the monitor for a few months and saving for the Ultrasharp here. But I still think it's a lot of money for a monitor. I might just get the LG IPS236v. I can get it for R$546,00, pretty reasonable.
  • Beware customs.
  • I appreciate it but it doesn't help. Custom's tax is 60%, and shipping overseas is never cheap. I'm considering putting off buying the monitor for a few months and saving for the Ultrasharp here. But I still think it's a lot of money for a monitor. I might just get the LG IPS236v. I can get it for R$546,00, pretty reasonable.
    That one costs $204 US on amazon.com.
  • Yes, about US$270,00 here, close enough. All I have to do now is decide.