This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• Yes, about US$270,00 here, close enough. All I have to do now is decide.
    Move.
  • That one costs $204 US on amazon.com.
    Must not purchase...must save money...monitor I have is perfectly functional.
    You don't want it anyway. It's one of those 1080p monitors. When I see a 1080p monitor that tells me some company took leftover small television LCD screens and made monitors out of them. Computer monitors are supposed to be higher resolution than TVs. For example, imagine trying to edit a 1080p video if your screen is 1080p. No room for the editing tools! Or imagine trying to play an RTS with way too much info on the screen, resolution is not high enough to fit all of it with legible text. I highly recommend getting a monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio, not 16:9.

Then again, if you are a poor college student where your monitor is your TV, then 16:9 monitor can be advantageous.
    You don't want it anyway. It's one of those 1080p monitors. When I see a 1080p monitor that tells me some company took leftover small television LCD screens and made monitors out of them. Computer monitors are supposed to be higher resolution than TVs. For example, imagine trying to edit a 1080p video if your screen is 1080p. No room for the editing tools! Or imagine trying to play an RTS with way too much info on the screen, resolution is not high enough to fit all of it with legible text. I highly recommend getting a monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio, not 16:9.

Then again, if you are a poor college student where your monitor is your TV, then 16:9 monitor can be advantageous.
    I've been using a 1080P monitor for several years now. Maybe it's a disadvantage for editing 1080P video, but I've never done it so no problem. As for RTS's, you're just wrong, they're perfectly fine in 16:9. For watching videos on my computer they're better cause they don't have wasted space in the form of black bars. And I think FPS's have an advantage due to the wider aspect ratio.
  • For watching videos on my computer they're better cause they don't have wasted space in the form of black bars.
    People always think black bars are a negative. They are a positive. Would you rather have your movie stretched out?

For games, no matter the genre, all that really matters is total number of pixels. 1800p = 2,073,600 pixels. 24" Ultrasharp = 2,280,000 pixels. 200,000 more pixels means that much more information on the screen. That's all there is to it. In FPS the size of the monitor means nothing. All that matters is your FOV setting. In source engine games they let you set it between 75 and 90 degrees. In Quake you used to be able to set it to whatever you wanted, even 360 degrees.
  • People always think black bars are a negative. They are a positive. Would you rather have your movie stretched out?
    Don't get me wrong, if black bars are necessary to achieve the correct aspect ratio, I'm all about the black bars. I just like having the correct ratio and no wasted screen.
    All that matters is your FOV setting. In source engine games they let you set it between 75 and 90 degrees. In Quake you used to be able to set it to whatever you wanted, even 360 degrees.
    I didn't know that was adjustable. Neat.
  • I'm still using this 22 inch 16:10 1680x1015 monitor that I got a couple years back for Christmas. It's some shitty off-brand by the looks of it but it works just fine. I'll probably buy a decent 24 inch when I can afford it, but I don't know if I can afford an ultrasharp any time soon. I'm pretty sure I remember a decent IPS monitor coming out a few months ago that was only $300-something.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2011
    Fisheye Quake
    I played Quake 1 and Quake 2 mods online with an FOV between 130 and 155 depending on what class I was. I trained myself to deal with the distortion, and kicked many an ass.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • 1000 degrees looks fantastic.
  • edited October 2011
    Great, I have no idea of what to do now. I might save a couple of months and spend the ludicrous R$1.700,00 Reais on a monitor. I'm not poor, obviously, but I have a sense of how much things should cost.

Conclusion: At the end, I just got something cheap, fuck Dell and fuck apple for not being affordable.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I'm trying to take advantage of a few deals today, and I've put together this build for a gaming rig. I'm not looking to run the most graphically-intensive games at max settings, just to be able to at least play most games at a playable level. At the very least, I plan on buying the case today, as it's on sale, but I'm tempted to wait to see if Monday brings any better deals (since I failed and missed the sale on the processor this morning). Any thoughts?
  • edited November 2011
    I've had trouble with rosewill products, and as far as I can tell, they're newegg's no name brand. I think this is the one I have and its probably more reliable and not much more expensive.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I've had trouble with rosewill products, and as far as I can tell, they're newegg's no name brand. I think this is the one I have and its probably more reliable and not much more expensive.
    Yeah, Rosewill is a brand Newegg puts on OEM crap it has lying around. I never buy it unless I really don't care about quality.

• I've had trouble with rosewill products, and as far as I can tell, they're newegg's no name brand. I think this is the one I have and its probably more reliable and not much more expensive.
    Ah, Asus I like (my laptop is an Asus, serves me very well), so I've no problem dropping an extra ten bucks on that. I've run this by several other people, and the consensus seems to be that the video card isn't going to cut it for gaming; I'm not well versed in the capabilities of cards, but this tier seemed to have enough reviewers claiming that it would work that I tentatively picked one in the GTX 550 Ti series. I'd really rather not drop the ~$100 to go up another tier, but if the 550 just won't cut it for gaming, I might have to. Is the difference really that dramatic?

• edited February 2012
    So, I've decided that when I can get some money together, I'm dumping Mac and building a PC. The thing is, I've never built a computer before and wanted to run my list by people with experience: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o12WiKF0y7BOy2B5UduNy6yWTVwAS8mpQX6pMj0DX3A/edit

Monitors seem like something I would be better off looking at in person, rather than chancing something sight unseen online. In addition, I have to upgrade to CS 6 in order to get a Windows license. Does a build like this seem appropriate?
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • I've had reasonable luck with Rosewill products, but they're always really basic things like external hard drive enclosures (to turn your spare hard drive lying around into a USB drive, or what have you). Not sure I'd trust it with anything more complicated.
  • You can get a larger capacity hard drive for the same price. It's also a WD black rather than a green so that means it is a more performance-class drive.
  • You can get a larger capacity hard drive for the same price. It's also a WD black rather than a green so that means it is a more performance-class drive.
    Thanks.

• I have an Antec Three Hundred case. It's definitely a solid case, don't get me wrong - It's cool and relatively quiet. But it's kind of a pain in the ass to work with, especially when installing or replacing hard drives. I'd recommend looking a little deeper than the Newegg #1 featured case for something a little easier to work with.
  • I have an Antek P180-Mini which is quite easy to work with and very quiet. That said, working in computer repair has lead me to be able to scratch myself in places not previously possible.
  • I have an Antec Three Hundred case. It's definitely a solid case, don't get me wrong - It's cool and relatively quiet. But it's kind of a pain in the ass to work with, especially when installing or replacing hard drives. I'd recommend looking a little deeper than the Newegg #1 featured case for something a little easier to work with.
    I believe the Antec 302 he has there resolved some of those problems.

• edited February 2012
    I believe the Antec 302 he has there resolved some of those problems.
    Didn't notice that. You're probably right.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I'm looking at geting a new PC. I'm not about building one. I'm getting pre-built. Does anyone have any good suggestions for PC's around 1000$?
  • Eh.. Dells are OK. That's what I have at work.
  • Eh.. Dells are OK. That's what I have at work.
    Get the business model (Optiplex) then add an awesome video card.
  • Apparently, their customer service is usually pretty good. At the least, consumerist seems to like them.
  • Change your mind and build one.
  • Check if there are any computer hardware stores that will build the PC for you. NCIX up here in Canada offers this service for $50.
  • Newegg probably also had good pre-built computers? I wouldn't know, but I can assume.