This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movie suggestions for the last couple of days of class.

edited August 2010 in Movies
I'm trying to come up with a few more movies to show for my last couple of days of class. Preferably something I can relate to an artist. Examples:

The Dark Crystal: Jim Henson, Frank oz, and more importantly for me, Brain Froud.
Spirited Away: Hiyao Miyazaki (or anything by Ghibli really.)

If I can get ideas for non-animated movies, that'd be eve better.
Fail me not, geeks!

Comments

• What is the age group?
  • Secret of Kells
  • What is the age group?
    Look like kids judging by what he has so far. Secret of NIMH for Don Bluth?
  • Se7en.
  • I hated Spirited Away. >.<
  • Se7en.
    Ebola Syndrome.
  • I hated Spirited Away. >.<</p>
    You're not a human being.
  • edited August 2010
    The age groups are Jr. High and High school.
    I don't have a copy of Kells, but that may have been a good one.
    Rym, slap yourself for that suggestion.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Jr. High and High school.
    The Sandlot
  • Jr. High and High school.
    The Sandlot
    Couldn't tie that into art really well.
  • Secret of Kells
    Jim Henson's the Story Teller: Episodes are shorter then a full length movie with an easy to grasp moral, and they've probably never been exposed to it.
  • You're not a human being.
    Like you are.
  • First person to suggest Urotsukidouji gets a cock punch.
  • Secret of Kells
    Jim Henson's the Story Teller: Episodes are shorter then a full length movie with an easy to grasp moral, and they've probably never been exposed to it.
    Not bad. And I have all of those too.
  • I would say Pan's Labyrinth, but that may be too violent for them.
  • I would say Pan's Labyrinth, but that may be too violent for them.
    Yes very. However, Hellboy/Hellboy 2 would bring up a good discussion about Del Toro as an artist.
  • Yes very. However, Hellboy/Hellboy 2 would bring up a good discussion about Del Toro as an artist.
    Yeah. That is true. Hellboy 2 was very fun to watch in regards to the underground "other" world. It left me wanting to know more about the history of other world.
  • Yes very. However, Hellboy/Hellboy 2 would bring up a good discussion about Del Toro as an artist.
    Yeah. That is true. Hellboy 2 was very fun to watch in regards to the underground "other" world. It left me wanting to know more about the history of other world.
    Read all about it.

Amazon link
    More Amazon links (get the library editions)
  • Um, A Nightmare Before Christmas? Big Fish?
  • Read all about it.
    More Amazon links(get the library editions)
    Sweet. I've been looking for a new graphic novel to read. I just forget to look.

As for Lovecraft, it's not my priority. If I were to read another book-book, I really need to read The Warrior Prophet. >.>
  • edited August 2010
    MirrorMask?
    It was an OK movie, but I don't think the students would like it.
    Um, A Nightmare Before Christmas? Big Fish?
    They've all seen NBC, but it might not be a bad idea, with Burton and the little puppet things as a focus.
    I won't watch Big Fish again, let alone in front of a group of students. While a great movie, I don't want to be blubbering incoherently in front of my students, and I don't think most of them would 'get it'
  • If you want to go back to the Henson well, I'd suggest Labyrinth to go along with The Dark Crystal
  • -Kurosawa's "Dreams" or "Yojimbo"
    -Besson's "Wasabi" or "Leon" (if it's not too violent for them)

I'd say "Reservoir Dogs", "Angel-A" or "Delicatessen". But I understand that even though they would like it, their parents probably wouldn't. Sucks to be a kid in the US I guess.
  • If it were on DVD yet, I'd say Summer Wars. Paprika's also a highly artistic film, but it's got a couple scenes in it that might not be all too appropriate, depending on how sensitive the folks are.
  • Fantasia.
  • edited August 2010
    -Kurosawa's "Dreams" or "Yojimbo"
    -Besson's "Wasabi" or "Leon" (if it's not too violent for them)
    I'd say "Reservoir Dogs", "Angel-A" or "Delicatessen". But I understand that even though they would like it, their parents probably wouldn't. Sucks to be a kid in the US I guess.
    Kurasawa would be too cerebral for most of them, plus most of them are loooooong.
    Also, Delicatessen was a terrible movie.
    If it were on DVD yet, I'd say Summer Wars. Paprika's also a highly artistic film, but it's got a couple scenes in it that might not be all too appropriate, depending on how sensitive the folks are.
    Paprika is one I haven't seen myself, so I couldn't judge.
    Fantasia might be a good one.
  • -Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    -Plan 9 from Outer Space
    -Reefer Madness (The MST3K guy are a Rifftracx Live! showing of this on Aug 19th at 8PM.)
  • -Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    -Plan 9 from Outer Space
    -Reefer Madness (The MST3K guy are aRifftracx Live!showing of this on Aug 19th at 8PM.)
    You want me to be fired, don't you.
  • You want me to be fired, don't you.
    Debbie Does Dallas