This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• For a while I thought Fantasy Football was football with Orcs and Elves and shit.
  • Pegu said:

For a while I thought Fantasy Football was football with Orcs and Elves and shit.

No, that's blood bowl. In which orcs and eveles uncovered the rules of war from the ancient "Nufgl".
  • Oh, so it is a thing. That's probably where I got the idea from.
  • Andrew said:

Type safety is pretty cool.

Yeah, but how can you get type safety using auto?
  • Apreche said:

auto just relies on the compiler to do type deduction at compile time, just as if it were using templates. There will still be type safety checks done at compile time after type deduction.
  • Andrew said:

Apreche said:

auto just relies on the compiler to do type deduction at compile time, just as if it were using templates. There will still be type safety checks done at compile time after type deduction.
    Aren't there cases where you can't infer the type at compile time because

auto x = function()

and function returns a pointer, and there's no way to know what the hell that pointer is pointing at?
  • Apreche said:

auto x = function()

and function returns a pointer, and there's no way to know what the hell that pointer is pointing at?

No? Your function declaration needs to define a return type. Things get more weird if you have automatic return type deduction though.

• Andrew said:

Apreche said:

auto x = function()

No? Your function declaration needs to define a return type. Things get more weird if you have automatic return type deduction though.

I guess that's true. I just see some situations where an object is stored in the heap. Meanwhile some function returns a void* pointing at it. The auto type will probably just end up being void*, and won't fail, but you would much rather have it know what kind of object it was referencing. But you can't know, because it's still compile time.
  • That's why you avoid returning (void*) wherever possible.
  • I was restricting myself to just the C99 standard due to project demands.
    It was crazy I had to write a tokenizer from scratch because the standard library of C99 had one that couldn't deal with empty tokens, plus I needed to ignore the token inside of a double quote.

I also wrote a vector struct and a priority queue struct because I was trying to solve an optimal pathing problem using Time Dijkstra's but was summarily told that I couldn't build my own data structures. I ended up with some hacky brute forced code which was kind of verbose for what it did.

However it didn't cause the kernel to kill the program like the person I was stuck with on the project, he put an array of 750,000 structs each was about 200 or 300 bytes on to the memory stack at the start of his program. I have no idea how he passed first year. Which had its values run against another array of structs of about the same size except 40,000.

I rewrote the entire thing in 2 days so that it ran in 3 seconds (it had a lot of I/O).

I woke up this morning to find he was had added 3 bugs and replaced all my switch statements with if else nests on a branch that that was 9 commits old and deprecated.

I couldn't be bothered walking him through the errors but quickly got functionality back and submitted 2 minutes before the deadline.

My brain is fried at the moment :D.
  • That's why you avoid returning (void*) wherever possible.

Obviously. But tell that to the library you just installed and desperately need.
  • Meh, the old one was better.
  • In the Patrol test I just ran, with the players as South Vietnamese National Police, the players...
    - Took a pitifully small bribe from a weapon smuggler without question.
    - Got drunk at the bar they were investigating.
    - Took up the bartender's bribe to start shit with another bar.
    - Got even drunker.
    - Murdered two dudes at the other bar with a machete.
    - Hid they bodies (they are policemen)
    - Decided to pick a fight with the VC.
    - Broke into a VC compound... to steal a truck.
    - Murdered their guard and stole his shit, including a grenade.
    - Both died trying to throw the grenade through a window as they pulled out in their stolen truck.

10/10 would ruthlessly oppress the citizens of Saigon again.
  • In the Patrol test I just ran, with the players as South Vietnamese National Police, the players...
    - Took a pitifully small bribe from a weapon smuggler without question.
    - Got drunk at the bar they were investigating.
    - Took up the bartender's bribe to start shit with another bar.
    - Got even drunker.
    - Murdered two dudes at the other bar with a machete.
    - Hid they bodies (they are policemen)
    - Decided to pick a fight with the VC.
    - Broke into a VC compound... to steal a truck.
    - Murdered their guard and stole his shit, including a grenade.
    - Both died trying to throw the grenade through a window as they pulled out in their stolen truck.

10/10 would ruthlessly oppress the citizens of Saigon again.

That sounds fantastic.
  • Yeah, dude. Seriously, Derek, we need to run that game next week.
  • Yeah, dude. Seriously, Derek, we need to run that game next week.

Yeah we do!
  • Online grocery shopping is a marvel of modern science.
  • edited September 2015
    It took reddit literally 24 hours to spew out a front page thread and a thousand conspiracy theories about how that young Ahmed Mohammed dude is just a fake, they set it up, and it's all to advance his father's political career. His political career...in Sudan. Where local american news like this likely wouldn't come up. Where the gap between incumbent and second place is an oddly suspicious five million plus votes. A number I can give you, because the elections they're accusing him of trying to garner popularity for already happened in April.

In short - there's Ahmed Truthers.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There is one not-impossible Ahmed conspiracy theory.

It's absolutely true that at no point did any of the adults actually think it was a bomb. They didn't evacuate the school. The bomb squad didn't come. They never actually treated the device as dangerous.

The obvious, and most likely true, answer to this is that their racism had them profile the kid as a bomber, even though they knew the clock was not a bomb, and they wanted to punish Ahmed, despite no wrongdoing. Also for the same reason people hate know-it-alls. Nobody likes anyone who is smarter than they are.

But what if the teacher was actually making a sacrifice. They knew that Ahmed was so much better than that shit Texas school. But there was no way for him to escape. Or was there? If they sacrificed themselves by doing something stupid, Ahmed would be a martyr, get to meet the president, get to succeed in life, etc. Maybe the teacher did stupid knowing it would result in good.

Or not.
  • I was actually hypothesising that actually Ahmed himself was gaming the system to his favour. He knew all his teachers were racist and stupid, and he knew he could get mass support from the social nets if he could cause enough of a story.

Hence not putting his clock in say a tupperware container, instead of a briefcase. Which is more likely to cause idiots to freakout.
  • Holy shit, content blockers on Safari on my iPhone is amazing. It's like having a new phone!
  • Holy shit, content blockers on Safari on my iPhone is amazing. It's like having a new phone!

Yesss. Too bad that guy pulled Peace from the app store. Crystal seems to work. I'm sure there will be an eventual winner, and that will be that.

What really gets me is how all the advertisers are saying that the problem is that they starting making ads too annoying, and that bad ads are the reason people want ad-blockers. No, the problem is all ads. At least when it comes to me, I do not want to see any ads ever. Get the fuck out of my face.
  • Apreche said:

There is one not-impossible Ahmed conspiracy theory.

It's absolutely true that at no point did any of the adults actually think it was a bomb. They didn't evacuate the school. The bomb squad didn't come. They never actually treated the device as dangerous.

The obvious, and most likely true, answer to this is that their racism had them profile the kid as a bomber, even though they knew the clock was not a bomb, and they wanted to punish Ahmed, despite no wrongdoing. Also for the same reason people hate know-it-alls. Nobody likes anyone who is smarter than they are.

But what if the teacher was actually making a sacrifice. They knew that Ahmed was so much better than that shit Texas school. But there was no way for him to escape. Or was there? If they sacrificed themselves by doing something stupid, Ahmed would be a martyr, get to meet the president, get to succeed in life, etc. Maybe the teacher did stupid knowing it would result in good.

Or not.

I don't think anyone ever claimed they thought it was a real bomb, I think the claim was that it was an intentional hoax bomb. Like with those Aqua Teen Hunger Force LED ads in Boston way back when.
  • Apreche said:

Holy shit, content blockers on Safari on my iPhone is amazing. It's like having a new phone!

Yesss. Too bad that guy pulled Peace from the app store. Crystal seems to work. I'm sure there will be an eventual winner, and that will be that.

What really gets me is how all the advertisers are saying that the problem is that they starting making ads too annoying, and that bad ads are the reason people want ad-blockers. No, the problem is all ads. At least when it comes to me, I do not want to see any ads ever. Get the fuck out of my face.
    I bought Peace, but then it was pulled before Juliane could download it. So I asked for my money back. I'm currently using Crystal and Purify.

As someone who travels a lot, and buys roaming packages, this is just fantastic. Normally after a few hours I use up the 150mb limit, then get downgraded to a slower connection. But today I used it for ages, and only used 70mb. And then when the signal drops down to 3G and E connection, pages load waaaaaay smoother and quicker. It's insane how bad the internet was, and I didn't even know it. Well, I kind of knew it, but to have it clarified so clearly is crazy.
  • My mom came up with the idea of Ahmed making a Kickstarter or etsy where he sells clocks. It'd be pretty lucrative if he started it before the media spotlight shifted away.
  • School zero tolerance rules are broken.

One only has to do a simple google search to find examples of students of all races with what seem like impossibly crazy cases of students being suspended or arrested.
  • AaronC said:

School zero tolerance rules are broken.

One only has to do a simple google search to find examples of students of all races with what seem like impossibly crazy cases of students being suspended or arrested.

Zero tolerance as an idea is kind of broken, very few things are actually black and white