This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• When the AR/VR technology is there, they should just use the parts of Detroit and other cities that even the crackheads have abandoned as game arenas. No need for some weird treadmill thing or an empty room and weird mechanics for when you get close to a wall. Just remap the world to whatever game you're playing. Shit for Fallout you wouldn't need to do much of anything. Well, move the bears first.
  • When the AR/VR technology is there, they should just use the parts of Detroit and other cities that even the crackheads have abandoned as game arenas. No need for some weird treadmill thing or an empty room and weird mechanics for when you get close to a wall. Just remap the world to whatever game you're playing. Shit for Fallout you wouldn't need to do much of anything. Well, move the bears first.

So, basically larping, with the help of VR?

• Apsup said:

When the AR/VR technology is there, they should just use the parts of Detroit and other cities that even the crackheads have abandoned as game arenas. No need for some weird treadmill thing or an empty room and weird mechanics for when you get close to a wall. Just remap the world to whatever game you're playing. Shit for Fallout you wouldn't need to do much of anything. Well, move the bears first.

Kind of like larping or laser tag, but you wouldn't necessarily need many other people around and it wouldn't just be mostly your imagination. More like an outdoor holodeck.
  • Apsup said:

When the AR/VR technology is there, they should just use the parts of Detroit and other cities that even the crackheads have abandoned as game arenas. No need for some weird treadmill thing or an empty room and weird mechanics for when you get close to a wall. Just remap the world to whatever game you're playing. Shit for Fallout you wouldn't need to do much of anything. Well, move the bears first.

Kind of like larping or laser tag, but you wouldn't necessarily need many other people around and it wouldn't just be mostly your imagination. More like an outdoor holodeck.
    Holodeck is totally larping too. Just with AI substituting for people. So it's larping for sad lonely people.

• Like this guy?

• Barclay had crippling social anxiety. He did eventually get that shit sorted out though.
  • Nils Lofgren is clearly awesome. Following him on Twitter, I've seen him do lots of stuff for fans who just tweet at him. RT a band's new album, play a specific song at a show -- today he's mailing a fan a signed poster just because he asked.
  • I feel very strongly that the Star Wars universe doesn't have televisions. Like, not just not having internet, but straight up TVs just aren't things. I cannot picture any person in the Star Wars universe sitting down to watch TV outside of maybe sports at a bar.

People in Star Wars listen to radio dramas broadcast galaxy-wide and go to holographic movie theaters that have a newreel, a cartoon, and two films as a showing. The radio plays have their sound effects made by a protocol droid behind a microphone.

I will fight you over this.
  • I feel very strongly that the Star Wars universe doesn't have televisions. Like, not just not having internet, but straight up TVs just aren't things. I cannot picture any person in the Star Wars universe sitting down to watch TV outside of maybe sports at a bar.

People in Star Wars listen to radio dramas broadcast galaxy-wide and go to holographic movie theaters that have a newreel, a cartoon, and two films as a showing. The radio plays have their sound effects made by a protocol droid behind a microphone.

I find your old-media romanticism disturbing.
  • I like it. It's like some weird early 20th century prediction about how we'd have super high tech versions of what they already had.

I find your old-media romanticism disturbing.
    I'm not saying that's better. Star Wars media is definitely inferior to our own.

I just feel super strongly that Star Wars is a super retro universe, like, it doesn't even compute to me for them to use technology and media the way we use it. Star Wars doesn't have a Star Wars in its own universe, if you get my meaning. I can't see Luke watching MASH, but I can picture him listening to the Rolling Stones while he tinkers with his speeder in the garage. Anakin and Padme never watched TV in her penthouse, but I bet they caught a movie in a theater on some special occasion and I am 100% sure that it was preceded with a newsreel with updates on the Clone Wars.

(I nerded on this concept more on my tumblr.)
  • There is, it's called Holovision. Shows Dramas, Holonet news, Imperial propaganda, that sort of thing. It's not in the films, but it has been spoken about in Star Wars Insider. And it's canon - In Rebels, one of the things they do is hacking into the Holonet News broadcasts.
  • Churba said:

There is, it's called Holovision. Shows Dramas, Holonet news, Imperial propaganda, that sort of thing. It's not in the films, but it has been spoken about in Star Wars Insider. And it's canon - In Rebels, one of the things they do is hacking into the Holonet News broadcasts.

There are facts that are true, and facts that are right.
  • Aren't there TVs in the bar near the beginning of Episode II? Showing spotts, I think.
  • Aren't there TVs in the bar near the beginning of Episode II? Showing spotts, I think.

There are facts that are true, and facts that are right.

• Churba said:

There is, it's called Holovision. Shows Dramas, Holonet news, Imperial propaganda, that sort of thing. It's not in the films, but it has been spoken about in Star Wars Insider. And it's canon - In Rebels, one of the things they do is hacking into the Holonet News broadcasts.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that episode of Rebels.
  • I'd say the films had the equivalent level of tech as when the films were produced. Luke probably had a tape deck and might have some 70's music, but since he was living in the galactic asshole he'd probably mostly have access to a mix of 50's and 60's music. Let's also remember he was a member of a farming family, so most of his entertainment was taking potshots at the local wildlife and getting into punchups at the local cantina.

Anakin and Padme couldn't have Netflix and Chilled but I bet they could have rented something from their local intergalactic Blockbuster that would get them in the mood. It would be funny though if they went to a movie, and the newsreel featured some battle he was just in and everyone around them are wondering why he isn't hobnobbing with a bunch of other senators.

I spent way too much thinking about this last night after I saw it.
  • I think there's money in starting a fitness club for nerds, and have themed areas.
  • I think there's money in starting a fitness club for nerds, and have themed areas.
    There are some workouts that are named after games and things like that. Like the Assassins creed or batman. From what I can tell its meant to give you the physic of the person/character. The Mario one would be a bit screwy.
  • Amp said:

I think there's money in starting a fitness club for nerds, and have themed areas.
    There are some workouts that are named after games and things like that. Like the Assassins creed or batman. From what I can tell its meant to give you the physic of the person/character. The Mario one would be a bit screwy.

Yeah that's mostly where I got the idea from. I'd guess that Mario would focus more on legs to get that jump height.

Poke-medicine-ball.
  • I don't know how it happened but I'm in sync in going to the bathroom with the IT guy. Kind of weirds me out.
  • edited October 2015
    Funny, I was just about to ask what this year's PAX shirt looked like. I think the only one I'd want is the one with the Atari cartridge style. Also, I don't understand the difference between tier 5 and 2. If you're just wearing it to sleep what does it matter what it looks like? Does tier 5 not fit properly?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I get the difference between 5 and 2, but I'm baffled by the existence of tier 4. Why keep them if there is no circumstance to wear them or sentimental attachment?
  • Yeah. Tier 4 looks good enough to wear to me.
  • edited October 2015
    I can't understand jumping directly from Tier 1 being acceptable outside-the-house wear to straight-up sleepy-timers.

My tiers go more thusly:

Tier 6 = has not yet been disposed of by being torn asunder into shop rags or given away.
    Tier 5 = shop/labor shirts where grease and paint stains are no problem.
    Tier 4 = Scott's sentimental shirt shit
    Tier 3 = Shirts for sleeping that are decidedly larger and comfortable and not at-all suited to any other decent activity.
    Tier 2 = Acceptable around the house/errands around town if you're going out and back. (aka driving to the corner store or the Home Despot)
    Tier 1 = Presentable shirt worthy of being seen by your peers who aren't so used to being around that even Tier 5 is totally whatever.

There are also many subclasses and genres within the tiers, including whether the shirt text contains potentially offensive or inappropriate content depending on company and event.

My Secret Tier is paintball event shirts.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Secret tier for me is Mystik Spiral tour shirt. No one gets it, but that rare person who does freaks out (and sometimes pays for my coffee).
  • How about 2 tiers.
    1. Good enough to wear outside and be "presentable"
    2. Wear at home, University or do chores like shopping in.

If either gets too worn, make them rags.
    Don't buy t-shirts that don't make it into tier 1 or 2.