This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Non-Shit-Talk of Your Day

Comments

• I bought RPG Maker VX Ace. I realized I have zero to no motivation to make any part of an RPG other than combat related things, so I'm looking to join a team. I'm hoping the RPG Maker forums work out, but almost everything on there looks like pure shit at best, and stalkerish self-insert fan fiction at worst. Here's hoping.
  • I have lots of RPG making ideas, if you're interested. I'm not sure how much work I'd want to put into it, but working out combat related things is way down my list of appealing aspects.
  • A forum RPG isn't a bad idea. I might make a thread for this later.
  • I am on day two of operation flyers for XP Fest now parked in Quincy
  • First pass on graphic design for the cards of the game I'm working on. I have definite feedback I'm going to give for a second pass but I'm curious what you guys thought.

• I feel the shiny highlight details on the round bits will probably not translate too well to print.
  • Ikatono said:

A forum RPG isn't a bad idea. I might make a thread for this later.

You may not have been around at the time, but the forum once had intentions of making a game, an animation, and a few other projects. They never worked out.

Not saying it CAN'T work, just... know what you're getting into, is all.
  • Going to be on a radio show in a few hours excitement!
  • Ikatono said:

You may not have been around at the time, but the forum once had intentions of making a game, an animation, and a few other projects. They never worked out.

If it's a tabletop RPG, I might be able to help you out. :P
  • I feel the shiny highlight details on the round bits will probably not translate too well to print.

That was one of the things that occurred to me. I was told it would be a sort of fade out with a light ring to separate it from the art. As is? I think I can see why they did it the way they did but softer is probably better.
  • Ikatono said:

The forum didn't know what it wanted to make, and randomly started projects with no real leadership and no real goals.

Many times someone has started a project and, with help from people in the forum, had a lot of fun developing it.
  • I am currently doing a playtest for my next product, basically a super-light version of Battletech built on a stripped down version of the Hardboiled ruleset. My goal is to release it with a nice little illustrated PDF inside two weeks.
  • I half want to start a podcast where we play through your games, dude. Battletech Lite sounds awesome.
  • edited December 2014
    The very first shot taken in the system was a railgun shot that gutted a reactor and oneshot a mech.

I feel it's working out.

EDIT: There's a mech wasting every turn venting their heat to try and get under control while another hoses them with gattling fire hoping for a crit.

As I was writing, they got a hit that broke the enemy's vents.

I half want to start a podcast where we play through your games, dude. Battletech Lite sounds awesome.

I would not be opposed to this.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I half want to start a podcast where we play through your games, dude. Battletech Lite sounds awesome.

Only if you can make your character capoeira :wink:
  • edited December 2014
    Capoeirabot is go!

EDIT: Also, logo!

The feel I'm going to aim for is super early BattleTech stuff, with the derpy inked drawings, airbrushed colour cover and super 80s tech design. Going to try and make a point of taking the art slow and making sure it's clean this time.
  • Testing is making progress. Did a test with the new draft, but things are still a little bit too Rocket Tag due to a combination of easy targeting, low armour value, and heat venting too rapidly; everyone but one person was dead before the end of the first Round.

But the actual mechanics are functioning just fine so far...
  • Amazing Steel Titans test today. Since the last test, I've upped the amount of armour people carry, slowed down the mechs, and adjusted heat generation. Things are much more plodding and interesting now. But it's still got that essential BTech feel...

Two mechs built pretty much identical; twin-linked flamethrowers, tons of speed, not enough armour. The other two were an armoured brick with a tiny gun, having sunk around a third of their weight into armour, and the final one was a mech that basically couldn't move, but was armed with two gigantic artillery cannons.

Know that profiles were kept secret from one another, with only vague descriptions.

Turn starts. One of the two flamethrower mechs wins initiative, runs right over to the other one at a high heat cost, and blasts it with the flamethrowers, putting it in the critical heat range. Then it sits perfectly still, as it had accumulated enough heat between the running over and firing the flamers to need to vent right away, and it assumed it would be safe as the other Mech would be stunned next turn.

Other Mech starts their turn, already over the critical heat range, ends turn and vents immediately. It fails spectacularly to get rid of enough heat. The reactor goes critical.

Both flamethrower mechs are immediately destroyed in the ensuing nuclear fireball. We've played less than five minutes.

The heavy brick mech hides behind a building. "Ha, nothing can hit me here but barrage weapons!"

The artillery mech immediately kills it with a critical hit from its artillery cannon.

Steel Titans continues to work as intended.
  • *reads play by play*
    Awesome.
  • I love doing pre-shit talk for moments like that.

It's also good to know that a walking grenade strategy is possible.
  • There was a rather serious exploit in the first version of the RAW where you could essentially walk back and forth on the spot to generate enough heat to be 100% sure your reactor would go critical when you ejected. Fortunately I nipped that in the bud pretty quick. Attempted suicide runs are still possible (and I added a "Firemech Core" instability feature for people who wanted to try it) but they are a lot riskier as the enemy has more chance to escape the blast radius.
  • I challenge them to try, with my new HugMech. Come to me, my children, so I may hug you with my nuclear arms.
  • Churba said:

I challenge them to try, with my new HugMech. Come to me, my children, so I may hug you with my nuclear arms.

... adding a clamp weapon right now.
  • Churba said:

I challenge them to try, with my new HugMech. Come to me, my children, so I may hug you with my nuclear arms.

... adding a clamp weapon right now.

• Super tiny nitpick here, but if you're talking about nuclear reactors, "critical" roughly means "working". Supercritical is closer to what people usually mean when they say critical.
  • edited January 2015
    Starfox said:

Super tiny nitpick here, but if you're talking about nuclear reactors, "critical" roughly means "working". Supercritical is closer to what people usually mean when they say critical.

Oh derp. Fixed.

Latest test resulted once again in everyone dying, though this time it was due to some truly silly rolls. I ended up removing the instant death threshold entirely and shifting the cockpit to the most difficult position to hit on the location chart, so even the most titanic hits will leave mechs standing, though quite fucked up.

Also, these morons built four Dreadnought mechs for our test and spent eight turns plodding around one another at minimal speed. (They designed without knowledge of one another's mechs.)
  • Thanks to duolingo I am moving forward on my German and Swedish.
  • Published another small game as I continue to work on Steel Titans and 5 Across the Heart. This one is called Turncoats and it's a GM-less game about being deserters. The core mechanic centers around advancing the game by complaining about your circumstances and the other players choosing to validate or engage with it. Tests were... I think positive is too, uh, cheerful a word to apply to a game that consists mostly of a group of players slowly being whittled down by petty bullshit, but it worked out as intended.
  • I am incapable of shit talk!

First, today I published a new small RPG! It's called I Want the Hand of the Protagonist! and it makes dumb harem shows happen!

Second, I am nearly done Steel Titans! It has rules for wargaming, roleplaying and tactics modes, mercinary modes, it has support forces, you can upgrade your mech, it has damage charts and like fifty weapons and it's amazing!

Get on my level, forum!

• What is your level?