This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Non-Shit-Talk of Your Day

Comments

• It'll be on iTunes and Amazon mp3 just before the official launch.
  • New album: released! It's called Bitterly Autobiographical and it's full of comedy music written, performed and recorded by me.

You can buy it here on the iTunes store or buy it here on the Amazon MP3 store. If you really want a CD, buy it from me in person or email me. I can even sign it.

Here are some photos from the album launch show and party. It was hosted by Paul Salamone, with extra comedy by Josh Telson and Joe Barron. Juliane also made an appearance for a performance of the song Robopope from the album Two Minute Pop.

Bitterly Autobiographical Album Launch

Bitterly Autobiographical Album Launch: November 6th, 2013. Photos by Juliane Kunzendorf.

November 6th, 2013. Photos by Juliane Kunzendorf.

Bitterly Autobiographical Album Launch: November 6th, 2013. Photos by Juliane Kunzendorf.

• I finished another project—a twitter bot which juxtaposes two phrases starting with "Imagine" mined from a twitter search.

Because of it, this morning I was invited to participate in a panel at the Electronic Literature Organization 2014 conference. I feel like an impostor, but funds permitting, I'm going to do it.

The bot: @AndNowImagine

• edited December 2013
    You just feel like an impostor. Don't worry, happens to the rest of us. The rest of us impostors.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • lalanl said:

Because of it, this morning I was invited to participate in a panel at the Electronic Literature Organization 2014 conference. I feel like an impostor, but funds permitting, I'm going to do it.

Have the entire speech in the Imagine...Now Imagine...format. It will turn it into a performance on how the bot works.
  • Your Twitter account got suspended. Gotta obey those API limit rules!
  • edited December 2013
    Apreche said:

Your Twitter account got suspended. Gotta obey those API limit rules!

Whoops! No, I think my link just broke somehow. Too late to edit now, so:
    https://twitter.com/AndNowImagine

You just feel like an impostor. Don't worry, happens to the rest of us. The rest of us impostors.

Haha! Thanks.
    Coldguy said:

lalanl said:

Have the entire speech in the Imagine...Now Imagine...format. It will turn it into a performance on how the bot works.
    That's a really funny idea. I think it could work well if I was presenting alone and VERY committed. I'm super nervous about speaking in general, and extra about people being able to tell I'm the least qualified of the presenters, so I don't think I would have the dedication your idea would require.

Post edited by lalanl on
  • When we presented at our first PAX back in 2008, we were by far the least qualified presenters. We've come a long way since then, but everyone has one first big speaking punch above their weight. ;^)
  • Instead of doing the whole speech like that, just give an introduction as Imagine Bot.
  • I like the idea of the bot and the resulting tweets, but I think if you make it tweet just twice per day, you'll get many more followers.

I subscribed, got two tweets within an hour, then unsubscribed again after looking through the timeline and seeing 40 tweets in the last 24 hours. 40 tweets a day would almost double my current tweet reading! That's waaaaaaay too many.

Why not let the bot run, but select the best two each day and post them instead?
  • I've been giving speeches at cons for about 4 years now. You never stop feeling vaguely like you don't belong. The secret? Be a really good liar. I suffer constant crises of confidence when I'm on-stage, but I'm fantastic about lying, so I never show it.
  • edited December 2013
    I don't think I'd go down that low, but some reduction may be a good idea, especially now that it's not *super new* anymore. I went with a target of once per hour because it seemed to be what all the botmakers I follow used. I could maybe make a second account that RTs the two with the most favs from the previous day, though.

I'm not sure how most people use twitter, though. I got too stressed with trying to read every tweet, so I adopted a more "dip into the stream and see what's there right now" mindset. I don't need to see everything, and people seemed to be annoyed when I would reply to a day-old tweet—it wasn't on their mind anymore. Most of the really cool or important stuff gets RTd enough that I'll see it anyway. The current frequency fits with how I use twitter, but expectations would definitely depend on use case.
    Post edited by lalanl on
  • Rym said:

When we presented at our first PAX back in 2008, we were by far the least qualified presenters. We've come a long way since then, but everyone has one first big speaking punch above their weight. ;^)

Neito said:

I've been giving speeches at cons for about 4 years now. You never stop feeling vaguely like you don't belong. The secret? Be a really good liar. I suffer constant crises of confidence when I'm on-stage, but I'm fantastic about lying, so I never show it.

These are both very comforting. Thank you.

• lalanl said:

I'm not sure how most people use twitter, though. I got too stressed with trying to read every tweet, so I adopted a more "dip into the stream and see what's there right now" mindset.

I think your current frequency is fine. Some people read every tweet, some people don't. I say it's better to tweet to little than too much.

Personally, I feel like I need to read every tweet, and for a while, it WAS overwhelming. So I just started cutting people left and right, especially ones that are followed by a lot of others on my feed. They'll RT the better stuff and spare me the annoying/boring ones.

• Matt said:

So I just started cutting people left and right...

I think this bot was one of my most-quickly cut for over-frequent tweeting. If someone I follow would retweet the good ones, I'd like that.
  • It depends on what your Twitter use is. With the way Luke described it, I follow at least ten times as many people as he does, as this account only shows up between many, many tweets. He's a light user of Twitter in that regard, and may not be representative of everyone. I don't know.

That being said, I wonder if there are more people closer to Luke's numbers or more closer to mine. I don't honestly know.
  • Average number of accounts that a Twitter user follows: 102.

I follow: 35

So yeah, a single account that tweets 40 times a day is going to get overbearing.
  • Ah. I follow about 500. So it's not weight on me.

But those numbers seem about right. If I only followed a few dozen folk, then yeah, would be overwhelming.

Based on that average, not sure that account could be considered too spammy to the average account. Depends on the person, I 'spose.
  • I read every tweet of the people I follow. I unfollow people who tweet too often unless the majority of their tweets are exceptionally interesting.
  • Rym said:

I read every tweet of the people I follow. I unfollow people who tweet too often unless the majority of their tweets are exceptionally interesting.

This is me exactly.
  • From my brief forays into the greater twitter world (doing global searches on random words) I'm pretty sure most twitter users are raging alcoholic racist 12-year olds. As for my own stream, it's mostly tech people, friends, and funny parody accounts that don't update too often. I dip into it a little over the course of the day, mostly glancing at it when I'm in line, or in the elevator, or when I need to finish waiting for scripts or git to do its thing.
  • lalanl said:

AndNowImagine

You inspired, me, so I made my own. In a world where people tweet moronic things, they get what they deserve. Now taking avatar suggestions.
  • Starfox said:

lalanl said:

AndNowImagine

You inspired, me, so I made my own. In a world where people tweet moronic things, they get what they deserve. Now taking avatar suggestions.
    Awesome! This is a fun one. :)
    For an avatar, I suggest Don LaFontaine:

I think the @s (unless they're opt-in) may be against the ToS, so if you're worried about being suspended, it might be a good idea to remove them.
  • Oh. I thought it would be nice to let people know. Oh well, I'll leave them off.
  • I submitted the same 5 panels to both Zenkaikon and Connecticon. however that may increase depending on some information down the line.
  • Sent in my application for [E]
  • I submitted my panel for ConnectiCon. Here's to hoping Inquisitor Jack gets to tell people how to win at Warhammer.
  • More playtesting of the game in progress. I may not be moving with prodigious speed like Neocloud but it's getting there.

A fellow designer who has been in on 2 of the four test sessions now said he much prefers the current iteration and he doesn't even like auction games, so I call that a double win. The game also seems to encourage shill/proxy bidding, which I enjoy.

What I have not heard from anyone but my hater friend who out me on the game design path in the first place is that it's too complex. It's meaty but at its core, it's simple.
  • I said I was going to make a podcast

I made a podcast.