This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Odd Stereotypes of other Countries

13»

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Oh fucking shit I want to go to Australia so bad. Nature is glorious. It's like you guys live on fucking Catachan.
    CatachanAustralia was colonized by humansThe English millenniaTwo hundred years ago, long before the Imperium of ManInternet was established. When the first exploratory probes Shipsarrived in its star systemOceans, the planetContinent was a deceptive, calm, green orbParadise when scutinized from orbitThe Sea, but when the first colony ships crash-landed on the jungle planetBush backed shore and the colonists had no way to escape, they discovered themselves to have landed on one of the harshest and most dangerous planetary ecosystems in the galaxyUniverse. The colonists only barely survived, holed up in their spacecraft rough buildings against the living, besieging jungleBush, a battle for survival in which undoubtedly many of them died.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2010
    We even have a common fundraising event called a Sausage Sizzle, where essentially, barbecues are deployed, sausages(and often onion rings) are cooked, put in bread and sold, often with a cold can of drink, and proceeds go to the group throwing the event - You'll often see them of a weekend outside Bunnings(Our big hardware store chain), or in parking lots all about.
    These happen on an almost daily basis at university. If you're a cheap bastard, two or three sausages make for a decent $3-$6 lunch.
    If I want a cold can of drink (I guess you Americans would call it a "soda"), I typically go to this one drink machine I know where they are only $1.20, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I really can't imagine what early Australia must have been like. You just went through hell as the prisoners of the English, they let you go on a HUGE continent that is beautiful, only to slowly discover that there are invisible inch-long jellies in the water that will painlessly (initially, at least) kill the shit out of you and spiders that will break your fucking bones.
  • You fuckers have me heavily, heavily considering a Study Abroad in Australia. Goddamnit. That's going to be a tough fucking decision.
  • edited October 2010
    I really can't imagine what early Australia must have been like. You just went through hell as the prisoners of the English, they let you go on a HUGE continent that is beautiful, only to slowly discover that there are invisible inch-long jellies in the water that will painlessly (initially, at least) kill the shit out of you and spiders that will break your fuckingbones.
    Fucking little Irukandji(IRR-a-KAN-jee) bastards. This is what they look like, which is irrelevant, because they'll kill you before you see them -

Things we also produce - Super Ballsy scientists -
    The first-known of these jellyfish, Carukia barnesi, was identified in 1964 by Dr. Jack Barnes; in order to prove it was the cause of Irukandji syndrome, he captured the tiny jelly and allowed it to sting himself, his son, and a life guard.
    Also, I'm admittedly not fond of jellyfish - I've got scars on the backs of my legs where I got stung by the famous Cubozoa, AKA, The box Jellyfish. I also had to give myself the shot of Chironex antivenom, because I was the only one sober enough to do it, since I was surfing, and all the rest of my mates were drinking and getting stoned on the beach around the fire. Stupid jellyfish. Stupid intravenous administration antivenoms. Stupid mates. Stupid shaking hands making me look like a fuckin' junkie.
    You fuckers have me heavily, heavily considering a Study Abroad in Australia. Goddamnit. That's going to be a tough fucking decision.
    I will buy you a bottle of rum. Good rum. And Take you out drinking.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2010
    Your jellies scare the everloving fuck out of me.
    I will buy you a bottle of rum. Good rum. And Take you out drinking.
    You make a profoundly convincing argument. I do love the drink. Especially good rum.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Knowledge.
    Sounds like a cool place. Thank you much, I feel very enlightened (and kind of want a shawarma now). =)
  • Sounds like a cool place. Thank you much, I feel very enlightened (and kind of want a shawarma now). =)
    It was actually kinda hard, I had to refer to wikipedia a bit - It would be easier by a few orders of magnitude to just take you out and show you what I'm talking about - but it's nice to know I did a decent enough job. I love droppin' mad knowlege.
  • edited October 2010
    It would be easier by a few orders of magnitude to just take you out andshowyou what I'm talking about
    Churbs, I'm not sure I'm prepared to be within a kilometer of a Gympie Gympie. The most dangerous thing I've ever been in proximity to is a Tarantula Hawk, and those don't really do lasting damage. You just go blind with pain, convulse, and scream at the top of your lungs involuntarily for about five minutes.
  • Churbs, I'm not sure I'm prepared to be within a kilometer of a Gympie Gympie.
    I kinda mean the food, but it's safe enough for short periods, and a short distance - about fifteen, twenty meters is reasonably safe for a period of time, without protective equipment.
    You just go blind with pain, convulse, and scream at the top of your lungs involuntarily for about five minutes.
    Is it wrong that I suddenly want to keep one(or more) as a pet?
  • edited October 2010
    Is it wrong that I suddenly want to keep one(or more) as a pet?
    They're actually really cool looking, for giant wasps. My aunt's friend got stung by once though, and he described it as, "Being stabbed over and over." That entire rear end is a stinger designed to fuck up tarantulas; it was a pretty apt description.

It's worth noting that it's the second most painful sting of any insect on earth. It's only surpassed by the bullet ant, which sears you with unfathomable pain for 24 hours, during which you may start to tremble involuntarily. Descriptions of the pain include, "waves of burning, throbbing, all-consuming pain that continues unabated for up to 24 hours" and my personal favorite, from a scientist who has intentionally stung himself with most stinging Hymenoptera just to document the sting effects: "Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel."
  • "Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel."
    Ah, the Schmidt Sting Pain Index.
  • I liked how he described pain with flavors and aftertastes. Man's got a gift.
  • Hmm. It seems you've played knifey-spoony before.
  • edited October 2010
    Technically, Europe according to Britain should read Europe according to people who read The Daily Mail and The Sun.
    I should really make one of those maps for Guardian readers.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited October 2010
    Europe as seen by Germany, France, Italy, UK, Bulgaria, America, and gays.
    The Great European Shouting Match
    Below features the Bulgarian point of view. Who apparently believes Sexy Fembots come from Poland.

Edited: Dang already posted. Apologies to The Gunter.
    Post edited by Delam3 on